Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Documentary "Free Your Mind" Treatment for Brain Disorders without SSRI's

page: 1

join

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   
This is the trailer for the Documentary "Free Your Mind" It is about a potential treatment for PTSD, ADHD, Depression, and other mental disorders. Dr. Richard Davidson:

"A lot of our daily lives are spent in social interaction with other people. Much of that information is not conscious, we're just not aware of it. After 3 months of meditation practice people are able to notice much more subtle things in their environment which would lead people to be better at picking up on others."

Using a breathing and meditation exercise instead of SSRI's and other drugs his patients are having positive results without the need of pharmaceuticals.

"We can actually be happier people. We can suffer less if we take responsibility for our own mind." Dr. Richard Davidson.

Here is the website

Here are the screens in the US for those interested and to check to see if one is scheduled near you. You can also request a screening in your area. I'm hoping that my local Art House Theatre schedules a showing so I can attend.

Playdates 2013
VENUES CITY DATE
April
USA Film Festival Dallas TX 4/24 - 4/28

May
Rubin Museum of Art New York NY Starts 5/3 +

The Screen Santa Fe NM Starts 5/10 +

Sundance Cinemas Madison WI Starts 5/15 +

Stanford University Palo Alto CA 5/17

Laemmle Music Hall Los Angeles CA Starts 5/17 +

Laemmle Monica Santa Monica CA 5/18 - 5/19

Laemmle Playhouse 7 Pasadena CA 5/18 - 5/19

Laemmle Claremont Claremont CA 5/18 - 5/19

Kimball Theater Williamsburg VA 5/31 - 6/5

July
Real Art Ways Hartford CT July tba

Rubin Museum of Art New York NY 7/3 & 7/19

Martha's Vineyard Film Festival Martha's Vineyard MA 7/17

Northwest Film Forum Seattle WA Starts 7/26 +

August
Rubin Museum of Art New York NY 8/16 & 8/30

September
Milwaukee Film Festival Milwaukee WI 9/26 - 10/10

"Continual practice is something very important and it's kind of like physical exercise. You don't go to a spa for 10 days and exercise and think that the benefits will last for the remainder of your life if you don't continue to practice, and meditation is very similar." Dr. Richard Davidson.

If anyone here on ATS has already attended a showing and would like to give a review, it would be appreciated.

edit on 2-6-2013 by Carreau because: sp
edit on 2-6-2013 by Carreau because: sp

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Carreau

Meditation has numerous physiological and psychological benefits. Even in the face of multiple scientific studies, meditation is still seen as hocus-pocus by many. It also can't be packaged and sold repeatedly. It can only be taught once and practiced freely, unlimited times. (How inconvenient!)

I like the cases where mediation is taught as a rehabilitation technique with prison inmates. These have yielded some of the most intriguing results in practical application.

Something like pills, even if they be a big, fat placebo are usually taken blindly and we gladly pay for them every month!

edit on 2-6-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Thanks for the reply and comment NB and I agree that teaching someone once instead of selling 30 pills a month isn't as profitable, but let's hope this Dr. can help some people this way.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Awesome!
Very nice that mindfulness practices help people in need be more mind-full~

LOVE

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 11:33 PM
link   
[ sarcasm ] Oh goodness, FDA-agents beware! Not need to buy Px Rx?!?! That's ludicrous, don't you think? [ /sarcasm ]

Meditation, even just attempted ... works marvelously at reducing stress ... Stress is a leading cause of many ailments, dis-eases, dis-orders, etc...

[Aside:
Great OP!

::up S&F]

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by schmirror

TY Schmirror, I agree I think meditation has great potential and we haven't even begun to realize how much it can help a variety of ailments.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   
This would be wonderful. I have reservations for those who do go off medication and then receive no benefit from meditation due to lack of concentration. It happens. To me.

I take medication for PTSD. I call it my "shut the fCuk pill" I hate it. Taking it disturbs concentration (which I work on with my own irratic meditation practise).

I know the local Army Base has been working on alternative therapies for returning PTSD patients. Believe it or not there is a group that are on massage, meditation, herbal remedies and accuncture, with excellent results. I believe meditation has wonderful healing properties. But I'd recommend this population have a schedule set for them and some sort of initiative to GO EVERY TIME. I bet the results would be phenomenal.

I'm sure the drug companies would see a drop in profit. Which wouldn't encourage this treatment on a large scale. Individuals aren't important (or drugs wouldn't cost so much). But profit, well profit health and well being are another thing all together.

For those interested in trolling me on this. PTSD is a disorder which comes with psychotic tendencies (hallucination) as well as bi-polar symptoms (high energy & low energy). Mine has a splash of everything.
edit on 3-6-2013 by SeenAlot because: Proof readin is your friend

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by SeenAlot

Thank you for the reply. I hope you didn't think I was suggesting anyone go off their meds, I wasn't.. And I would also hope that no one here would "troll" you about your condition. I wish you well.

new topics

top topics

join