It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Volcanos Acting Up

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Recently, fifteen out of eighteen major Pacific Rim and continental US volcanos have started awakening; they are heating up and some of them are now belching smoke and hot lava.

www.ssec.wisc.edu
Volcano Watch -- These satellite images show some of the world's most active volcanoes. Additional volcano information can be obtained from the Michigan Tech Geology Department. The Java animations below contain the last four satellite images. Volcanoes are listed from north to south. These products are made available, in part, through an IBM Shared University Research Grant.
For active volcanos, refer to the Smithsonian's Global Volcanism Program.

www.volcano.si.edu...

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The recent and general heating of volcanos around the globe is following the pattern of global warming.

The one BigBadBoy we in the US are really concerned about is Yellowstone--a hole in the ground 600 miles long and 70 miles wide.

www.volcanolive.com...

Seismigraphs for Yellowstone show intermittant, locally-centered and continuous movement of rock masses.

www.seis.utah.edu...

Already ground temperature at Yellowstone has reached 200 degrees, trees are burning up from the bottom, and animals are fleeing the area.

USGS Historical Seismicity map for Western Montana hardly gives a clue just how active that area has become, under and near the Yellowstone Caldera.

neic.usgs.gov...

For more general volcano info see also www.fs.fed.us...

John Steach, Australian Volcanologist, has a comprehensive site with general and specific links listed below. His whole site is packed with information. Some of the live cam sites one can visit are always beautiful to see:--

BEST VOL-CAMS to monitor --

banana.ifa.hawaii.edu... -- Hawaii, smoking now

www.cenapred.unam.mx... -- Mexico, Popocatepetyl -- Smoking yesterday

www.etnatrekking.com... -- Italy, Mt. Etna, up close and from a distance at

www.albanetcom.com... and at night on this cam one can see hot lava trailing down the mountain in the background.

live-fuji.jp... -- Japan: Fuji, smoking and

yumemaru.com... -- Sakurajima, smoking yesterday

Mt. Ararat in Turkey is usually a gorgeous picture, but it's dormant at this time, as is the Santorini Caldera in Greece.

www.arminco.com...

www.santorini.net...

www.geonet.org.nz... is the jumpoff place to see five good cam shots of volcano calderas that could become reactivated at any time.

Related News Links:
www.volcanolive.com
www.volcanolive.com/volcanolive.html
www.volcano.und.nodak.edu
vulcan.wr.usgs.gov

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
vulcan.wr.usgs.gov...

The Yellowstone SuperCaldera Project

Volcano Erupts On Iceland - Planes Redirected

Mexico and Washington Volcanos Active- Coincidence?

[edit on 6-11-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Wow, I'm a bit concerned. I wonder if the Earth is about to have a major global volcanic event. If so it would probably be massive. It probably takes a lot to get so many major volcanoes going at once.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 08:40 PM
link   
A few questions about geology if anyone can answer them for me. What is going to happen to the interior pressure of the earth with all these active volcano's venting pressure? What is going to happen if all fifteen of these volcanos start erupting at once? Geologically speaking, what are the reprocutions of this amount of volcanic activity?

[edit on 11/6/04 by Kidfinger]

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 08:42 PM
link   
What I wonder is this: How does the core mass of the earth--molten rock and minerals--all heat up at once?

Where is the Source of this heat?

Doesn't somebody have to put GAS in the car to make it >GO

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I don't know a whole lot about geology but I guess that an eruption that large would relieve a lot of pressure inside the Earth. It would probably mean less eruptions for a while afterward.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 08:48 PM
link   
The core of the earth is hot because of gravity. All the preasure gathering to the middle causes the heat and valcanic activity.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 08:49 PM
link   
WOW awesome post Emily!

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 08:50 PM
link   
It's the same concept of the sun, minus the nuclear reaction, of course the reaction is caused by the heat. So basically the Earth is like a miniturized version of the sun, without the nuclear part. It's self sufficent, so it's a never ending reaction. The only reason I can think of for all the volcanos erupting at once would be some kind of pressure build up over the years.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Could it be possible that the effect of all of this Volcanic activity and resulting ash being spewed out could cause global cooling?

As I remember it through the distant past it has been shown that when major eruptions occurred there was a global drop in the avg. temp.

If all of these volcanos were to erupt I would expect things to get quite cold.

Very interesting post Emily

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Folks --

I've just been watching all this for a couple of years, not thinking too much about it. These sites also produce pictures of orbs and solar anomalies that I archive and I'm saving for posterity.

: ) Em

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Please, post some examples. Im intrested to see the anomolies captured in this area.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Sorry I am not an expert, but how common is this kind of phenomena, of so many volcano's becoming active, and how often have volcanos become active in the past. Further, with so many volcano's becoming active now, is it a sign of an eminent catacylsmic event? I am not exactly sure what is being insinuated here. Is something going to happen, or is about to happen?

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Ok, I think I have heard it all now!

