It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video: 11-year-old Takes Down Monsanto in Ted Talk

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+42 more 
posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   

The fight against Monsanto has heated up like never before, especially with the recent March Against Monsanto and other campaigns that have been rooted in similar activism. But the simple reality is that it doesn’t take a PHD to realize how Monsanto’s genetic manipulation of the food supply is an assault on the health of the world — an experiment to which we do not know the full extent of the damage. Instead, as 11-year-old Birke Baehr shows us, it simply takes a bit of research.

Source

This kid is awesome. He knows his own mind and did his own research and came to his own conclusion.
He talks more sense in 5 minutes than most adults I know.
My faith in humanity: restored.

Mod Edit: All Caps – Please Review This Link.
Mod Edit: External Source Tags Instructions – Please Review This Link.
edit on 4/6/2013 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   
What a brilliant kid! Hopefully he gets to be in a position where he can contribute to shape our future.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by sarahlm

Thank you for putting this up, it was well worth the few minutes of my time. This kid was great and everything he said was the truth.

Good to see that more and more people are getting the word out on gmo's. The kid is smart beyond his years, his parents should be proud.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I can't watch the video, however, S&F for the stand against Monsanto.

Anything jab in the gut Monsanto gets is a good one in my opinion.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by sarahlm

What a great kid!
For all the parents out there, the most important thing this kid said for you to hear was "I'm home schooled"

Stop allowing your kids to be manufactured, grow your own!

You might not be able to take them out of the system, but don't just hand them over and hope they turn out alright. Be a parent and a teacher and make a remarkable human capable of critical and unique thinking, rather than a mass produced drone aiming to be a celebrity.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rocker2013
Stop allowing your kids to be manufactured, grow your own!

You might not be able to take them out of the system, but don't just hand them over and hope they turn out alright. Be a parent and a teacher and make a remarkable human capable of critical and unique thinking, rather than a mass produced drone aiming to be a celebrity.

That needed repeating

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   
That young man is awesome. Thanks for the post

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Great Video. An 11 year old holding his composier in front of a large audience like that is the impressive part of this Video. His knowledge was good too.

If you watch till the end, one of the related "other videos" choices is "Seeds of Death". I watched that one right after this vid. It is worth a watch if you havent done so.

On another note, California just had a vote on labeling GMO foods sold in this State and they voted "NO". I just dont get it. I am really at a loss how a big Democrat State like California does not want a label on there food showing that its GMO??

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by sarahlm

I know a lot of adults that can't speak that well in front of an audience, me included.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 10:07 PM
link   
While I agree with the message. (I despise Monsanto and everything they stand for)
I disagree with using children in such a way.
11 year old kids can be relatively intelligent. But, they lack the experience and context required to develop informed opinions of such things.

In a nut shell, he is a parrot taught to regurgitate what he has been told.
That is my opinion of this. Could I be wrong? Sure, but I don't think so.

Their intentions may be in the right place, but using kids makes them no better than Monsanto.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 10:17 PM
link   
The people laughing and snickering really needed to pipe down during when he was talking. I know the applause was ok. But seriously, it didn't seem like people in the audience really took anything he was saying into their reality. I really wonder if people leaving that conference will search Monsanto or GMO's on the internet.

You really gotta love this man for his bravery, and yes hes a MAN. A true human being who cares for the rest of us on this planet.

Thanks for the video OP.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

Lack the experience? He's probably had more experience then most people on this forum. He did his research and went to an actual farm. Then he informs the public by having this conference. How many people you know that do such things?

And of course he's regurgitating what he has researched, that's how it usually works. It's not like the things he was talking about were myth or didn't hold any value.

Who cares what age they are? You know what's really interesting about all of this though? Younger people tend to be more passionate about these sort of things, and they're not afraid to stand up for what they believe in.

Take this 12 year old girl for example, who talks about the Central Banking system.

Honestly, who cares what age they are, as long as their information holds to be true, and they did their research, what does it matter?

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by watchitburn
While I agree with the message. (I despise Monsanto and everything they stand for)
I disagree with using children in such a way.
11 year old kids can be relatively intelligent. But, they lack the experience and context required to develop informed opinions of such things.

In a nut shell, he is a parrot taught to regurgitate what he has been told.
That is my opinion of this. Could I be wrong? Sure, but I don't think so.

Their intentions may be in the right place, but using kids makes them no better than Monsanto.

According to his body language he is acting pretty normal and on his own. He is "Home-schooled" this means he is not publicly "idiotized" and as such is behaving as mature as a real 11 yo should act.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by brandiwine14
reply to post by sarahlm

The kid is smart beyond his years, his parents should be proud.

I disagree with you. He is not smart beyond his years he is smart as a normal healthy raised kid "SHOULD BE". I have worked extensively for some years with so called "street rats" in developing countries and although they might have been "dumb" in terms of academic achievements, their "logic" was way beyond most 30yo. This is exactly what i am used from "my street rats" on logic and expressions.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by hoochymama23

It's called vote fraud. You know where you vote no on something and it is recorded as a yes.

Why even bother voting when the real votes are just thrown out and what the counters want is voted in anyhow

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Sattro

And hopefully he doesnt get corrupted by criminals who seek greed upon this young intelligent mind

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Sattro

it posted twice, dam i hate the internett
edit on 4-6-2013 by Tlexlapoca because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by VforVendettea

Exactly. Or they paid voters to vote the other way. Or, considering the Commercials they showed during that time, they threatened increase prices.

I think our populous is so dumb today and doesnt care about looking into the facts.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 01:44 AM
link   

"Wir machen keine Lobbyarbeit mehr für den Anbau in Europa"
roughly translated by my skills to torture google.translate:

"We will not continue to lobby for the cultivation of genetically modified seeds in Europe".
Source

THAT is how you deal with Monsanto!
edit on 5-6-2013 by ManFromEurope because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Skjord

For sure you get a star from me. Well said.

Regurgitation of thoughts and ideas is when one doesn't understand a word s/he is saying. This young man clearly understood every word he uttered and understood fully the concept of genetic engineering.

Man thinks he has the knowledge to manage just about everything in this world--a singular arrogance that never fails to astound me. It's alarming to look around the world and see the mess man has made of the world's non-renewable resources in particular (much of the "managing" executed by university grads proving yet again the adage that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing). Nonetheless, no man beats Mother Nature at the very game she invented. Eventually She'll reclaim what is Hers and turn things around only I don't believe man will any longer be part of the mix.

So I add kudos to this lad's parents who've done an outstanding job at exposing their boy to the dangers inherent in food manufacturing (sic).

Just as an aside, I'd like to see the parents rehearse their son by getting him to slooooow down and be more deliberate in his delivery. His well prepared presentation needs to be milked to the maximum. People are funny. If it sounds like the kid is immature (which he is NOT), he won't be taken seriously by most adults. Unfortunate, but nonetheless true. Yep, I want to see more of this young man.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join