It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Germany Drowns in Endless Downpour

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   

For weeks, rain has been pounding Germany, whose serotonin-sapped residents are straining to hold on to the last vestiges of hope after already having suffered through the darkest winter in over four decades. But, save for a few soon-forgotten days of sunshine, most of Germany's vitamin-D-deprived residents have had to live through endless days of gray drizzle and downpour this spring. Though summer is officially just around the corner, refrains of "Can you believe this (insert expletive) weather?" have given way to silent, knowing looks and forlorn sighs.

www.spiegel.de...

This may net seem as bad as other Natural Disasters elsewhere in the World,but it seems like we are going from one Extreme Weather Event to the next without Pause.

Just over a Month ago,we got out of a very long,very cold Winter. The next thing you know,we have Summer-like Temperatures. And now it seem like Autumn has arrived,with lots of Rain...which is drowning us for nearly a Week now.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Shenon

I feel for them. We get the same stuff here in WA state. It makes you want to drink, but that makes you more depressed. The secret is to take massive doses of D-3, with Fish oil. I'm talking near overdose, like 3000 IU That pushes the despair back until the sun comes.

edit on 2-6-2013 by tridentblue because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Shenon

We left Germany about a month ago.

We don't miss the rain.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   
South Florida has had the 2nd most rain in recorded history over the last month. Making it hard to get out on the golf course.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by tridentblue
reply to post by Shenon

I feel for them. We get the same stuff here in WA state. It makes you want to drink, but that makes you more depressed. The secret is to take massive doses of D-3, with Fish oil. I'm talking near overdose, like 3000 IU That pushes the despair back until the sun comes.

Yes. The Omega 3 in the fish oil does wonders for the mind and emotional well being. I take about 9 a day.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Lucky you. The Weather is just depressing here...i wonder what Extreme we get after the Rain stops...

On that Note,on Thursday,i experienced a few Minutes of Hail coming down (The Size of Golfballs!) I joked with my Coworkers,that we´re going to get a Tornado next...Consider me not suprised as i heard the next Day that one touched down just a few Kilometers away (didn´t do much Damage,since it came down on a Field)

Well,i´m dreading going to work in a few Hours,because ist still raining outside...

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Shenon

I know exactly what you mean. I live in Prague and the rain has been almost non-stop for the past week, which is not really normal for this time of the year. And the tmeperatures are way below average.

However, there is worse to come, I'm afraid. The Vltava river (the Moldau in German) runs through Prague and is expected to peak tomorrow morning. It was flowing at 2,000 Cu. M/sec earlier this evening and may reach 3,000 by morning. And that water goes down into the Labe (known as the Elbe when it crosses the border into your country).

I went down to the river this afternoon and I haven't seen it so high since August 2002 when we had a one-in-500-year flood. At present, they are rating this as a one-fifty-year event but that may change if we keep getting more rain.

Schools in Prague will be closed tomorrow. Too much chaos with transport as the metro is being shut down and some areas of the city near the river are already being evacuated. We have three confirmed deaths from the floods already and some other people missing.

True, slowly-rising floods are nothing like the terrible tornadoes they have experienced in the US. At least most people have enough time to move to safety. But for the people who lose their homes or have them ruined by water it's still an awful experience.

It makes me wonder what "Summer" may bring. After all, statistically our wettest month is July.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Hello. I wonder if Germany have major issues like the rest of us with chemical trailing?
I think this is a major factor in these type extreme weather conditions experienced worldwide.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I am certain more than one or two Southern Caifornians would offer to trade the Germans their weather for a couple of weeks.
Just saying....

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Shenon

I am so very happy that the sun in shining here in NRW today! I'm from South Florida; this winter and spring have been really depressing for me. I don't ever want to see a rain cloud again.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Cynic

Probably...until their towns are under 12 meters of water like in some parts of Bavaria (where the worst flooding is at). I don't understand why you brought up SoCal.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cynic
I am certain more than one or two Southern Caifornians would offer to trade the Germans their weather for a couple of weeks.
Just saying....

Ummm.... no thank you. We are far less prepared for floods than Germany for example. Rain that lasts two or three days brings utter disaster in some parts of this State, not to mention all those people completely forgetting how to drive in a bit of light rain. Certainly wouldn't mind one rainy day per week, but nothing that lasts for more than a week. I remember El Nino pretty well. Lots of mud slides, accidents, floods, etc. People here just love building in dry riverbeds and on crumbling hill-sides for some reason.
edit on 3-6-2013 by 2manyquestions because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   
hey, let' make sure we mine more coal, pump more petroleum, and burn more fossil fuels, because we are going to need all that power to repair the massive damage by non-human climate change

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by octotom

I can sum it up for you in two words:
Raging Fires.
Happy Now?

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   
We're emerging from an unusually long winter in the Northeast U.S. as well. The weather does seem to be increasingly erratic all over the world.

reply to post by Cynic

Really living up to your username. I'm sure you're just a ball of fun!

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by paperplanes

Yupper.
Glad to be of service!

edit on 4-6-2013 by Cynic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by tridentblue
reply to post by Shenon

We in the UK had a taste of this recently too.

Had about 3 or 4 days of pleasant sunshine, followed by a couple of weeks of almost continuous rain, followed by what would have easily been taken for typical Autumnal weather and temps, and just recently back up to a couple of days of sunshine.

BTW, 3000 IU of D3 isn't anywhere near overdoes levels...i've taken 10,000 IU with no ill effects, and routinely take 5000 IU.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   
To be honest, the Ops post sounds exactly like Scotland.

Weve had that weather for by on 20 years and were still going strong.

Hang in there germans, it will get better as you cant possibly have worst weather than us Scots

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by zeetroyman

That's true zeetroyman.

At least they won't have a hosepipe ban this Summer i shouldn't think...if this were the UK, we'd have rain equiv to the great flood and still have the water board saying there's a ban, so there is a brightside i suppose!

top topics

join