Trees burning from the bottom up, I mean come on really!!!
I live about 2 hours from yellowstone and work at a medical facility and we have not heard of any casualities and the papers have not posted any warnings.
If the trees were burning from the bottom up, I think that they would want to clear the surrounding areas.

This article fails to mention other local volcanos that are probably tied to yellowstone, like to one in Butte Montana that has a white 'M' decorated on it. The M is for montana state university. This is the state university system. The volcano looks like a small hill. When I say small hill, I mean like a rolling hill.

Yes, I will give credit for the excellent link to the USGS site but they would definitely be warning us locals.

I have read a bunch of posts on these boards about yellowstone (I have personally been there 3 times) and I find non-locals making speculations about things they hear.

Since I am on a roll, I also think that these non-locals have seen the movie Volcano with Tommy Lee Jones, one to many times.

So I am left to ask,
Are u for real???

[edit on 6-11-2004 by Are u for real???]

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Most of the Volcanos that are active are in the Ring of Fire, correct? That being the case, if they were to go then we would be safest near the Atlantic right? But then again, if Yellowstaone went off, or several of he smaller ones, wouldn't that cause a nuclear winter? How many eruptions would it take to devestate our weather patterns?

Emily...my turn to have a theory about what is happening inside the Mother. You thought your's was out there.... Way back when people were in tune with the Earth and what she needed, they would take all the emotional nastiness they experienced in a day...anger, jealousy, stress, etc, and ground it. They would give it back to the earth. Although these energies could be considered poisonous to us, they feed her. Eventually, people discovered it was more "fun" to use it against other people. There came to be wars, violence, haterd of others. Let's have a very basic look at a plant. The plant produces things we need including oxygen. We use the oxygen and in turn give the plants our carbon dioxide which, although poison to us, makes them thrive. And the earth? Many say she is surounded by energy fields, ley lines, which are growing weaker. And because we are too busy throwing our nastiness at each other, she is starving. She gives us what we need to survive and we give her nothing. No wonder she's getting ready to scratch.....

Just a theory.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Sorry folks, no burning trees, no casualties. No warnings or alerts. Everything is fairly normal around here right now. The center of the earth is kept molton by a combination of pressure and the friction caused by a solid shell spinning around the liquid interior.

If ALL these volcanos let go at once there is no doubt it would have a cataclysmic effect on on the global climate, but I seriously doubt that is a real concern at this time. Still, no one REALLY understands the volcanic process enough to say for sure if one or all are even close to blowing. There doesn't seem to be any panic in the geologist circles, though and I think I would trust them more than a lot of the sites listed above.

wait..... whats that rumble??????

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Emily was close in the line of thinking. It has been speculated that as earth's magnetic field fades that the volcanic activity would increase. Whether it would or whether it is as a result remains to be seen.

Now on the issue of Yellowstone. There have been tree kills. Yes this is a fact. Burning from the bottom up may not be the correct answer. Some have died due to flooding around Yellowstone Lake as a result of ground deformations. I believe some have also died from CO2 venting in areas. Also it is true that ground temps have reached 200 degrees in some areas and that some trails were closed because of dangerous conditions. This all is absolute fact. Now I believe it was discussed on this site in the past and proven false when it comes to animals leaving the park.

But Emily is more on the money than you think.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kidfinger
A few questions about geology if anyone can answer them for me. What is going to happen to the interior pressure of the earth with all these active volcano's venting pressure?

Absolutly nothing.

Volcanos are very very very very vey very very tiny compared to the surface of the Earth. Furthermore, there were times past when there were more active volcanos than now and not much happened.

What is going to happen if all fifteen of these volcanos start erupting at once? Geologically speaking, what are the reprocutions of this amount of volcanic activity?

The formation of new land. Where lava flows you'll get new lava on top of old lava. If it hits the ocean, you'll get new land forming at the edge of the ocean... same as always.

And fifteen active volcanos around the world isn't a lot of active volcanos. Currently there are about 40 active volcanos (if memory serves) with different levels of activity.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 10:45 PM
link   
The heating of the earth's interior in most of the ring of fire is caused by subduction zones, where two continental plates are rubbing together, and one slides underneath the other. This generates the heat and pressure that eventually rises in the form of magma to the surface, causing the volcano to erupt. As far as so many of them erupting, it would depend on the amount of ash and gases they are releasing into the the air. If it is a large quantity, it may cool the earth by a degree or two for a few months, but that may be offset by global warming anyhow. Otherwise, most of the effects would be on a local level.

Magick

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Global warming when it comes to an event like Yellowstone will be meaningless. Any level of GW if it exists at all will be crushed and we will be thrusted immediately (within months) into a volcanic winter that ultimately brings on an ice age. Events such as Yellowstone are great to read about and think about. But I'd never want to experience it.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indy
a volcanic winter that ultimately brings on an ice age.

And how do you keep warm if there is no oil and no trees to burn? You need electricity. A windmill i.e. would be nice then...

[edit on 2004/11/6 by Hellmutt]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join