It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Star Trek. The social sin.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Following on from the introvert thread I was wondering about something that I have found strange all my life.

Sine I was 4 (28 years ago now!) I have always loved star trek. All the movies, and all the series.

I can happily sit down, on my own and watch them over and over, wondering about our own future and inspiring me. I find the technological ideas fascinating and have seen several come to fruition in reality over the years. On the whole, its inspiration and ideals have given rise to a great deal of good in this world. Some of our every day technology was even inspired (in part) by it.

It has given a lot to society over 5 decades.

So, why, when I tell people that I like star trek is it "funny", and im instantly labelled a "nerd / geek". People literally laugh at it.

Now, from my point of view, the new trend that almost everyone seems to be into is utterly ridiculous and degenerating society. That trend I am speaking of is CELEBRITY.

Why is it not ok / weird to like star trek but absolutely acceptable, and, dare I say it, "normal" to want to know what Lindsay lohans latest photo reveal is, what Victoria Beckham is saying about Jordan, What someones new Bikini body looks like and what footballer is cheating on what z list celebrity plastic looking inflated ego woman.

look at the popularity of shows like "jersey shore" and the various UK counterparts - URGH HOW ARE THESE PEOPLE POPULAR AND INTERESTING? What does it give to society? Why are they even on TV?

I find it unfathomable!
edit on 1-6-2013 by siliconpsychosis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by siliconpsychosis

I think reality TV has dumbed down society...

Before "the reality TV" explosion... Shows like Jersey shore wouldn't even have been considered.

Now party animals and morons get their own show...

TV sucks... it always has since this reality TV thing started...

but Jersey shore is a new low.... IQ's are dropping as we speak

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Star Trek has a message. It involved topical issues of the day (still relevant in my humble) it had a plot line, a story to follow, character dialogue, a history.

Housewives of Where ever require no thought.
Linsey Lohan's photos require no thought.
Kardashian's require no thought.

Most people don't like having to face the fact that they are incapable of any thought longer than a half-decaf-mocho-tofu-latte at the favorite coffee house. Hence the ridicule.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

The sums it up nicely. I find it terribly sad.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Now, there are some key differences here that must be understood. Namely, that liking Star Trek isn't the same as liking Star Trek. I mean, I like Star Trek. I have seen all the original and NG episodes, and a fair share of DS9. But I would never buy merchandise, go to conventions, do cosplay.....that is for the fanatics.

And being a fanatic isn't so bad. But ask yourself: at the average convention how many folks would you say come from "the cool crowd"? And that is your answer.

Regardless, why do you care about being a nerd? Nerds are cool. It ain't 1954 any more. Nerds became cool in the 90's. Just don't let your interests turn you into the Star Trek equivalent of the "creepy cat lady".

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

im not *that* interested. I was using star trek as an example of how something that really deserves some respect largely isn't.

I just watch it, and play a little STO (which is very cool)

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Wear the Trekkie badge with honor my Brother.
Get past caring what others think.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by staple
Wear the Trekkie badge with honor my Brother.
Get past caring what others think.

I don't care what they think because evidently, they don't think about it. Its just a programmed socially acceptable reaction!
edit on 1-6-2013 by siliconpsychosis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   
people want to belong and things that pander to the lowest common denominator can appeal to a wider audience and draw more and more people in
get a few retards on board and pretty soon people will accept and enjoy (or feign enjoyment anyway) it simply to be accepted by their peers .....creates a pretty bad cyclical problem really

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   
What I love about the Star Trek series is how the Federation is based on the western world, from the point of view of the west, the Klingons were based on the Russians, being an aggressive race and the Romulans are based on the Chinese, being the secretive race that the Federation didn't know a lot about.

I am not sure who they based the Ferengi on because they seem to be a materialistic race only interested in money which seems to me to apply to the whole world not a particular nation.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Well...i would say Jersey Shore is popular because it props up egos. You can't help but feel morally superior to those morons no matter how big of a scoundrel you are.

They validate the poor decisions that people make.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Being called a geek and nerd by the ones who have a trouble using high cognative power should be a positive thing for you. If you can evolve to be bright person while keeping empathy then it is a good thing. The mind is a extreme tool that can be used or ignored totally. Some people are clearly not using their minds and that makes their minds lazy, just like a body becomes lazy if it is not exercised enought.

We are not all here on the same level and with the same abilities unfortunately because if we where we would have created a fair world system long ago. If some one do not like star trek because if is not their cup of tea, then fine, but I think many people who do not get it do not understand or have enough of imagination to get it.

Also seeing the series later in life when you have gotten more experiances can make you notice even more nuances that you did not get the first time around since you have grown from the first time you saw it.

