It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Public Atheist Monument Across from 10 Commandments

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by GeisterFahrer

No, I understand what you're saying.
I was just expressing my reply to you.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 12:54 AM
link   
maybe the monument should mention that atheists also lack a sense of humor?

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 01:00 AM
link   
I have an idea for the design of the monument i want put in the middle. It should be a glass that is half full, or half empty.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phoenix267
reply to post by sinthia

Atheism is not a religion. It is a lack of belief in a deity. There is no belief or religion involved in atheist. An individual person chooses to identify as an atheist. There is no conversion or anything of that nature.

Wow... No conversion or anything of that nature or no belief or religion involved? How many times have we all read and heard someone say they grew up in a religious home, but then lost their faith and became an atheist? If you don't believe in God, then you BELIEVE there is no God, simple as that. It takes faith and belief to BELIEVE there is no God.

No matter how you try to word it, try to portray yourself, if you're an atheist, you BELIEVE there is no God, and you most likely BELIEVE in the other religion of evolution.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Why do hardcore atheists spend the majority of their time trying to piss people off? You guys might as well walk around with fully extended middle fingers all day long, because it seems that's all you really have to say when you get right down to it. Mean, vindictive, nasty people defecating on other belief systems at every opportunity. It certainly doesn't help you win any converts. At least, not anyone who's presence is tolerable under 50 feet away.

Oh wait, you're not a religion. I forgot. You don't have converts. Silly me, I was considering the fanaticism of the belief system instead of what some dictionary says a religion is.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by jeramie

Wow, I cannot believe the ignorance you and others are saying. Evolution is a science. There is no belief involved in accepting evolution. Also no one converts to be an atheist. It's the individual's choice to identify as an atheist or whatever. No conversion what so ever.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 02:20 AM
link   

reply to post by jeramie

Wow, I cannot believe the ignorance you and others are saying. Evolution is a science. There is no belief involved in accepting evolution. Also no one converts to be an atheist. It's the individual's choice to identify as an atheist or whatever. No conversion what so ever.

Evolution is a theory. There is a lot of faith involved in accepting evolution as factual truth. It hasn't been proven. It can't be proven. Sounds an awful lot like...

I forgot again. You're not a religion. I keep having to remind myself.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by NthOther

reply to post by jeramie

Evolution is a theory. There is a lot of faith involved in accepting evolution as factual truth. It hasn't been proven. It can't be proven. Sounds an awful lot like...

I forgot again. You're not a religion. I keep having to remind myself.

It looks like you do not understand what theory means in science.

A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis or group of hypotheses that have been supported with repeated testing. If enough evidence accumulates to support a hypothesis, it moves to the next step—known as a theory—in the scientific method and becomes accepted as a valid explanation of a phenomenon.

Source

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 02:29 AM
link   

It looks like you do not understand what theory means in science.

A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis or group of hypotheses that have been supported with repeated testing. If enough evidence accumulates to support a hypothesis, it moves to the next step—known as a theory—in the scientific method and becomes accepted as a valid explanation of a phenomenon.

Source

Yeah, the word "truth" is nowhere in that. You accept these theories as truth. They aren't.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by NthOther

Yeah, the word "truth" is nowhere in that. You accept these theories as truth. They aren't.

I'm a rational person who accepts science with evidence. Evolution and numerous other theories have evidence backing it. There was a thread I posted about evolution sharing the evidence to support it, the history, and what not. It's not the best explanation. But it helps illustrate my point.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 02:36 AM
link   

reply to post by jeramie

A religious scientist got us to the moon, an atheist scientist got us atomic weapons. Beliefs do matter - and yes, evolution is a belief system. It is a belief that "perhaps" and "more than likely" that a few billions upon billions of years, times billions and billions and trillions of years ago, there was this magical and mystical event that sparked life in the Universe and (created *snickering*) caused matter to come into existence. Perhaps the story of the theory of evolution should start with "A long, long time ago ... in a galaxy far away ..."

However, evolution does not have the polarizing effect on me that it does on others like me, who do not believe anyone "really" knows how it all went down. The theory of evolution is a brilliant and beautiful theory. I still don't understand how hydrogen and helium are considered the oldest elements in the universe and did not originate from stars. Maybe that is just the latest "craze' in the scientific community and that theory will change like every single other theory has. Who knows? And, I especially don't get how King Solomon knew the Sun had a differential rotation over 4,000 years ago. Religion is not Science (we all mostly get that) and Science is not Religion. For most people, Science is a tool used to understand the natural universe. For atheists, science is a tool used to openly mock the sacred beliefs of the religious. To me, that is not very nice or even rational.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 02:41 AM
link   

A religious scientist got us to the moon, an atheist scientist got us atomic weapons.

