It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Questions for British and/or UK People

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against UK people but few minutes ago I was reading about the 60th anniversary of your queen. Man...., she's been a queen for 60 years?

So I wonder, why you need a queen?, What are the benefits for regular people of having a noble class?, Isn't it against the current more open-minded mentality?, Can you afford to have aristocracy, do you like it, why?, Do you believe the nobles really care about you?

I know these questions might be a little uncomfortable for some members, I don't want to offend anybody. Thanks for your replies.
edit on 2-6-2013 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   
No reason really. I wasn't born to support the idea, I was born into the system - as we all were.

Unfortunately, the brain washed masses over here love a good Jubilee.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Her brand (royalty) brings a lot of money into the uk from tourism and overseas deals. Apart from that shes just some bird on a postage stamp!

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   

So I wonder, why you need a queen?, What are the benefits for regular people of having a noble class?, Isn't it against the current more open-minded mentality?, Can you afford to have aristocracy, do you like it, why?, Do you believe the nobles really care about you?

They are parasites in my opinion, a waste of taxpayers cash, and are not needed. Half of our government are related to them in on way or another anyway! David Cameron is a good example of this.

Of course they dont care about us, its all about getting more money from the peasants, thats the way it has always been. Our monarchy is as illegitimate as our government. The monarchy are from an illegitimate blood line and our government were never voted in. The royals serve no purpose, people seem to think foreigners come in the hope of meeting the queen, i dont think thats the case, i think they come to look at our ancient buildings and palaces, the buildings would still be there is there was no royalty.

The Queen needed more money this year from the taxpayer, because all those billions in the bank and property is not enough, she wants more.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   
The civil list which pays for the royal families official duties/palaces/protection etc cost each person pence per year but bring in loads of money from the tourists who come to see the pomp and pageantry into the economy

The queen has private estates which pay for her other interests and she pays taxes (doesn't have to but does) and her main advantages are she's got the best number plate in the UK and she can't be brought to trial

and if anyone says she's worth billions she ain't the crown jewels etc belong to the nation so they're perks of the job not personal property

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   
First 2 replies somehow confirmed what I thought, regular people don't really like nobles, but got used to have them.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   
I have no real times for the Royals, but if you are looking for a person to represent you for trade and as a figure head then there is no one better trained than Elizibeth.

I do believe it is all about duty for her and I believe she is a caring individual although she has no real control or refused to excercise it.
As a person I have no problem with her and it was the era she was born into

But her son' thats a different proposition altogether.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxatoria

Ok, now let me ask. Don't you believe she (and the nobles), represents the oppression and/or authoritarianism of people of other times? In that case, all the money coming from tourists could be an excuse to preserve a monarchy, or not?

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by pavmas
I have no real times for the Royals, but if you are looking for a person to represent you for trade and as a figure head then there is no one better trained than Elizibeth.

I do believe it is all about duty for her and I believe she is a caring individual although she has no real control or refused to excercise it.

Do you really need a queen for that job? Why can't be a normal person, like most of the countries.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

It means that the person at the theoretical top of the state is politically neutral.
That's a desirable asset, in a democracy. The effect is that it's possible to separate out criticising the government and attacking the existence of the state.
Just you try using an electoral system to generate a poltically neutral head of state, and see what happens.
If we had not inherited that asset from the accidents of history, it might have been necessary to invent it.

And to reverse your question, bringing in the "nobility"-
The titles are empty. They have no power.
Nobody actually suffers from the continued existence of a monarchy or people with titles of nobility.
If nobody suffers from their existence, what's to be gained from opposing their existence? Why bother?
Being "against them" is nothing but abstract posturing.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trueman

Originally posted by pavmas

Do you really need a queen for that job? Why can't be a normal person, like most of the countries.

Im not saying that, what Im saying in her era which was also my Mothers and Fathers most people wanted it like this, now there is more information and people want them more answerable and change.

My mum and dad have passed away and soon the queen will, but should she be the last monarch, i believe so as the country and the world has changed in the last 50 years, it certainly should be debated.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by DISRAELI

Very interesting post, thank you.

However, one term of your post can be polemic : "poltically neutral head of state", since people could say such a thing doesn't relly exist, even if declared.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by pavmas

My mum and dad have passed away and soon the queen will, but should she be the last monarch, i believe so as the country and the world has changed in the last 50 years, it certainly should be debated.

That probably would be the most important moment in the history of the UK. I think that could bring chaos at the beginning, as part of a transition.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Ok, now let me ask. Don't you believe she (and the nobles), represents the oppression and/or authoritarianism of people of other times? In that case, all the money coming from tourists could be an excuse to preserve a monarchy, or not?

Not all nobles have lots of dosh some are like everyone else, poor and shop at tesco's and asda

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

Technically,the Queen has the power to shut down parliment and dismiss any/all of the government if she feels the need.
In reality,the government write her speeches for her,and keep her in a little box out of the way for the tourists to marvel at.

IMHO,she should have sacked the last government after finding out they conspired to lie to the public about the dangers of Saddams WMD,then lied again by claiming the UK were not involved in rendition/torture.

So I have to wonder what is the point of her having such powers if she never uses them?
Other than keeping the government"decent"(oh the hilarity)I don't really see much use in the queen-unless you count her being the biggest/second biggest landowner in the UK and the owner of Austrailian Uranium mines.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   

reply to post by pavmas

That probably would be the most important moment in the history of the UK. I think that could bring chaos at the beginning, as part of a transition.

Well thats true' we have been here before and had a civil war.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by ballymoney50

Not all nobles have lots of dosh some are like everyone else, poor and shop at tesco's and asda

That is something I would like to see. That's the kind of noble I can respect.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Can't stand the old goat or her inbred brood.
People who fawn over them make me sick.
The unnecessary pomp that goes with everything they do also makes me sick.People here live off of benefits and even foodbanks,yet there is plenty of money for everything theses leeches do.
As for the "oh she pays taxes" comment-yeah with the millions given to her via low paid workers taxes.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheDoctor46
Her brand (royalty) brings a lot of money into the uk from tourism and overseas deals. Apart from that shes just some bird on a postage stamp!

No....get the facts right baby !!!

She is a very expensive bird on a VERY expensive postage stamp !!!

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by uk today

....This ones for you!...
.......Edit i just noticed her stamps got a cross line through it. Does this mean a reduction to £2......Glen that means our taxes are going up again!!!
edit on 2-6-2013 by TheDoctor46 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join