It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Public Atheist Monument Across from 10 Commandments

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by GeisterFahrer

Originally posted by windword
reply to post by Annee

Just like they have no involvement in the legality of same sex marriage or any of the pro-life legislation.

Do babies have rights? or no? I mean, i am familiar with the definition of viable life .. but i highly doubt a fetus will develop into a dinosaur.
edit on 6-6-2013 by GeisterFahrer because: (no reason given)

LOL! You just want to throw the kitchen sink at this thread, don't you!

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 09:23 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

Just like they have no involvement in the legality of same sex marriage or any of the pro-life legislation.

Do babies have rights? or no? I mean, i am familiar with the definition of viable life .. but i highly doubt a fetus will develop into a dinosaur.

LOL! You just want to throw the kitchen sink at this thread, don't you!

Actually no .. I am not making accusations directed at Christians. I didn't know you were required to be a Christian to believe that the willful destruction of an innocent human being was murder.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

I thought this was about freedom of expression, not legislative influence.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

I'm sorry if I gave you than impression, or if the dialogue was misdirected to that topic.

American Atheists sued Bradford County last July, saying the Christian-sponsored monument in front of the county courthouse was a public endorsement of religion.

It's a separation of church and state issue.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity

It was.

Am I free to believe that if I stop believing in gravity that creationists will float away?

I am sure that is a total secular and neutral belief and I should have my own monument in between the 10 commandments and the atheist one.

I call my belief "weightlessist"

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   

No.

It's about separation of church and state.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Maybe it would be a good idea to post an excerpt directly from the American Atheists website.

“We have maintained from the beginning that the Ten Commandments doesn’t belong on government property,” said Silverman. “There is no secular purpose for the monument whatsoever and it makes atheists feel like second-class citizens. But if keeping it there means we have the right to install our own monument, then installing our own is exactly what we’ll do.”

“The monument emphasizes the role secularism has played in American history,” said Public Relations Director Dave Muscato. “And the Bible quotes make it clear that the Ten Commandments are not the ‘great moral code’ they’re often portrayed to be. Don’t kill, don’t steal? Of course. But worship only the Judeo-Christian god? That conflicts overtly with the very first right in the Bill of Rights, freedom of religion.”

“When it comes to government and religion, there are only two ways to show equality: all or none,” said Ken Loukinen, Regional Operations Director. “I am glad that Bradford County has chosen to show equality and will be a great example for other cities in Florida and the United States.”

news.atheists.org...

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Its a monument. Why is everyone so eager to call technicalities on a monument? Don't we have bigger and better things to argue about? It's an inanimate decoration, its not hurting anybody.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

Its a monument. Why is everyone so eager to call technicalities on a monument? Don't we have bigger and better things to argue about? It's an inanimate decoration, its not hurting anybody.

It's the underlying hatred of religion from the "tolerant' ones.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 10:01 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

You are the only one who seems to be making this an emotional issue.

Atheism has one meaning: Lack of belief in a god/deity.

Atheism does not mean anti god.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 10:10 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

First of all --- it is not "just a monument".

It is inscribed with a specific set of commandments --- from a specific religious belief.

Specific religious beliefs on government property --- which can be construed as an endorsement of religion.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

reply to post by Annee

actually, the statement you posted from their organization was an emotional appeal. A very angry one too.

the whole 'we feel like' leads right into an emotional argument.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 10:16 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

It is inscribed with a specific set of commandments --- from a specific religious belief.

Specific religious beliefs on government property --- which can be construed as an endorsement of religion.

Which people have a right to express ... publicly. The whole "freedom of religion" thing ....

gonna fly my freak flag high ...

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 10:22 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

Which people have a right to express ... publicly.

We aren't talking about people expressing themselves publicly.

We are talking about a permanent fixture, representing belief of a specific religion, on government property.

-------------------

Now that they have allowed these 2 monuments on government property --- I hope others petition to include their own representation.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

Which people have a right to express ... publicly.

We aren't talking about people expressing themselves publicly.

We are talking about a permanent fixture, representing belief of a specific religion, on government property.

-------------------

Now that they have allowed these 2 monuments on government property --- I hope others petition to include their own representation.

that is what I am going to do. i am going to petition to have my very own monument between the two. It is going to be a glass that is either half full or half empty. Not having that monument there is making me feel like a second class citizen.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 10:28 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

actually, the statement you posted from their organization was an emotional appeal. A very angry one too.

Emotional appeal? I don't see any emotional appeal.

Am I aware of oppression of a majority on a minority? Yes.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by GeisterFahrer

" that is what I am going to do. i am going to petition to have my very own monument between the two. It is going to be a glass that is either half full or half empty. Not having that monument there is making me feel like a second class citizen"

You have no idea how hard I'm laughing right now. Good on you, sir, good on you.
edit on 6-6-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 10:39 PM
link   

reply to post by GeisterFahrer

" that is what I am going to do. i am going to petition to have my very own monument between the two. It is going to be a glass that is either half full or half empty. Not having that monument there is making me feel like a second class citizen"

You have no idea how hard I'm laughing right now. Good on you, sir, good on you.
edit on 6-6-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

The way I figure, with my monument there - the whole family can come out and practice their rights to free speech. They can bring a picnic basket and discuss whether that glass is half full or half empty. I am sure a healthy debate will bring fond memories of parent/children debates and disagreements.

And ... even when the child is fully grown, it would be interesting to see if anyone's stance has changed over time

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

I'd like to see a Buddha statue and meditation garden for doing yoga!

Republican candidate believes yoga opens you to satanic possession

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 10:41 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

Emotional appeal? I don't see any emotional appeal.

Am I aware of oppression of a majority on a minority? Yes.

Just because the majority believes one way, does not automatically equate to oppression of a minority that feels differently.

Are atheists required to sit at the back of the bus? drink from atheist only water fountains? eat in the "atheist" side of a restaurant? Are atheists allowed to vote? Are they treated like property? Sold into slavery?

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join