A lot of scientist have helped contribute to a lot of experiments. This is like saying white scientist cured disses and black scientist caused them. It's a bad logical fallacy.

Beliefs do matter - and yes, evolution is a belief system. It is a belief that "perhaps" and "more than likely" that a few billions upon billions of years, times billions and billions and trillions of years ago, there was this magical and mystical event that sparked life in the Universe and (created *snickering*) caused matter to come into existence. Perhaps the story of the theory of evolution should start with "A long, long time ago ... in a galaxy far away ..."

No, that is not what evolution is and how it works. Please go to the thread I linked and see why I accept evolution. I do not understand why you and the others are repeating the same comment about evolution.

However, evolution does not have the polarizing effect on me that it does on others like me, who do not believe anyone "really" knows how it all went down. The theory of evolution is a brilliant and beautiful theory. I still don't understand how hydrogen and helium are considered the oldest elements in the universe and did not originate from stars. Maybe that is just the latest "craze' in the scientific community and that theory will change like every single other theory has. Who knows? And, I especially don't get how King Solomon knew the Sun had a differential rotation over 4,000 years ago. Religion is not Science (we all mostly get that) and Science is not Religion. For most people, Science is a tool used to understand the natural universe. For atheists, science is a tool used to openly mock the sacred beliefs of the religious. To me, that is not very nice or even rational.

Well, I'm skeptical of religion because it teaches us not to be happy with reality. Religion in my opinion is influenced by man. The reason I chose to identify as an atheist because it seemed everyone beliefs center around themselves. Like if they were racist or sexist. There are good religious people. But sadly the bad eggs spoiled my views on a lot of them.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 02:45 AM
link   

I'm a rational person who accepts science with evidence.

No, your a religious person who has traded words like "faith" for words like "rational and scientific." Your faith in no God is just that, a faith. It is sad because your fooling yourself into thinking that these "labels" I quoted for you, somehow make your more distinct and 'correct' than the rest of us not ashamed to say we have some kind of a faith. You may think your rational and scientific, but what if you claimed these things 500 years ago? You'd be just as magical and whimsical as anybody else with a faith in something beyond. And 500 years from now you will be seen in the same light. No consistency, only pretentious to claim these things.

Science has done much for us, enough so to where the new frontier becomes faith based. I say these things to you not to cause more anger or strife, but to bring to light that it has always been faith based, it always will be, science has become such a broad and ambiguous term, as much of an irony that is. There is no shame to admit faith in nothing, but you insult those who do have faith in something, by putting yourself on some kind of intellectual "non-caveman" pedestal.

Edit: I always wanted to point out I admire your composure and vigor answering all of our replies like so, you are doing very good. : )
edit on 6/3/13 by honested3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by honested3

No, your a religious person who has traded words like "faith" for words like "rational and scientific." Your faith in no God is just that, a faith.

I would have to respectfully disagree with you. I do not where this misconception of atheism and lack of belief in a deity came from. Why do people have to have faith? I'm happy in my life that tomorrow I lived my life well. No need for beliefs, prayers, or anything of that nature. The thing with science is that great minds try to understand the world and universe with the tools they can use to understand better. Regardless of their faith or lack of they have contributed greatly to science. It wasn't so long ago our various groups of people did support the idea that the Earth revolved around the sun and were either shunned because people didn't understand or their cultures were lost to time. You know what I'm saying?

Edit: I always wanted to point out I admire your composure and vigor answering all of our replies like so, you are doing very good. : )

Well thanks. I just want to express my views. See what others believe and share my opinions. I'm just a little fierce and like to debate.
edit on 3-6-2013 by Phoenix267 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 02:52 AM
link   

A religious scientist got us to the moon, an atheist scientist got us atomic weapons.

A lot of scientist have helped contribute to a lot of experiments. This is like saying white scientist cured disses and black scientist caused them. It's a bad logical fallacy.

