It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tycho Crater

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by WanDash

Originally posted by eriktheawful
Tycho Crater.
...It's one of the most recognized feature of the moon when humans look up at it. It's had different names in the past:
...Tycho stands out to many due to it's over all brightness, and the ejecta rays that scatter from it.
...At over 86 km in diabeter, it's a large feature that shows up well in both telescopes and binoculars. Even without them, it stands out to the human eye. Both when being lit by sun light
...Last, is a interesting pic to me. I found some rocks...laying in a circle:
...Here is the coordinates for those rocks in case anyone else would like to go look at them:
...Over all the moon itself is just fun to look at, especially up close and personal like the LROC can make it. For any that enjoy doing this too, but don't know how, here is a link to the LROC Quick Maps, where you can explore to your heart's content:
...Hope you enjoyed taking a closer look at Tycho Crater.

Hey Eric that was just awful

Or...very interesting.
I like the way you posed what others believe...without making judgment...then gave some of your own theory and tossed in a quizzical puzzle for those interested.
Thanks for the link and coordinates - I will probably take advantage of them.
Oh--- any ideas on the circle of rocks you're willing to make public?

It reminds me of a circle one makes to play marbles......but that's a awfully big marble circle.

I did have a friend over on Facebook when I posted the picture there suggest that it's a lunar Stonehenge....that idea was a interesting thought.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Excellent OP, I really enjoyed the read. At this point I also admit that - for a very long time - I didn't even realize it was Tycho Crater that's so clearly visible even to the naked eye.

I think this is a good occasion to post an image I took last year while testing the capabilities of my DSLR using a tripod and average quality lenses. I was rather surprised that individual craters incl. Tycho could be made out ...

Just FYI: image has been cropped, slightly sharpened and saturated (moderately).

Excerpt from the EXIF: Model = Canon EOS 550D / Exposure Time = 1/400 sec / FNumber = F5,6 / Focal Length = 232,00 mm / Metering Mode = MultiSegment / Flash Mode = Not fired

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by jeep3r

Very cool pic! Thanks for sharing it with us!

And thank you to everyone who has posted in this thread, especially those that have shared other things such as pictures and videos.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Of course Tycho Crater is also the location of the TMA-1 (Tycho Magnetic Anomaly-1) in both the Book and Movie for 2001 a Space Odyssey

Although there have been magnetic anomalies found on the Moon one has yet to be found in Tycho Crater...

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by eriktheawful

Very nice photo set, and well written. I'm looking forward to summer nights and digging out the telescope.

Other thoughts: I think to better fit in here at ATS, this post needs a bit more crazy. Perhaps you could add a conspiracy , or hidden moon bases... (I kid, I'm a kidder)

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by C141Clay

Very nice photo set, and well written. I'm looking forward to summer nights and digging out the telescope.

Other thoughts: I think to better fit in here at ATS, this post needs a bit more crazy. Perhaps you could add a conspiracy , or hidden moon bases... (I kid, I'm a kidder)

Thanks for the advice, but I believe there are plenty of those threads around....and threads like mine that turn into that!

Still, that's what my rock circle picture was suppose to be for!

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Nice idea for a thread. Tycho is the most prominent thing you see when you look at the Moon through binoculars.

One tiny quibble, though; I'd say 2001: A Space Odyssey was definitely high culture, not pop.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax
Nice idea for a thread. Tycho is the most prominent thing you see when you look at the Moon through binoculars.

One tiny quibble, though; I'd say 2001: A Space Odyssey was definitely high culture, not pop.

I think I have to agree with you actually on that one.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by wmd_2008

Hello WMD_2008

I was referring to the top right hand corner of the image. The link below has the image with the highlights I added to enhance a bit of the detail. Please forgive my poor photo enhancing skills I did the best I could.

Thanks!

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   
A few quotes from one of my favorite movies.

What's that thing, um, up there that looks like a star sapphire? What's that?

Tycho. An asteroid crashed there and broke the moon.

Broke the moon?

Yeah.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Nice! S&F

The moon is so fascinating, and is considered by some, including moi, to be the strangest object in the known universe.

Here's a recent thread I made about what and why that is, which btw should have been called "evidence for intelligent design" not "undeniable proof of", which really set some people off in a big way, although I was nevertheless pleased that it gained attention, because people need to see this stuff and really "get" it. Imho, the geometrical configuration involved in our moon-earth-sun framework for life, was actually intended from an intelligent first-cause for our own recognition in the fullness of comic time and history and cannot be considered, in the face of the data itself to be a mere "fluke" or "coincidence" or random occurrence.

After studying this in some detail, I'll never look at the moon the same way ever again.

edit on 4-6-2013 by NewAgeMan because: Tycho typo

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Umbiliicus

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Miracula

Your picture is a complete fabrication!!!!!

Putin would not look that good with out a shirt on!

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by eriktheawful

Your picture is a complete fabrication!!!!!

Putin would not look that good with out a shirt on!

Yes, but I didn't make the pic.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Is that Princess Leia in the second pic?

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   

S&F for a great post that's very informative. I can only imagine what a spectacular sight that impact would have been from here on earth. I also can't help but notice the density of craters in that part of the moon too. Some of them have to be almost as old as the moon itself. Pretty cool. Thanks for posting!

Vince

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 03:10 AM
link   
So, rather than avoiding the issue, what do you all make of the regular shapes which happen all to often to be natural?

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by qmantoo
So, rather than avoiding the issue, what do you all make of the regular shapes which happen all to often to be natural?

Could you point them out to us?

Tycho is a big place on the moon, and it would help discussion if you could show us the areas you are talking about.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   
No, I am not going to point them out since others have done this and you flippantly ignored it earlier in this very thread.

LeLeu pointed out something here
and you gave no comment except for "Interesting, thanks for sharing"

You found it interesting - or so you say. What do you consider this might be then?

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by qmantoo
No, I am not going to point them out since others have done this and you flippantly ignored it earlier in this very thread.

LeLeu pointed out something here
and you gave no comment except for "Interesting, thanks for sharing"

You found it interesting - or so you say. What do you consider this might be then?

Okay, I'm going to reply politely here, especially since you decided to post a very aggressive post and accusing me of something that is not true. While I could report your post, I'll instead try to politely give you a reply:

I found LeLeu's post interesting.....but also off topic. This thread is about Tycho crater on the moon. It is not about Mars. It is not about things found on Mars. It is about Tycho crater and the things that are there.

So while I do find LeLeu's pictures interesting, commenting more on them here would take my thread that I authored about Tycho crater on the moon further off topic, and I have no desire to do that.

On the other hand, you've been a member of ATS for quite a while and have more than enough posts to take the information that LeLeu provided and start your own thread on so you can discuss it there. Discussion of those pictures in a thread dedicated to them would not be off topic.

Now......this thread is about Tycho crater on the moon. Do you have any constructive posts about Tycho crater?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join