It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deserts getting greener--because of CO2?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

Beep, beep! There's more camouflage for sneaky roadrunners and wily coyotes in the deserts thanks to rising carbon dioxide levels in the atmosphere, a new study finds.

Between 1982 and 2010, leaf cover on plants rose by 11 percent in arid areas, including the southwestern United States, Australia's Outback, the Middle East and some parts of Africa, the study found. The results were published May 15 in the journal Geophysical Research Letters.

The research confirms a long-held suspicion that one of the side effects of global warming will be lusher plant life. Plants pull carbon dioxide from the air — the gas is part of a chemical process called photosynthesis that plants use to make food. More carbon dioxide should lead to an average increase in vegetation across the globe, which studies have found in recent decades. But increased rainfall or changing temperatures could also be responsible for the new growth.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by MuzzleBreak

Very nice picture. I wonder if this continues whether it maybe help reduce desert sand creep. That would then be a good thing, yes?

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Stands to reason, green houses use CO2 to help plant develop better all the time, if anything it would act as a blow off valve to stymy increased CO2 in the atmosphere.

IF only we could stop the deforestation that is still going strong in various places around the world.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Yes, CO2 is a fertilizer. It’s been common working knowledge in greenhouses for as long as I can remember.

That is why they use ventless heat in greenhouses during the winter. Besides the heat, it also pumps CO2 into the confined space to push the CO2 levels above normal. It helps the plants grow faster, and it makes the plants more resistant to other stresses that could cause them to not grow, or kill them.

Just do a google search for “greenhouse CO2 enrichment”

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Plants like co2 as they need it.
Goverments like co2 as they can tax it.
The stockmarkets like co2 as they can trade it to make money.

Summary

Current evidence suggests that that the concentrations of atmospheric CO2 predicted for the year 2100 will have major implications for plant physiology and growth. Under elevated CO2 most plant species show higher rates of photosynthesis, increased growth, decreased water use and lowered tissue concentrations of nitrogen and protein. Rising CO2 over the next century is likely to affect both agricultural production and food quality. The effects of elevated CO2 are not uniform; some species, particularly those that utilize the C4 variant of photosynthesis, show less of a response to elevated CO2 than do other types of plants. Rising CO2 is therefore likely to have complex effects on the growth and composition of natural plant communities.

Nature.com

It's not that all co2 is bad it's just that goverments don't know what the effects of more
of it in the air will do so they try to stop the public making more by taxing it and making
co2 the big bad till they find out what the most likely out come is.
Thats why they got projects running like the one in the link.

But somewhere along the way the goverment got a little to keen on the
money the taxes rise.

And sorry about the pic i got it off a teen nature site.
edit on 3/6/2013 by skuly because: if only all flowers smiled.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   

so this means that life can grow anywhere aslong as their is enough co2? so its not about h20 making life, its about c02 making life

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Tranny
Yes, CO2 is a fertilizer. It’s been common working knowledge in greenhouses for as long as I can remember.

That is why they use ventless heat in greenhouses during the winter. Besides the heat, it also pumps CO2 into the confined space to push the CO2 levels above normal. It helps the plants grow faster, and it makes the plants more resistant to other stresses that could cause them to not grow, or kill them.

Just do a google search for “greenhouse CO2 enrichment”

Just like everything... in moderation:

Too much CO2 is bad to the plants. Too high CO2 level lowers plants' transpiration during photosynthesis: without or with less transpiration less nutritive solution is drawn thru the plant, thus less food enters the plant and growth slows down. Under too high CO2 level, necrosis spots (dead vegetal tissue, Figure 2) appear on leaves that may also roll into themselves. These dead tissue spots are a great food for bacteria and molds. Too much of a good thing, again, turns out bad results like a lower weighted yield per plant and a lower quality produce.

www.novabiomatique.com...

It would make sense that plants are popping up in these arid climates, considering the lack of nutrient levels, with an increase of CO2. The CO2 could have been the missing ingredient that allows for these plants to thrive in these climates. As well, I'd imagine that these increases of CO2 at is regionally concentrated. I'd be surprised to hear that the densities of forests around the world are seeing this 11% increase. If that makes sense.

Interesting link, btw. It's a good read.

CO2 is ridiculous to purchase, from what I've found. I've been trying to find CBA's to better educate myself as to if it's worth the investment. I own two 3000 sq ft greenhouses, with 2 more currently in construction. If anybody has any information on this, I would love to see it.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tlexlapoca

so this means that life can grow anywhere aslong as their is enough co2? so its not about h20 making life, its about c02 making life

Every part counts, yes H20 is necessary, but we can thank evolution that allows these plants to survive in such climates. Maybe there's always been just enough water, but with out the CO2, you have no plants....

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   
It would almost seem like Earth has a built in gas management system. Plants act as oxygen generators that keep the gases in balance. Not only do plants grow better wtih co2, they also produce more breathable air. Brilliant on nature's part. She has a solution for every problem we try to create for her. Even the ocean will heal itself, if given the chance. This planet truly is alive.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Oannes

and if humans become a disease will earth get rid of us?

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tlexlapoca
reply to post by Oannes

and if humans become a disease will earth get rid of us?

No, I don't think the earth is able to identify threats, rather... it is like a versatile tree that can produce fruits dependent on condition. It's not as if 'Earth' says.. "those pesky humans, lets create an environment not suitable for them", rather it's "I don't have a consciousness, everything is, for if it wasn't nothing exists... lets create and play survivor." Sorry for the anthropomorphism/ToM example, it's the best I got. I guess what I'm saying, is that we either evolve or die, luckily we have intelligence on our side... Once we can survive off this rock, nothing can stop us.

#NASA

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by retirednature

I see what your saying its survival of the "fittest", anthropolitically speaking lol.

Once we can survive off this rock, nothing can stop us.

hey, hey, hey wait a minute don't get too carried away now

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Maybe the governments in certain countries knew about this effect and wanted to reduce CO2 to stop Africa from thriving. I mean, look what happened to Gadaffi.

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   
What could it be like if everybody just planted one skinny tree..............

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Tlexlapoca

Yes. I believe she will eventually if we don't smarten up. Hurricanes, tornadoes, floods, tsunamis, sink holes, Volcanoes, super bugs, crazy cold and crazy heat. You name it. She can make it.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   
CO2 is just not the limiting factor of plant growth. There is way more than enough as is for more plants to grow.
That whole argument "CO2 is good for plants" is simply retarded. Yes, they require CO2. The fact is we've been cutting down all the plants! Lack of CO2 wasn't making them die!

edit on 3-6-2013 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375
CO2 is just not the limiting factor of plant growth. There is way more than enough as is for more plants to grow.
That whole argument "CO2 is good for plants" is simply retarded. Yes, they require CO2. The fact is we've been cutting down all the plants! Lack of CO2 wasn't making them die!

edit on 3-6-2013 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

the best CO2 concentration for many plants to grow is in the 1200-1500 ppm range. It would take another 800 years to reach those levels at the current rate of increase.

www.novabiomatique.com...

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Well, if we can keep the CO2 at ground level than it will help the plants grow. However there are no trees or plants way up in the atmosphere where the CO2 is troublesome. I think the Jets need to be restricted myself, they fly at 35000 feet.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
Well, if we can keep the CO2 at ground level than it will help the plants grow. However there are no trees or plants way up in the atmosphere where the CO2 is troublesome. I think the Jets need to be restricted myself, they fly at 35000 feet.

Carbon dioxide is about 50% denser than Nitrogen Or Oxygen, and tends to stay lower in the atmosphere.

www.engineeringtoolbox.com...

top topics

join