It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quick Question for the Politically Astute Australians Who Happen to Be On.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   
I expect this to be a short and quick thread. It's not even my idea. It was prompted by a thread bemoaning the re-entry into Australian poitics of a woman connected to the One Nation party. When I looked at the source article I noticed several other stories and this one caught my eye.

It seems so counter-intuitive that I suspected a misprint. I'm just hoping for someone to explain it to me.

The Fair Work Commission has approved a 2.6 per cent increase in the minimum wage.

The decision will deliver a rise of $15.80 per week to Australia's lowest paid workers.

The increase affects 1.5 million people, and will take their weekly wage to $622.20.

Justice Iain Ross told the hearing factors including an expected increase in the unemployment rate led to the commission's decision.

"In addition to these considerations, the superannuation guarantee increase to apply from 1 July this year has also been a moderating factor in our assessment of the adjustment that should be made to minimum wages."

Australian Chamber of Commerce and Industry chief executive Peter Anderson says the minimum wage rise is a body blow for the small end of town.

"That is $1.5 billion of increased wages that have to be funded by Australia’s small and medium business community," he said. (Emphasis added)

www.abc.net.au...

So, unemployment is going up and the government wants to raise salaries and pensions for the workers? How will that encourage business to hire more people? Making hiring more expensive will increase employment?

Perhaps it's something unique to Australia, I've only got a Yank's viewpoint.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Oh the Government doesn't care who pays for the Minimum wage increase...
They are just looking at how much more Tax revenue it will create.

ETA:
The Government doesn't truly care about Unemployment.
As you point out, this will not drive unemployment down, but up.

This might however make employers look for more educated people to ensure they get the biggest bang for their buck.
In industries where this would be needed... Macca's and Hungry Jacks will be business as usual

edit on 2/6/2013 by Sovaka because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Well....
I just see this as a massive slap in the face. Very quickly and rather quietly the Victorian Parliament held hands and actually agreed upon something! Good for them... Except, the bipartisan support was for...

New MPs will also get a better superannuation deal under big changes to parliamentary salaries and allowances. The bipartisan legislation proposes increasing backbenchers' wages by eight per cent and a 15 per cent increase for shadow ministers and the Opposition leader. Ministers and the Premier would get a 2.5 per cent pay rise. The budget for the Opposition leader would also increase by $500,000 a year, to $2 million. Superannuation for MPs who enter the Parliament after 2004 would increase from nine per cent to 15 per cent, in line with federal arrangements. In exchange for the changes, MPs would lose some allowances, including free parking at the airport and free interstate rail travel. The base salary for a state MP is $137,000
ABC Source

How dare they. Nothing but a bunch of disgusting display of urinating on our faces. Us Aussies are circling the dunny bowl with Julia dangling from the pull-chain.

link   
Cost of living goes up every year.If your pay doesn't go up too it's equates to a pay cut.Also low wage workers spend a greater % of their pay so wages tend to go straight back into the economy.If you need to be told this I believe you may be deliberately ignorant.

link   
Just check out the payroll tax that employers have to pay the government to employ people in Oz, to see how stupid the whole system is.
The minimum wage though does not cover a familys costs and is then supported by government welfare. Our basic wages are low compared to the cost of living

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Qumulys

HA! lol

Sorry... It's the only way I can handle unsettling news... Laugh, hope it's a joke.

Shoot them all... Shoot all those fkn scabs on our nation and bury them at sea in International Waters.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Sovaka

But but but... you can't lol...

According to them, they are not 'out of touch' with everyday ordinary Australians! This is no lolling matter! Surely they must have earn't it?? They've been oh so busy lately cleaning up all the messy manufacturing factories!!

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Ok, I'm getting the impression that the current government is not, shall we say, highly regarded? The move does seem to go against economic common sense pace the poster who believes that the economy will be helped by taking money from one end of the pool and putting it in the other end.

Is this opinion of the government fairly widespread? Is there an alternative to Julia (Gillard, I think her name is), or is this a case of "You've asked for it, now live with it?" And how soon (more Yank ignorance) will she face the voters?

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

We nor asked for it nor do we want it.

It is something these "in touch" individuals have thought would be best.

There are no other viable options like all politics in the world.

Unfortunately, we have no options for ousting the bastards.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Aww you guys are all sooks.

I heard that everyone can live on the dole, really really comfortably. Some politician said so. So all those people actually working minimum wage have nothing to complain about.

some rich tosser earning $100k+ a year said so.

.. and no, not the one Colin Barnett just signed off the salary for. The one, you know, who gets $100k+ a year and doesn't even have set working hours. Ahhh to be chummies with mr barnett.

get a job you hippies.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

I'd like to see source on dole can be lived on comfortably.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   
It doesn't matter who you vote for, the government still gets in.

