It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Divided States of America

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 04:38 PM
link   
As many believe there is a growing, bitter divide in this country. A division between what are IMO free thinkers devoted to the progress and positive evolution of the human race, and those desperate to stop, even reverse that progress. The "conservative" religious right has hijacked their base with fear, not only of terrorists that have no desire to attack their farms or small towns, but fear of the very god they claim to love and believe loves them. As they watch man make scientific breakthroughs, find cures for diseases, and find the keys to many of lifes challenges and mysteries, they grow fearful. Fearful that they will start to lose their following, and with it their power. They are afraid people will start to realize that true faith and spirituality come from within, and from the way they treat ALL other living creatures, with respect, even those who are different from themselves, and not reacting to diversity with fear and hatred. Those in power want people to live in an episode of Leave it to Beaver, and not question or continue in the search for the meaning of life or a better understanding of god. They like it just like it is, they spoonfeed the "answers", you swallow it like baby birds, and do not ask such questions as "why is it a moral dilemma to use stem cells to save our parents and grandparents from unbearable suffering and death, but it's no dilemma to kill thousands upon thousands of innocent Iraqis for whatever reasons one may believe we are doing so?"

Not that all "free thinkers" are always right either, many become so entrenched in their own personal rat race and neglect their families. Many are too cynical and self absorbed to bother with such things as voting, even if they say they feel strongly about an issue, as we saw this year, they do not have the conviction of those who are acting on their fear of terrorism and god. If only America could find a middle ground, the left should not be so absorbed in "reality" that they discount their own natural, genetic drive to search for a higher power, and should respect the beliefs of those who are more devoted to their religion. And the right should not feel that just because sombody is not outwardly religious or not religious at all, that they are not good people. Even if they feel those people may not be doing right in the eyes of the god they worship, they should allow god to make that call when the time is right. In the meantime they should respect all life knowing when it is time for judgement, they lived their own lives the way they felt was right, and should be comforted that they will be embraced by their god. I'm sure whatever god they believe in does not require they be hateful and intolerant of others, if they believe that, maybe they should do some serious thinking as to which god they actually do the bidding of, if you know what I mean.

While I am compelled to be angry by what I see as the hijacking of our country by greedy men who have taken control of the minds of good people through fear, I am trying very hard to think positively and believe we still can live in harmony. God and science can co-exist, it's just up to the people to make it so. Combined the two can take the human race to great places, as long as they don't cancel each other out. Just my current feelings. The next four years will be at least, interesting. I guess we'll see where things go from here.

[edit on 6-11-2004 by 27jd]

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I really don't believe the Americas are divided by religion and science. In fact, many scientists believe that someday science will be able to prove Gods existence, and someday may draw humankind closer to God.

I am an agnostic, I openly admit this. I see no absolute evidence either way. Sure, it is unlikely that life could have come from the "primordial soup" and evolves so far, but at the same time you must admit it is unlikely that anything exists at all. Something had to start it all, matter had to have come from somewhere, but as it had to have come from nowhere at the same time, we simply don't understand how anything came to be. Most scientists would be compelled to admit this and because of that admission, be subjective when considering religion.

So you see, there is no major clash between religion and science, religious folks can understand why some do not see God as a "sure thing" and scientists can understand why some people feel God is a sure thing. If the Americans are divided in any sense, they are divided by social class and political ideology, not theology.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 05:12 PM
link   
must.. use... paragraphs!!

PLEASE!

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 05:14 PM
link   
LOL divided America?

Imagine for a minute.... you tree huggin anti gun limp wristed liberals are gonna rise up against the gun toting God fearing Christians and abolish God? You are SO Silly... Clue for you... Muslim fundamentalists are scary... Christian Fundamentalists are something you dont want to know about. Trust me. Muslims will cut your head off... Christians will burn you at the stake.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by QuietSoul
must.. use... paragraphs!!

PLEASE!

Sorry about that. Is that better?

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 05:21 PM
link   
The U.S. has never been a country where everyone believed the same, and it never will be. Not just in political conservative/liberal circles, but in all circles of life, the U.S. contains thousands of subcultures, just as it always has. And who's been in control of the government, at all levels, changes on a periodic basis.

As RANT showed in another thread with a great map of the 2004 election results, the U.S. is not filled with stark red and blue states -- if you're going to assign any color to the states, they'd all be shades of purple!

OK, so George W. Bush has been reelected President for another four years, and you didn't vote for him and don't like the guy. That's fine -- but it's no reason to panic. The world's not going to come to an end.

I can remember, when Bill Clinton was reelected President in 1996, there were a few conservatives who were in a state of panic then too -- they thought that Clinton was going to sell out the U.S.'s soverignty to the U.N., make religion illegal, that there'd be origies in the streets, that he was going to form a police state, that the U.S. military would cease to exist in the next four years, etc.

Were they being irrational? Of course. Just like there are a few liberals who are being irrational now. Just here on ATS, I've heard charges as ridiculous as a civil war breaking out, Bush opening concentration camps for homosexuals, starting a nuclear holocaust, and forming a police state. (Apparently every two-term President gets slapped with the "police state" charge.)

Look, most conservatives are moderate. Most liberals are moderate. I think that, mostly what we argue here at ATS, are the extremes of both sides.

Just keep this in mind (and breathe slowly to relax) next time you start to panic: Bush has already been President for four years. Can you still buy and wear on the streets anti-Bush memorabelia? Of course. Can you still buy adult DVDs and go to strip clubs? Of course. Can you still watch South Park on Comedy Central? Of course. And so on (these are a few random examples of stuff some people feared a Republican President would make illegal). I can still do all these things, and more, and I live in Texas, the heart & soul of modern conservatism!

Please, again I implore, everyone relax. Yes, the President makes decisions that do affect our daily lives, obviously. But the irrational fears on both sides worry me sometimes. It saddens me when I read about people having nervous breakdowns, or even contemplating suicide, over a political election in the U.S.

[edit on 11/6/2004 by ThunderCloud]

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThunderCloud
Please, again I implore, everyone relax. Yes, the President makes decisions that do affect our daily lives, obviously. But the irrational fears on both sides worry me sometimes. It saddens me when I read about people having nervous breakdowns, or even contemplating suicide, over a political election in the U.S.

[edit on 11/6/2004 by ThunderCloud]

I agree Bush will not bring the end of the world, probably.
And the divide I am referring to is the major cultural divide between the city dwellers and the small town folk. It is a growing division, one that's been around for some time, sure, but it is widening, it would be hard to argue otherwise. We are coming to a major crossroad, IMO, of course nobody should panic, but it cannot be ignored. Civil war, while extemely unlikely, cannot be dismissed as completely impossible. I doubt if the unlikely became reality, that it would happen overnight, but the seed is there. If it sprouts, we have the opportunity to destroy it if tolerance can be observed by all. I know that's asking alot from the human race, but it too is not impossible.

top topics

join