Reports: Iran’s Nuclear Reactor Cracked In Earthquakes

page: 1

join

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Several countries monitoring Iran’s nuclear program have picked up information that the country’s only power-producing nuclear reactor was damaged by one or more of several recent earthquakes, with long cracks appearing in at least one section of the structure, two diplomats said Tuesday. Iran is under U.N. sanctions for refusing to stop nuclear programs that could be used to make weapons, even as it insists it has no such plans. Its Bushehr nuclear plant is not considered a proliferation threat. But some nations are concerned about how safe it is. Iran has refused to join an international nuclear safety convention and persistent technical problems have shut the plant for lengthy periods since it started up in September 2011 after years of construction delays.

talkingpointsmemo.com...

Just happened? I'll look for Earthquakes in the area..

M4.2 - 92km ESE of Bandar Bushehr, Iran 2013-06-04 13:53:28 UTC

28.520°N 51.640°E depth=9.0km (5.6mi)
Nearby Cities

92km (57mi) ESE of Bandar Bushehr, Iran
92km (57mi) SSE of Borazjan, Iran
97km (60mi) WSW of Firuzabad, Iran
121km (75mi) S of Kazerun, Iran
275km (171mi) NNE of Manama, Bahrain
edit on 4-6-2013 by canucks555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Hell of a coincidence, gave up believing in them years ago.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by surfin4

Very coincidental, if you believe in the "HSAS" agenda .. (HARP Stuff and Such).

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by canucks555
Just happened? I'll look for Earthquakes in the area..

M4.2 - 92km ESE of Bandar Bushehr, Iran 2013-06-04 13:53:28 UTC

Edit - would be this earthquake on April 10.

A 6.3 magnitude earthquake has killed at least 37 people and injured 850 in south-west Iran, officials say. Rescue teams have been sent to the affected area, but darkness is hampering rescue operations.

The quake struck 90km (60 miles) south of the country's only nuclear power station in Bushehr, the US Geological Survey (USGS) says.

link

Not sure what the conspiracy is here. That part of the world gets earthquakes all the time, and is quite frankly, a dumb place to build a nuclear plant.
edit on 4-6-2013 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
It was Allahs will obviously. Will they rebuild in defiance?

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   
not a conspiracy
at least the op doesn't state that...
What I wonder is whether they used the right building material, IE: a "flexible" concrete//

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   

According to Kuwaiti geologist, Dr.Jassem al-Awadi, the plant is located at the junction of three tectonic plates.[37] However the United States Geological Survey and NASA characterise the geology as near the boundary of two tectonic plates, the Arabian plate and the Eurasian plate.[38][39] The plant is designed to withstand without serious damage a magnitude 8 earthquake, and survive up to magnitude 9.[10]

en.wikipedia.org...

8-9 mag? hrrrmmmmm
edit on 4-6-2013 by canucks555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Something tells me Moscow is getting some real irate phone calls about material quality and construction methods, given who largely built this for them. Ooooops.... You'd think it would survive a little better?

After all, the ones at San Onofre and Diablo Canyon in California have been through bad shakes too. Japan doesn't even bear mention ...and the quake isn't what did Fukushima. It was still running fine by data readings until the moment the wave wiped out power and generators.

Indeed..I think someone needs a refund or a BIG service call. Bad Russia...bad bad. Not the place to cut corners on contracts!

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Construction of the plant was started in 1975 by German companies, but the work was stopped in 1979 after the Islamic revolution of Iran. A contract for finishing the plant was signed between Iran and the Russian Ministry for Atomic Energy in 1995, with Russia's Atomstroyexport named as the main contractor. The work was delayed several years by technical and financial challenges as well as by political pressure from the West.

Didn't they use Wattle and daub in those days? lol. Seems like a few countries were involved in the project.
-Old reactor, the concrete has had a LOT of time to get stronger, and more brittle at the same time...

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   
As i recall, the Bushesher plant took about thirty years to completion with Seimens of Germany,,The Ruskies, and maybe one other major contractor.
Ive been harping on this safety issue before....
Nobody gets it that in the salt marsh air, with the temps going up to 130 deg,
Even Stainless steel rusts!
Now picture the project initially started, the a years long hiatus and the restarted, and then shut down and then finished.
Theres a lot of used parts in that junk pile, that may not be up to their origonal specs.
add that its in a majorly earthquake prone zone.....
Add to this that there are SIX different Gulf state Capitals , closer to Bushesher than teheran.
if this is gonna go chernobyl then there will be SHTF all over the [place....!
edit on 4-6-2013 by stirling because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by canucks555

I don't know the details. Russia comes to mind as having led the news for the final construction of the reactor core and supply of fuel as I recall reading it all at the time. It is quite a deal though.....What a BAD spot to have one fail. At least Japan had the whole Pacific to dilute the contamination. The little puddle of the Persian Gulf would be a REAL mess in record time. I notice they didn't build this up on the shores of the Caspian sea and in a more logical place for their population needs. I'll bet Russia told them not to even think it as a joke...considering they share the shoreline on that one.
edit on 4-6-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Now might be a good idea to build both a concrete factory and rebar factory close to this thing. (and other unstable "things" that reside all over the world, including the West.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by canucks555

this is not true. 8 earthquake is really rare for that place. but even 7 earthquake is just really rare. 6/5 earthquake is the maximum possible that I could believe.
however I am sure you know that the news sounds a bit like an entertainment.

top topics

join