Beliefs do matter - and yes, evolution is a belief system. It is a belief that "perhaps" and "more than likely" that a few billions upon billions of years, times billions and billions and trillions of years ago, there was this magical and mystical event that sparked life in the Universe and (created *snickering*) caused matter to come into existence. Perhaps the story of the theory of evolution should start with "A long, long time ago ... in a galaxy far away ..."

No, that is not what evolution is and how it works. Please go to the thread I linked and see why I accept evolution. I do not understand why you and the others are repeating the same comment about evolution.

Well, I'm skeptical of religion because it teaches us not to be happy with reality. Religion in my opinion is influenced by man. The reason I chose to identify as an atheist because it seemed everyone beliefs center around themselves. Like if they were racist or sexist. There are good religious people. But sadly the bad eggs spoiled my views on a lot of them.

Except I did not use race as a factor (you did). Furthermore, what I said isn't even close in comparison to what you are alleging. Wehrner Von Braun has been credited for landing Armstrong on the moon. Wehrner Von Braun openly admitted that he relied heavily on his faith to understand science. He also stated that intelligent design should be taught in schools. He had quite a controversial background - having been a Nazi - but he was somehow incorporated into the United States and eventually became the first Director of NASA.

Just thought that was kind of important since an atheist once said that religion flies people into buildings and science flies people to the moon.

Furthermore, you stated you "accept" evolution. That is a statement of your "beliefs of what is true". If anything is "influenced by man" it is Science.

I am not attempting to state you are "wrong' about anything. Evolution "could" be right. There is a lot of evidence to support the theory. However, on the flip side to that, a creationist would point out that the evidence you are studying was created by God. They could even point out Scriptures that King Solomon wrote discussing this very thing (and he wrote it 3,500-4,000 years ago *I think*). He was having the very same discussion we are having right now concerning "new things under the sun".
edit on 3-6-2013 by GeisterFahrer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Except I did not use race as a factor (you did). Furthermore, what I said isn't even close in comparison to what you are alleging.

What I was trying to say is that you're using a logical fallacy. In where you express people of faith only contributed to the good and the atheist created nuclear weapons who we all know has caused a lot of deaths. Hopefully you understand where I'm coming from here.

Furthermore, you stated you "accept" evolution. That is a statement of your "beliefs of what is true". If anything is "influenced by man" it is Science.

Are you trying to say man is not smart enough to understand the universe? Is that what you're trying to say?

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 02:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Phoenix267

You fight the good fight when you stand up for what you believe, be it wrong or right in ones eyes or not, I admire that in anybody even with conflicting views. : ) So I do see where your coming from in your reply, but I will challenge you to think in terms of tomorrow not being promised to you. You exist because you exist, this I understand, but terminology aside, something in you gives you the drive, the 'faith' if you will, to believe you will wake another day.

From one 'fighter' to the other 'fighter', I say it is good to accept the challenge of seeing from one anothers' perspective, have a good night!

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Except I did not use race as a factor (you did). Furthermore, what I said isn't even close in comparison to what you are alleging.

What I was trying to say is that you're using a logical fallacy. In where you express people of faith only contributed to the good and the atheist created nuclear weapons who we all know has caused a lot of deaths. Hopefully you understand where I'm coming from here.

Are you trying to say man is not smart enough to understand the universe? Is that what you're trying to say?

I did not allege that only a religious scientist contributed to all "good" discoveries, and that only atheist scientists made bad discoveries. I was alleging that beliefs do matter.

As to your second question, is man smart enough to understand the Universe - no, I wasn't trying to imply anything like that. I was simply stating that there will always be "the unknown" or what cannot possibly be known. You can be a brilliant astrophysicist, but there will be limits to your knowledge. Our knowledge of the universe will always expand.
edit on 3-6-2013 by GeisterFahrer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by honested3

Well, thanks. It gets all confusing because we're debating ideas, concepts, etc. All kinds of subjects where were all over the map. I don't hate you or the other users because you guys think differently than I do. I'm just confused and try to present my side of the story. To the best of my ability.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 03:03 AM
link   

I did not allege that only a religious scientist contributed to all "good" discoveries, and that only atheist scientists made bad discoveries. I was alleging that beliefs do matter.

Well, I misread you then. But it did sound like you were presenting atheist scientist in a bad light. Which I explained about how race is not a factor. But what the scientist does. Also I think Albert Einstein was a pantheist. He didn't identify as an atheist.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join