Politicians here couldn't care less about this country or it's population, all they care about is arguing with tv heads, and making them selves look good on tv.
How is it, that "running" a country requires such a high wage? the country is not a company, so why should its leaders get paid like CEO's?
I met a politician once, who said he gets paid 250K a year to sit in a room full of people, and nod, and occasionally boo the opposing MP's when they talk.

he even said he wants to milk more, because no one stands up and says "No", as long as people have home and away, the afl, the nrl, cricket and V8 Supercars not 10% of the population could give 2 hoots about any of the afforementioned.

i say take out the tv's.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
Ok, I'm getting the impression that the current government is not, shall we say, highly regarded? The move does seem to go against economic common sense pace the poster who believes that the economy will be helped by taking money from one end of the pool and putting it in the other end.

Is this opinion of the government fairly widespread? Is there an alternative to Julia (Gillard, I think her name is), or is this a case of "You've asked for it, now live with it?" And how soon (more Yank ignorance) will she face the voters?

to answer your first question last, she faces the voters in september.

And as of today her approval rating is 35% and tony abbot (leader of the opposition) is at 42%

so far this year she has lost 5 of her cabinet (coalition government) and pretty soon she may be facing court herself over allegations of theft from union bank accounts back when she was a union lawyer.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   
As a Person Who is on a D.S.P. (Disability "Support" Pension) I have to agree with everyone I get a Measley $810 A FORNIGHT In Australia everything is 60 to 90% more expensive then in America take it into account:

You Americans Complain that Gas (we call it PETROL) is around $3.65 a Gallon A which is 3.84 liters try living in Australia where "Gas" is aound $2.50 A LITER!! YEP YOU HEARD RIGHT 1 liter

so for 4 liters (roughly a gallon) of "GAS" in Australia it is $10.00 WHO IS BEING RIPPED OFF HERE!

HEY, I think you Americans should count yourselves lucky!

Look how much WE pay for food and other stuff (and woolworths is cheaper then coles)

weeklyspecials.woolworths.com.au... YTIwZWE0M2NhYzY1NmI1OQ%3D%3D

Cheack out the MEAT PRICES in particular!

you will notice that they are all around 20 to 30 Dollars for ONE KILOGRAM!
edit on 4/6/13 by fr33kSh0w2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 11:19 PM
link   

I think you will find a majority of people didn't want either Julia or Tony. It is resulted in crazy times where both leaders had to try and win favour of some independents to get voted in which made them very famous for a while. Someone else here might be able to tell you more about it but that's the basics of what happened.

Both leaders in my opinion are total fools for different reasons.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by garret and cruff

Thanks a lot, I appreciate the information.

Maybe I just have a romantic fantasy about Australians, but I thought you guys were tough, independent, not particularly interested in rules or controls, and definitely in favor of a good time when the day was over. Am I just buying propaganda or is that how Australians really are? I'd like to think that there is still a country like that.

But if my image of Australians is halfway accurate, and remember I'm not picking a fight, just friendly curiosity, how did you guys end up with a government like yours? I keep hearing that the secret wish of the government is for the UN to run the show, and have China in charge of the Chamber of Commerce.

Again, I'm speaking from parochial ignorance, so laugh all you'd like, I deserve it. But how else am I going to learn? Am I going to want to live there in ten years?

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 12:51 AM
link   
I'm sorry to say BUT!!!
BUT the inflation in Australia is INCREDIBLE!!!!!
I mean we don't want to be like America with a massive wealth gap, I've lived in China for 6 years and thank Christ I'm a citizen of Australia.
If people think "ohhh it's not fair" Well at least these people HAVE JOBS and are contributing to the economy.
If the minimum wage is not increased it would be cheaper to live off unemployment benefits leeching from the system instead of working.!

Man, some people just don't see the big picture.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 01:28 AM
link   
I think the minimum wage increase is really only going to impact small business.

But, when you think of the employment size of small business, specifically the minimum wage earners.. who are getting $15 a week increase? I think its going to be minimal impact.

Even if you have 1000 minimum wage earners (think about that, thats a crap load) thats only $15000 per week increase.

If you have 1000 minimum wage workers then your a friggen large company who can afford it.

Anyone screaming bloody murder about it is going overboard hoping to drum up political tension.

the minimum wage should have increased a long time ago, look how much prices for food, petrol, housing, transport have increased?...

bout time!
edit on 5-6-2013 by Agit8dChop because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 05:48 AM
link   

In general, we are an extremely relaxed country in a lot of regards. There's a saying over here of "she'll be right mate" and that is kinda how we are. There are a lot of us that do stand up for our rights and heaps of people really cannot stand the way the country has gone - especially in the last few years.

We have it extremely good over here - on my travels, I have seen some very poor people who getting clean water is a luxury. So, when I see people over here complaining about not finding work etc, I don't think that is really how things are. There are a lot of places with high unemployment for sure, but there are a lot of jobs out there - alas a majority of people would rather be on the dole (welfare) and just sit at home. I know this very well because my work is right next to a centrelink (welfare dept) and I have heard people out the front talking about it.

Anyway, I digress...

I for one can't stand Gillard and i'm certainly not alone on this one. She said many times, "there will be no carbon tax under the labor govt" and boom, once she gets in..."oh about that carbon tax...TADA".

Sigh...

Australia is an absolutely beautiful place to live, there are just some knobs that ruin certain aspects of it for us sadly.

Hope that explains things a little more

top topics

join