One of the things on this planet that where clearly a bit ahead of it's time and have shaped people in a positive way.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jinn82
What I love about the Star Trek series is how the Federation is based on the western world, from the point of view of the west, the Klingons were based on the Russians, being an aggressive race and the Romulans are based on the Chinese, being the secretive race that the Federation didn't know a lot about.

I am not sure who they based the Ferengi on because they seem to be a materialistic race only interested in money which seems to me to apply to the whole world not a particular nation.

An ideal western world where money no longer matters built from eastern spiritual/native american philosophy that we should work together for a common goal between different species and races.

The western world of today seems to be more like waring like a Klingon without honor bought on by uncontrolled greed (Ferengi), (Romulan) security and (Cardasian) Ppropaganda to control the people.
edit on 2-6-2013 by LittleByLittle because: Spellchecking

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
Just don't let your interests turn you into the Star Trek equivalent of the "creepy cat lady".

Haha
The creepy cat lady at least is content with her cats. Most nerds are, IMO, slightly embarrassed by their nerddom. Though, they shouldn't be. They should own it like any other personality trait that doesn't harm themselves or others!
Liking or liking a nerdy thing is not a sin unless the individual seems embarrassed or shameful for it. And in my opinion, there is no reason to be.

edit on 2-6-2013 by schmirror because: code ;/

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 07:44 AM
link   
It's because about 83% of us are infected with brain parasites that control our mind. You are one of those not infected. Congratulations, and, my condolences, all at once. You will be shunned. But, through the power of your free mind, you can sometimes find ways to amaze and gain the respect of these hosts. You will never feel the love from these beings the way you'd like and how it would.be if they were not infected. Find someone else like you, and put stock in their opinion. Not one of the infected. I don't know how t works, I'm just beginning to learn more and theorize but I hope this helps, and it is a scientifically accepted fact about the brain parasites, ok? I suspect that there should be notable differences between an infected and a non infected that we could all notice if we knew what to look for. I think it has a lot to do with tolerance of others beliefs. But that's just a starting point.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

IQ's are dropping as we speak

Actually, a recent report shows just that. Of course, it's ridiculously easy to skew statistics, but the report mentioned that more intelligent women are less likely to reproduce, and that was the big factor. For a day, it was on all the radio shows, etc., but nothing else much from it. Personally, I think it's pretty speculative, but yeah, I think as we rely more and more on tech vs. learning things for ourselves, we're getting dumber.

How many kids today can't even do basic math well in their heads?

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   
List of topics that you can only discuss if willing to let your geek flag fly...

1) Star Trek, Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica, Stargate, Dr. Who, etc. (any sci-fi show that is featured in conventions).
2) Referring to any in number 1, by their initials is even worse (like STNG or BSG, etc.)
3) D&D (Dungeons & Dragons). By the way, to a "normie", ALL non video game RPGs are D&D
4) Comic Book characters who do not have major movies featuring them, or any villain/power/activity outside of said movies. Example, you can talk about Iron Man and the Mandarin, but if you mention rings of power, you've now committed a social sin.
5) Card games that aren't played with a standard deck of playing cards (i.e. like Magic The Gathering, etc.)
6) Pokemon (only ok if your age is one digit, or the first digit of a two-digit age is a 1).
7) Any physics concept not mentioned on the TV show "The Big Bang Theory" (and even if it was, tread carefully)
8) Any activity that involves Cosplay (and if I have to explain the term, then you aren't geeky enough to worry about this list).
9. When asked what you'd like to drink, answering "Mt. Dew".
10. Doing movie quotes (especially from films that only "our" people would have seen).

I'm sure you can think of many others....

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
List of topics that you can only discuss if willing to let your geek flag fly...
3) D&D (Dungeons & Dragons). By the way, to a "normie", ALL non video game RPGs are D&D
8) Any activity that involves Cosplay (and if I have to explain the term, then you aren't geeky enough to worry about this list).

Before geeks become members of AARP.

They are members of LARP

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I know exactly what you mean.

While I was never a fan of the original series, for whatever reason I've always thoroughly enjoyed the movies based on it. (When Spock "dies" in the radiation chamber at the end of Wrath of Khan, I, uh... dude, I'm tearing up just typing about it. "I have been, and always shall be, your friend." Oh my god OHMYGOD) I also love The Next Generation as well as the handful of movies based on that series as well. I never got into Deep Space Nine or Voyager. Anyway... It's such a funny thing to bring up in certain circles, because it seems that regardless of demographic, far and away the most common response is an eye roll or blank smirk followed by a breathless "Really?" I guess most people think of fans as those who devote entire blogs to the physics of phaser technology or as someone who has a cat named "Tribble."

Bleh...

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by schmirror

Yeah...any mention of LARP'ing is right out the door man....

Other no-no's....

Paintball
Renaissance Festivals

Now acceptable:
Band Camp (only because of the American Pie reference)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join