It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EPA accused of singling out conservative groups, amid IRS scandal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Well folks, it seems that the IRS isn't the only federal agency that has been targeting conservative groups.

A second federal agency is facing a probe and accusations of political bias over its alleged targeting of conservative groups.

The allegations concern the Environmental Protection Agency, which is being accused of trying to charge conservative groups fees while largely exempting liberal groups. The fees applied to Freedom of Information Act requests -- allegedly, the EPA waived them for liberal groups far more often than it did for conservative ones.

The allegations are under investigation by the House Energy and Commerce Committee and the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, which is also holding hearings on the Internal Revenue Service targeting of conservative groups.

"I don't think it is fair at all. It is not fair to the American taxpayer -- the American taxpayer should expect and demand that the EPA treats everyone equally in regard to these requests," said Pennsylvania Republican Rep. Tim Murphy, a member of the Energy and Commerce Committee. "This cannot be tolerated. As we see more federal agencies with this kind of bias, it is and should be a concern for all of us."

LINK

Since both the IRS and the EPA are agencies under direct control of the Executive Branch and therefore Obama is the Chief Executive and the chief officer of both agencies I don't think it would be too far fetched to say that this is Obama using the "weight of his office", as he likes to say, to target groups that don't subscribe to is political ideology.

The more that scandels such as this come out, the more I think of Chavez and his actions after coming to power of using government agencies to silence and disperse opposition groups. This has been a typical strategy of totalitarian rulers throughout history.

So as not to be accused of being a "right winger" or other labels I will clarify that I don't subscribe to either of the political parties (cults). I have just as much distain for GW for his trampling of our rights with the Patriot Act and such as well. IMHO Republicrat or Democan, it doesn't matter, they are hell hell bent on power over the people. However I feel that Obama has taken his agenda and ideology to a whole new level of tyranny and the long list of scandels in the last 6 months is probably just the tip of the iceberg.
edit on 4-6-2013 by Nucleardiver because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Oh now that's just rude! First the IRS comes to take away your earnings for how you reported or didn't report them...then the EPA comes along to fine whatever is left from your pocket.

Hey...That's really uncool here! Either political direction, this nonsense has to stop!

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Nucleardiver

Very interesting, however I would not put this on the same level as the actions undertaken by the IRS, which seem far more deliberate.

To me, this is just partisan squabbling taking a ride on the publicity of the IRS situation.

The fact that they are complaining about exceptions bothers me. "ALRIGHT!!! THATS IT, NO MORE EXCEPTIONS FOR ANYONE!, and if you dont stop this bickering I am turning this government around and heading back to congress and no one can try to manipulate the masses"... Sorry flash back to childhood

edit on 4-6-2013 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Just anecdotally -

I live in a conservative area that was destroyed by Sandy. City agencies were tasked with demolishing and removing destroyed homes. The homeowners are now getting EPA violation notices calling for fines of up to $50,000. Connected? I don't know.

Maybe just some pencil pusher blindly following rules - maybe something more nefarious.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Now do you begin to see that we live in a Nazi dictatorship.
its Not just vote rigging ant more.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nucleardiver
Well folks, it seems that the IRS isn't the only federal agency that has been targeting conservative groups.

A second federal agency is facing a probe and accusations of political bias over its alleged targeting of conservative groups.

The allegations concern the Environmental Protection Agency, which is being accused of trying to charge conservative groups fees while largely exempting liberal groups. The fees applied to Freedom of Information Act requests -- allegedly, the EPA waived them for liberal groups far more often than it did for conservative ones.

The allegations are under investigation by the House Energy and Commerce Committee and the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, which is also holding hearings on the Internal Revenue Service targeting of conservative groups.

"I don't think it is fair at all. It is not fair to the American taxpayer -- the American taxpayer should expect and demand that the EPA treats everyone equally in regard to these requests," said Pennsylvania Republican Rep. Tim Murphy, a member of the Energy and Commerce Committee. "This cannot be tolerated. As we see more federal agencies with this kind of bias, it is and should be a concern for all of us."

LINK

Since both the IRS and the EPA are agencies under direct control of the Executive Branch and therefore Obama is the Chief Executive and the chief officer of both agencies I don't think it would be too far fetched to say that this is Obama using the "weight of his office", as he likes to say, to target groups that don't subscribe to is political ideology.

