It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mayhem in the city: 25 people shot in 48 hours

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Philadelphia didn't want to feel left out..

9 people shot in 24 hours..

www.philly.com...

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by soulpowertothendegree

Well of course you're right about saying even 1 killing is too many to tolerate. Far too much. Gun, knife or plain old red brick upside the head. Method doesn't matter...just the homicidal mania that brought it about.

I think my concern in making this thread is that record killing sprees in cities such as Chicago are coming to be regular things. Breaking their own records with new horrible ones...is coming to be common place in ways I've never seen before.

The closest I've ever seen in my living memory, as I believe I mentioned in the OP, were the coc aine wars of the 1980's where every major city in North America was on fire from the introduction of crack as the new "super-nightmare" of instant addiction and anything to get more. That brought on waves upon waves of killing...but it passed in time. Eventually....and it's been comparatively quiet, until recently.

Now we're back to the bad old days of broad daylight massacres and records set city-wide, in multiple cities around the same general time. That should be enough to make anyone do a double take.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

25 people losing their life in 48 hours is a tragedy. However, this is not some kind of epidemic. 25 people out of a population of 18.9 million(8,336,697 in the city limits alone) in the New York Metropolitan Area is barely a statistic. Sheesh, that number is a luxury considering the history of the world. I can guarantee that far more than 25 people have died as a result of murder in a 48 hour time frame in the past.

All emotions aside, 25 people killed by violence in an 18.9 million population in 48 hours is a testament to the advances the human race has made in the areas of society and civilization. In the distant past, a figure such as this would not have been a statistic much less a vehicle for a debate.

edit on 4-6-2013 by My_Reality because: ERROR!

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by My_Reality

Well, those are some interesting stats there. Let me play a little too. 25 Homicides in 48 hours.... 12.5 per day on average for those two days. That's just one city of a multitude of large ones and countless smaller ones. As I mentioned, if extrapolated, it's over 4,500 homicides per year. So... You figure 25 in two days is a small thing and irrelevant, statistically speaking. I absolutely disagree...but let me explain why. That always helps.

According to stats kept by the F.B.I., in 2011 there were 12,664 total murders in the United States. Thats across all 50 states, territories and possessions which the FBI tracks stats on for it's Criminal Justice Information System. It works out to just 34 per day, 365 days a year for that average.

So... Out of 300 million..since population figures are one you want to use, 34 per day is the norm in a recent year. In this 2 day period, in just under 19 million of those 300+ Million, they managed to pull roughly 1/3 of the ENTIRE national average for the same time period.

If that isn't a set of numbers to take some notice on, what is the number you'd care about? 20 per day? 50 per day? 100? If a city already blows the averages and starts to actually measure to the NATIONAL average all by itself? I'd say they had a real real bad couple days, to say the very least.

------

Additionally, this wasn't Chicago where murder is getting to be a regular sport for the locals. This is New York City. Recall that number from the OP piece. 25 in 2 days. 12.5 per day for that period.

414 Homicides in ’12 Is a Record Low for New York City

That comes to 1.13 per day, to stay solid on stats. Which means, their recent bad murder spree accounted for 6% of their entire 2012 yearly murder rate ...in just 2 days.

New York even had a much happier record here recently.

No murders in NYC over 9 days amid frigid temps

Now that's amazing for that same population of millions, eh?

All in all, despite the approach of 'nothing to see here', I'd say this was quite significant and the crime stats from both the New York City Government and the FBI national crime tracking statistics both support it in real loud terms, as it happens. Prior to checking for this reply, I hadn't realized just HOW bad the numbers this thread was based on, really were.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Vasa Croe

The 12 shot in Brooklyn was one shooter. He left a five year old paralyzed from the waist down .
I'm unsure if the Bronx and queens are related . I dont think the Manhattan shooting is connected .
It wasn't this bad even in the 70s ,when we had stuff like Fort Apache .
I think some of it is not by chance .

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Sincs ghoulianni ,its my contention that they have played with murder and crime stats ,to make them lower than they really are. I have no doubt fuhrer bloomberg plays with lots of numbers,and lies to the public regularly .
Alleged terror attacks on nyc,that were of course foiled ,were just to boost his wanning popularity stats .
Kelly is completely in on it.
The only reason crime ISN'T HIGHER,is because of all the guns.
During sandy recovery ,if you drove thru rockaway and Howard beach,numerous house had signs .
YOU LOOT,WE SHOOT .
edit on 05/28/2013 by PtolemyII because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by havok

They will use this as an excuse to find ways to confiscate . That would be the point ,if it was orchestrated ...*coughs*

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

It was hotter during the week . Like sweltering . It's not like people who hang out at night in these areas ,don't do it every night. They do . The projects in Brooklyn and the Bronx go all night,every night .Especially when its hot.
The temps were slightly lower on Saturday,and the heat wave broke Sunday .

