It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looking for help choosing a reel mower.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by SeriousIndividual
This is very simple.

1. Ask yourself why you want to have so much grass to mow?
2. Admit that it is worthless.
3. Mow an area which is a normal size for a home and forget about the rest. Let it become part of nature again.

YES. Other options:

Get some sheep My 4 keep our 6 acres mowed. Just move them around with a solar electric fence. Done.

Similar to above, rent some of the land out to someone else with animals - horses, cows, sheep, possibly goats depending on the pasture. A friend of mine rents pasture for her 2 horses. She built the fence and a run-in shelter, plus pays rent for the land. Easy peasey.

Find someone with a tractor and till it up. Plant a massive garden and feed your town. Or, split it up into plots and rent it out for community garden space. You might make money.

Or, as said above, just let it go back to nature. Butterflies, bees, wild animals, etc. will all thank you.

And everyone, PLEASE skip the roundup. Fragile Earth and all...

Man, I'd love to have an extra 6 acres!

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by jssaylor2007
reply to post by starcraft

I think you had your chemicals mixed up, 2-4D is the growth enhancer not Glyphosphate. One interesting experiment is to dilute, and I mean dilute the HELL out of some 2-4D, and spray a bit of your garden. It will grow like it has never grown before.

We usually notice this when someone sprays a cotton crop, but did not clean their tank well, much of the cotton will die, but some will turn into super-cotton, and some weeds will be super-weeds.

Edit to add: I see you were correct, I misread your post. I find it interesting how roundup basically kills plants, where 2-4D makes them grow to death.
edit on 2-6-2013 by jssaylor2007 because: (no reason given)

That's what the defoliant Pix does...grows the cotton to death, iirc Pix is the same chemical that "Agent Orange" was. Several of the commonly used defoliants/herbicides "grow the plant to death". One of the best herbicides for Nutsedges; Image (imazaquin) does this as well from what I understand.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   
But back to the OP's topic. If it were me and I wanted to use a reel mower, I'd just get a pull type;

You can pull it with a four wheeler or a riding mower.....or, and this would be really cool to see; a team of goats! 20 mule team? Check out my 20 goat team! lol

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by NightSkyeB4Dawn

You can mix white vinegar with water 1 to 1 ratio (2-3 applications) and spray it where you want the vegetation to take a season or two off..For best results; use during the hottest hours of the day.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by EdSurly

No pix actually stops vegetative growth so the cotton puts more growing energy into the fruiting cycle. Paraquat is the same chemical as agent orange, and is actually used for basically the same process. When cotton is ready to be harvested physiologically, they spray Prep (paraquat) on it, which is a defoliant, and also a dessicant. Basically it just makes all of the leaves fall of so that harvest can be conducted cleanly.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by jssaylor2007
reply to post by EdSurly

No pix actually stops vegetative growth so the cotton puts more growing energy into the fruiting cycle. Paraquat is the same chemical as agent orange, and is actually used for basically the same process. When cotton is ready to be harvested physiologically, they spray Prep (paraquat) on it, which is a defoliant, and also a dessicant. Basically it just makes all of the leaves fall of so that harvest can be conducted cleanly.

Ok, thanks for the information. I was under the impression that Pix put bowls on because of the "growth to death" part of the chemical. I grew up in wheat and cattle country, but quite a few folks grew cotton as well. But in the last 10 years or so dry land cotton farming has all but ceased in this area. The only experience I've had with cotton was applying Roundup with a wick applicator (before Roundup resistant cotton) and tromping cotton in the trailers. Oh, and I once made the near fatal mistake of talking a stripper driver into dropping a load on me....luckily I had the presence of mind to face the expanded metal side of the trailer. It's a wonder I lived through my teenage years!

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   
go get some sheep god invented them to keep the grass down

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by Philippines

Burning is sort of...illegal. In some places. And discouraged where it isn't.

edit on 6/2/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

Don't tell me the government made fire illegal now

Burning is practical here, and the ashes make great fertilizer! It's the local way

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join