It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oculus Rift Co-Developer Innocent Victim of Runaway Police Chase

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   
www.complex.com...

"Andrew Reisse, lead engineer and co-founder of the Oculus Rift VR headset, was killed Thursday in Santa Ana, Cali., after being hit by a speeding car allegedly fleeing law enforcement.

Reisse, 33, was walking across a crosswalk when he was hit by a vehicle that had been engaged in a high speed chase with local police in the area. Both the driver and the vehicle’s two passengers were allegedly gang members."

Wrong place at the wrong time, or do you think this was a hit to slow or stop the Rift from being developed?

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rulkiewicz
or do you think this was a hit to slow or stop the Rift from being developed?

A hit by whom? Killing this guy won't slow down development. It's not even particularly impressive hardware.

Who's going to murder some dude over a not-very-good VR headset?

Ridiculous.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sankari
[Who's going to murder some dude over a not-very-good VR headset?

Ridiculous.

Have you tried it out?

I know the developer model only has a 1280x800 resolution, but they're working on higher resolutions for the consumer model. This is just a prototype and it's getting a lot of support, and when I say a lot I mean A LOT.

Anyway, I don't know why anyone would want to stop it, plus I don't think this incident will stop it.

Who do you think would want to stop it and why?

However, if the other co-founder dies suddenly...

I think it was just a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I really don't think Nintendo put a hit out on Gunpei Yokoi, either.

edit on 3-6-2013 by Junkheap because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Sankari

Have u tried it?

I heard its amazing!!!! I think this is groundbreaking vr gear and will revolutionize gaming and internet surfing. Its likethe first iPhone.

Eventually we'll have matrix like vr and this oculus rift will be the initial prototype.

Time will tell

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   

www.complex.com...

"Andrew Reisse, lead engineer and co-founder of the Oculus Rift VR headset, was killed Thursday in Santa Ana, Cali., after being hit by a speeding car allegedly fleeing law enforcement.

Reisse, 33, was walking across a crosswalk when he was hit by a vehicle that had been engaged in a high speed chase with local police in the area. Both the driver and the vehicle’s two passengers were allegedly gang members."

Wrong place at the wrong time, or do you think this was a hit to slow or stop the Rift from being developed?

Wrong place wrong time, namely Orange county and near overzealous OC PD..

The police dept in the OC are wreck-less and over aggressive, SO Ca has a long history of the police endangering the Citizens during police chases.

Specifically Anaheim, Santa Ana, Brea PD's, The only conspiracy here is that its all a result of Disney Funding the Departments around them with the goal of driving out the "trouble makers" in Anaheim.

Living in that area my whole life it was well known the city did every effort to drive "Crime" (meaning poor) INTO Santa Ana and away from Disney Anaheim Theme park.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl

www.complex.com...

The police dept in the OC are wreck-less and over aggressive, SO Ca has a long history of the police endangering the Citizens during police chases.

Specifically Anaheim, Santa Ana, Brea PD's, The only conspiracy here is that its all a result of Disney Funding the Departments around them with the goal of driving out the "trouble makers" in Anaheim.

Living in that area my whole life it was well known the city did every effort to drive "Crime" (meaning poor) INTO Santa Ana and away from Disney Anaheim Theme park.

Totally agree..
i mean if those innocent sweet gang bangers were not being picked on by the man than this never would have happened.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by opethPA

Originally posted by benrl

www.complex.com...

Totally agree..
i mean if those innocent sweet gang bangers were not being picked on by the man than this never would have happened.

Maybe they where maybe they weren't, at the point the police chase is more dangerous to the citizens than the crime committed the cops are supposed to back off.

Ive dealt with the PD in the area and have personally seen the abuse and "spin" they put on stories like this to make the cops seem better.

The one incident I personally remember is a similar case, Friends brother was killed in a police stop, witnesses (Which included the friends Mother as they where outside his house) said he was handcuffed when shot ETC.

Turned into "gang Bangers" Fleeing the cops.

IM instantly Suspicious of anything police in the area claim.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by opethPA
Totally agree..
i mean if those gang bangers were not being recklessly pursued by police than this never would have happened.

There, I fixed the quote for you, for greater accuracy.

You're welcome.

And I agree-- the above statement seems true to me, too.

I could have sworn california cops had strict rules about high speed pursuit-- specifically because of incidents like this having happened in the past....

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Without knowing all the facts on this case..if the alleged gang bangers broke the law then they are just as if not more responsible for yet another innocent life being lost.

Yup, the cops are to blame for engaging in a high speed chase in a residential area.
Yup, the suspects are more to blame for breaking the law and causing that chase.

Again both are predicated on the info in that story being accurate.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Junkheap

Originally posted by Sankari
[Who's going to murder some dude over a not-very-good VR headset?

Ridiculous.

Have you tried it out?

No, but I've seen a lot of reviews and they're not terribly exciting.

I know the developer model only has a 1280x800 resolution, but they're working on higher resolutions for the consumer model.

They'll sure as hell need it, because 1280x800 isn't gonna be rustling anyone's jimmies.

Who do you think would want to stop it

Absolutely nobody.

I think it was just a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I agree.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I just tripped over this platform today. I had no idea and I can 't wait!!! This is the only thread I found on the Rift so I am in no way celebrating this guy getting hit by a car but I just had to say as a person that started out on... It starts w/ an A... Haha I for one am excited over this type of platform finally coming out. I knew it would...

Rift News/ updates
edit on 25-9-2013 by tracehd1 because: Link

new topics

top topics

join