It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Off Seroquel For Almost Two Weeks....The Aftermath

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Seroquel dreams...
Were everyone else's as bad as mine.

Would wake up trying to find things that had happened in my sleep...like the five dollar bill in my pocket that I swore I had put there...among other things. Misfired memories were broadcasted like that classic scene from "a clockwork orange".

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by the owlbear

I rarely had nightmares, and my dreams have always been....weird. But I like weird dreams..

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
reply to post by the owlbear

I rarely had nightmares, and my dreams have always been....weird. But I like weird dreams..

Discovering tricyclic antidepressants in the early '80s was an epiphany for me. It was like discovering that I'd gone 30 years without knowing that I had an extra (or more) layer of skin that kept me from touching parts of Life that others took for granted. With time, I had to change meds but stayed in the same family. And Yes, I dream in Technicolor. Even dreams some might deem nightmares are entertaining because 95% of the time I classify them as semi-lucid. As a matter of fact, I solved one of my boss's COBOL bugs in my sleep.

Main thing is that folks don't start thinking the only answers in life come by prescription. In my case, it is well documented that my issues are inherited going back four generations.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

I'm so happy for you, smyleegrl!

Going against the grain when it comes to your physicians is extremely hard, especially when they circle their wagons, refuse to listen, and completely ignore some of the more calamitous side effects that medications cause, instead opting to load you up with even more medications to take care of the side effects of the first medication, but now you have side effects from that new one too ...

Mine was Fentanyl, and the benzodiazepines they often prescribe concurrently as it "enhances" the effects.

It got to the point where I had been on 8 different prescriptions, each attempting to band-aid the other.

Let me tell you, quitting that stuff with no help or guidance of any kind is no walk in the park, and I'm sure the Seroquel (and medications like that, such as Effexor - many people I've been in contact with take both) was a bit of rough road also.

Quality of life.

This is something that our doctors sometimes lose focus on.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by KyrieEleison

I'm still taking the Effexor, I've been on it for more than ten years now. I don't know what would happen if I tried to come off of it. Right now I'm content just feeling better w/o the Seroquel. Perhaps the next step will be the Effexor? Not sure yet, I have more reading to do....

Thanks for the kind wishes!

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   

The Effexor may not be as bad in and of itself. The combination, though ... many people don't react to it well.

What's more interesting to me is that you had already been taking it for some time before the Seroquel, not that I'm being nosy, but I wonder what the physician's justification was for this.

I really, really, really hope it was something more substantial than, "Well, give it a try and let's see if it helps. You'll have to take it for a while before we'll know, though.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl

I'm still taking the Effexor, I've been on it for more than ten years now. I don't know what would happen if I tried to come off of it. Right now I'm content just feeling better w/o the Seroquel. Perhaps the next step will be the Effexor? Not sure yet, I have more reading to do....

Thanks for the kind wishes!

Hi Smylee! I'm so glad you're feeling better!!! I just wanted to mention that Effexor has some serious side effects, too. I used to manage someone who was taking this med and exhibited severe emotional ups/downs at work (it was bad...). This person eventually confided in me that this medicine was causing major anxiety, depression, etc. and was trying to titrate off (I won't go into the specific behavioral problems but it was clear to both of us that the medicine was causing the exact symptoms that it was supposed to help!) . Bottom line: This person couldn't handle the side effects, eventually went on medical leave and did not return to work.

Sooo glad you're better - stay well!

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Well done kiddo i'm proud of you and your tummy bug might have came from stopping the tabs but any hoo well done and have a lovely summer with your family

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   

My insomnia comes from racing thoughts. I couldn't turn my mind off. Meditation has helped greatly.

I really, really, really hope it was something more substantial than, "Well, give it a try and let's see if it helps. You'll have to take it for a while before we'll know, though.

No...that's pretty much how it happened.
but live and learn, right?

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Yep!

It's how I was roped in also, which is why I asked.

Anyways ... good things! *hugs* and thanks for sharing your story with us.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   

I cold turkied off effexor and seroquel 4 years ago. The doctor okayed it after the fact, kind of chuckled and asked me how I liked that. I'm a little different and decided that I was going to own this experience and learn to like the symptoms. Cold sweats, head zips, major dizziness, and world class dreams that I couldn't wait to get back to if I had to wake up. I could go right back to my place in the dream. Some of the details of the dreams have come true in my real life. I do not recommend doing this at all. I'm just telling my story. A little bit of it. And poorly.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I Feel groggy all the time cramps and Burning pain in my Intestines It's ridiculous! My dreams are BLANK I don't dream.
edit on 4/6/13 by fr33kSh0w2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 12:36 AM
link   
I don't talk to anyone about my problems anymore.

The last person who actually listened and had good advice that helped me through hard times was my dad, and he died from lung cancer about 4 years ago this sunday.

nobody either has anything to say that helps because it seems like people just like to make my problems seem trivial and act like I'm just complaining about things so people in general can't help me.

I have found that the only thing that soothes is my three dogs(especially my mastiff), and the possibility of a love interest.( The possibility that there is a woman out there that won't # with my head and give me a chance seems to excite me)

I don't find life to be meaningless, and I don't find life to be too hard either, its just there are certain things that are emotional roadblocks to me right now, and the only cure to me is the constant build up of my own financial and spiritual empire.

The only thing that drives me is the memory of my dad being proud of me.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 05:15 AM
link   

May God Bless you every day into your future. Awesome post that I can see you're trying to help others. awesome!

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 06:20 AM
link   

GOOD FOR YOU! I was in a serious depression for quite some time and was on seroquil and a cocktail of other meds that would be enough to take down a horse..My moods were crazy, and i didnt seem to be any less depressed. Once, you break the chains you feel so much better.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 06:28 AM
link   

My Wife was on Seroquel for about 6 years before she started developing Abdominal pains. Her Doctor thought it was related to Female Organs....To make a long story short it was the Seroquel. This is a REALLY NASTY Drug. When you read the precautions you can see that side effects manifest themselves in SO MANY areas it's almost impossible to determine what's causing the problem. Although it may have it's place, given the choice I wouldn't take it.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by RothchildRancor

This happens a lot.

Very seldom will you find someone, even close family, who will understand unless they are going through or have experienced the same or similar. You were fortunate to have that in your father, but it is seldom the case for many of us.

If you have the means it may be a good idea to seek out a support group, whether it be in person or on an online forum, to speak with others who are dealing with the same problems and are in the best position to offer support and guidance. It's not a sign of weakness nor is it a blow to your pride - we all need somebody to lean on, from time to time.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Perhaps you should look into codependency. It may give you a bit of insight.

Have a wonderful summer.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Great I told you to do this months ago. I'm glad you learned.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   

I was on Effexor for a long while but as with most meds had to keep increasing dosage to keep same effect. I finally decided that was probably not a good thing. So I began to wean myself off. Went slow and carefully and the day after I took my last pill was the start of a three day nightmare. I would suggest that if you ever decide to move away from it that you do so using blood titers as the guide. Not quick and the frequent trips to DR are a pain in the ass but personally I can't see any other way to safely do it. Of course, everyone is different, my mom in law went off it with no trouble at all.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join