It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Connecticut Lawmakers Vote to Label GMO Foods...Finally, A US State Has Some Balls!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 12:04 AM
link   
A small victory but a victory nonetheless:

Connecticut Lawmakers Vote to Label GMO Foods
The trigger amendment states the law will go into effect when:

Four states, not including this state, enact a mandatory labeling law for genetically-engineered foods that is consistent with the provisions of this subsection, provided one such state borders Connecticut; and (2) the aggregate population of such states located in the northeast region of the United States that have enacted a mandatory labeling law for genetically-engineered foods that is consistent with this subsection exceed twenty million based on 2010 census figures.

In other words, either four other states or another state with the equivalent of 20 million citizens must adopt similar legislation to trigger labeling in Connecticut. The reasoning for the trigger is that it may be unfeasible to demand food labeling only for Connecticut's 3.5 million residents.

"Connecticut will be the first state in the nation to pass a GMO labeling law and this sets the stage for other states to join the growing movement to give consumers more choices. As a small state, Connecticut couldn’t go it alone – this compromise strikes the right balance," said Speaker of the House Brendan Sharkey (D-Hamden).

"This law doesn't ban, or restrict, or tax anything. It simply let's moms and dads know what's in the food they're buying for their children," said McKinney. "I’m pleased Connecticut is a pioneer in passing this common sense legislation. I urge Washington follow our lead."

This past fall California voters narrowly voted down Prop 37 to label GMO foods on election day. Many attribute the loss to a $50 million anti-labeling campaign by GMO giants like Monsanto and other big food companies.

So now what? Quite simply it's up to the people. Get out there and let yourself be heard. The time is now and if you decide to stay at home eating a big mac and watching American Idol, the fault lies within yourselves.

This should shame many people. Why is the rest of the World leading the way while N. America sits at their computers ranting and raving but doing nothing?

www.centerforfoodsafety.org...
Currently sixty-four nations including China, South Africa, and all countries in the European Union require GM foods to be labeled. Yet all attempts to label genetically engineered food at the federal level in the U.S. have so far failed.

Countries with Mandatory Labeling of GE Foods
Australia Latvia
Austria Lithuania
Belarus Luxembourg
Belgium Malaysia
Bolivia Mali
Bosnia and Herzegovina Malta
Brazil Mauritius
Bulgaria Netherlands
Cameroon New Zealand
China Norway
Croatia Peru
Cyprus Poland
Czech Republic Portugal
Denmark Romania
Ecuador Russia
El Salvador Saudi Arabia
Estonia Senegal
Ethiopia Slovakia
Finland Slovenia
France South Africa
Germany South Korea
Greece Spain
Hungary Sri Lanka
Iceland Sweden
India Switzerland
Indonesia Taiwan
Ireland Thailand
Italy Tunisia
Japan Turkey
Jordan Ukraine
Kazakhstan United Kingdom
Kenya Vietnam

www.governor.ct.gov...
www.activistpost.com...
Vermont as well:
grist.org...

Still think we live in a free Country? Greatest Nation on Earth? Everyone wants to live here? And Canada? Included unfortunately.

Think again...

Peace

edit on 3-6-2013 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Good, but it doesn't go far enough. Still...a small victory.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I don't know why this hasn't already been mandated. Everyone else is required to put the nutrition information on the label. Make note that there are ALLOT of Ingredients listed on Nearly Every label that are bad for you. I am sure the FDA knows that GMO is Code for BAD.

As far as California Failing the vote,. .. I think the populous was Not paying attention.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadellacZumbrum
reply to post by jude11

I don't know why this hasn't already been mandated. Everyone else is required to put the nutrition information on the label. Make note that there are ALLOT of Ingredients listed on Nearly Every label that are bad for you. I am sure the FDA knows that GMO is Code for BAD.

As far as California Failing the vote,. .. I think the populous was Not paying attention.

Why?

Because unfortunately there are too many in that big house of white that have an interest in Monsanto. This has been outed so many times but not enough are listening or not enough even care.

Peace

new topics

top topics

join