Gang members don't have jobs,and these kids are out every night . Every night is the weekend .

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 01:06 AM
link   

I understand why you interpreted my post in the way you have. That was not the point I was trying to make. In an ideal civilization I would want a violent murder rate at 0% of 16.9 million people. At 33.8 million people. At 67.6 million people. And so on. What I was trying to convey is that we, as a species, have come a long way from the past. Humans, as a species, have come a long way from 10,000 years ago. Of course, we could do better. My point is that we should not begrudge our achievements because of what happened in the past. What do you think the world would have been like 1000 years ago combined with the social advancements of our present era? I think we, as humans, would have been far more advanced than we are today.

I am not downplaying our faults in the modern world. I am trying to say that "things" are not as bad today as they could have been. That is the blessing that I see with the advancements our species has made in the recent centuries.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 04:52 AM
link   
Only in 'Merica

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 04:56 AM
link   
The news is saying the body count is for Friday thru Sunday . Three days .
So not 48 hrs,but 72 .....does this somehow make it less shocking ....

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by My_Reality

I am not downplaying our faults in the modern world. I am trying to say that "things" are not as bad today as they could have been. That is the blessing that I see with the advancements our species has made in the recent centuries.

I may well have misunderstood your direction. You have an interesting point there too. It's been a few (or maybe about 13) years since I had serious good feelings and hope about the direction we were going overall, as a species. World War has a way of doing bad things to positive outlooks...but if we can get through this period and what has yet to come at this point, I think you may well have a point going forward.

At the moment? I think we're on a downward spiral and going fast. We, as in, most of the world. The US and Europe are having their "civilized" meltdown of society in slow motion ....while other areas of the world who never played such little games about things to start with, are nowhere near as slow motion about it.

All falls have a bottom though and all bottoms form a place to start up from. I have complete faith that if people survive this period of unrest and global hostilities....we'll have at least a few decades of good living before we go for the next round of global fighting. History shows across it's spans, it will come again...but the peace between will, as well.

Until then...If people in our major cities would just stop killing each other with whatever is handy, like it had become some warped form of personal entertainment...I'd sure be happier to read the news in the morning. lol
edit on 4-6-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by havok
What drives these people to commit such heinous crimes?

They get a gun, think they are gangster and don't give a #.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I think the big news should be when Obama & Co AREN'T doing some secret deal(s).

Or shady ones,

Or Criminal ones. Etc.

It would be nice to turn on the TV and not see Obama in another mess.

You get what you asked for folks. Enjoy.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by havok
Yep. The city that has the most anti-gun laws is having a gun issue?
So you mean more gun laws DON'T solve problems?
You mean banning firearms doesn't solve gun problems?

Huh? Who'd a thought?
(Someone had to say it)

Where is Piers Morgan when he needs to be confronted on subjects like this? He should be in the spotlight again with JV RIGHT NOW to debate on the issue on gun laws

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   
You may also think that there is civil unrest going on which is causing TERROR to propel itself as a distraction to bigger world events that the government is trying to hide secretly from us....just a thought.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by havok

They are very lazy and stupid-very stupid. The military needs to go in there and clean them out by whatever means. They don't deserve due process.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   
" According to the Centers for Disease Control’s (CDC’s) report “Deaths: Preliminary Data for 2011,” there were 15,953 deaths by homicide that year, for a rate of 5.1 per 100,000 population. In its “Crime in the United States: 2011,” the FBI gives a lower estimate for the number of murder victims: 12,664. Of these victims, fully half—6,329—were black. And yet blacks comprised 13.1 percent of the population in 2011, according to the Census Bureau. (These figures square with those reported by the Wall Street Journal last August.)"

I see a pattern here
edit on 4-6-2013 by circuitsports because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   
America doesn't have a gun problem, we have a gang problem. Eliminate gangs and reduce murder rates by 50% or more in some cities.

We are not properly helping our poor population. I have no answers, but just giving them money in the form of welfare is not helping. Better programs and education need to be put in place maybe.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 12:45 AM
link   
What the hell did they think was going to happen when they banned firearms?

# living in that #hole of a city!

Wonder how the portions of the city that were destroyed by Sandy look like?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join