The more that scandels such as this come out, the more I think of Chavez and his actions after coming to power of using government agencies to silence and disperse opposition groups. This has been a typical strategy of totalitarian rulers throughout history.

So as not to be accused of being a "right winger" or other labels I will clarify that I don't subscribe to either of the political parties (cults). I have just as much distain for GW for his trampling of our rights with the Patriot Act and such as well. IMHO Republicrat or Democan, it doesn't matter, they are hell hell bent on power over the people. However I feel that Obama has taken his agenda and ideology to a whole new level of tyranny and the long list of scandels in the last 6 months is probably just the tip of the iceberg.
edit on 4-6-2013 by Nucleardiver because: (no reason given)

This is not surprising, the Obsma administration said from the outset they would use the regulatory powers of the EPA to do what they could not achieve through legislation. They started out saying they would do stuff like this.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Nucleardiver

So the EPA is accused of attempting as more often charging more doc fees conservative groups requesting FOIA docs than to other groups?

Hmm....folks appear to be scandal hungry.

Why not stick with the legit ones?

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

Yes, the liberals were given a pass 90% of the time, while the conservatives were
made to pay 90% of the time.

liberal groups have their fees for documents waived about 90 percent of the time, in contrast with conservative groups that it claims are denied fee waivers about 90 percent of the time.
www.foxnews.com...

This is the way the whole world is run! Conservatives pay, the corrupt stand with hands out.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

So says a Conservative Think Tank CEI based soley on and limited to thier own requests...in which they lump denied requests, requests that are in process etc. all into the "fees" category...compared to a couple selected Liberal groups selective averages.

Not seeing anything credible in the methodology, sample or sources of the numbers...

A rational mind would look for full stats, apples to apples, and numbers that aren't clearly warped and small.

I'll wait for actual evidence or a non-bias analysis.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 05:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Indigo5

Below is an excerpt of a letter written by Congress to the EPA.

The Committee reviewed over 1200 pages of EPA correspondence sent between January 1, 2012 and April 26, 2013 regarding fee waivers. The results of this review demonstrate EPA manipulated the FOIA fee waiver process.

www.epw.senate.gov...

Congress and the oversight committees are not conservative think tanks - I have no idea why you thought this all came from conservative think tanks when it came from congress.

It is the job of these oversight committees to make sure the different branches are doing the things they are supposed to be doing in accordance to law. The EPA is not honoring the FOIA regarding fee waivers - fee waivers are not for playing favorites.

Here is the problem with this - generally speaking.

EPA Denies FOIA Fee Waiver Requests 100% of the Time for State and Local Entities

www.epw.senate.gov...

This is shocking in and of itself. 100% of the time, the people who NEED to know the information most are being denied it free. Why would a state or local entity, who is trying to access needed information ever be denied it freely?

There is a serious problem in the white-house, when agencies that are answerable to the president are playing games such as what is being found with the IRS, now the EPA, the DOJ/AP, Benghazi...
edit on 9-5-2014 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 06:50 AM
link   
You don't build up massive para-military armed bureaucracies unless you intend to use them.

Likewise you don't spend decades feeding an imaginary political divide among the population unless you intend to use it.

Anyone by the age of 12 should have enough exposure to the behavior of others to know what human nature is all about.

Let's just say for a moment that the EPA, IRS, FDA etc... are all built on a foundation og holy altruism and never meant to be used in any nefarious way and let's go one step further and say that all the employees of said agencies are totally righteous and holy and just want to do a good job.

Okay, so we have legions of what are essentially tanks and bombers all staffed and ready with willing soldiers because that's what all these agencies are.

What does it take to turn a force for good into a force for evil when they're all sitting ready, convinced they're here for good and eager to do a good job?

A simple change in management. Not even the whole managerial structure. Just one or two positions at the right level need to be staffed by the right people and by the time the little pissant employees even realize what's happening we'll be five or ten years on with the new "weaponized" bureaucracy.

See, folks love to create all these agencies and regulations with good intentions completely disregarding the reality that things dont stay the same forever.

One man's "health and human services" is another mans death squad and all it takes is the changing of that one or two positions at the right level.
edit on 9-5-2014 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join