It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Simple question: All invited

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Does your government represent the needs, wants, and dreams of the majority?

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

U.S. here. And I say no. I don't want anymore of our children (soldiers) dying in world affairs that don't directly and immediately threaten our country.

I don't want our jobs going to other countries and then having those countries ship those products back to us.
edit on 6/1/2013 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

edit on 6/1/2013 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Nope! Only the Corporations and the Wealthy!

However Jigger.................when we ask the question that you did in your OP, is that what our Country was based on? After all, a Democracy is mob rules, where as a Republic is based upon protecting those whom are in the minority.....

As our politicians use the Constitution when it only applies to their reasoning, isn't it that old piece of parchment that forbids mob rules?
edit on 1-6-2013 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Nope...Eventhough I have a job, married, and can still pursue my happiness as far as I know. I still feel like something is missing. It feels like we are paying for the gov's screw ups instead of taking care of business and taking care of the country as a whole. I still love the USA, but damn it man, can we just cut the crap instead of perpetuating it?
edit on 6/1/1313 by 1MrMarc because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

NO...

My government and the positions in said government are filled with a bunch of greedy morons that represent the needs of like minded individuals...

Happy to line their pockets with taxpayers money any chance they get...

They can barely run an election... let alone a country...

Welcome to Canada... Land of the free, home of the taxed to death

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Oh hell no!

I'm here in the UK, we do everything USA style...but on a small island!

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Unfortunately, yes.

Our government represents the needs and wants of the majority who want to have as much as possible with no bill at the end of the day.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by jiggerj

Unfortunately, yes.

Our government represents the needs and wants of the majority who want to have as much as possible with no bill at the end of the day.

I guess you are right, Beez.
But the pigs at the trough hold only a slim majority.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by jiggerj

Unfortunately, yes.

When you put it that way, the answer is yes...isn't it? I had a different reply in mind but your note brought me up short. Frankly, I can't find a way to disagree with the simple truth in it. We're a nation divided and the general world view I think you and I both tend to share the same side of, lost the coin toss for the 49/51 (figuratively) split. 8 years on, 8 years off, 8 years on again. I wonder what the next 8 hold for which 'side' flips the majority after this.

We really do get the mess we deserve, don't we?

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

reply to post by butcherguy

It's sad when a nation is so polarized that a virtual coin-toss can determine the direction of a nation.

As grey as many want to paint the political landscape, there are very black and white issues.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I don't think any government or political individual cares about or represents anything other than their own individual lust for the fruits of the money tree.

Any politician who says otherwise is outright lying.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

After all, a Democracy is mob rules,

Is that worse than a ruling party of elites that have no idea what the common man wants and needs? I wonder how many of our representatives know the price of a loaf of bread, or know how many down-to-earth Americans would prefer working with their hands over talking on the phone or working with computers (in reference to the U.S. becoming a nation of information rather than good, wholesome, and rewarding work)?

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   

U.S. here. And I say no. I don't want anymore of our children (soldiers) dying in world affairs that don't directly and immediately threaten our country. I don't want our jobs going to other countries and then having those countries ship those products back to us.
reply to post by jiggerj

That pretty much sums up the way I feel.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   

No, they do not. And they really shouldn't, either. "The majority" is only part of a nation. All nations are made up of individuals. It would seem that a government would have a duty to each individual person. Thus, the rights of the individual usurp the rights of the majority.

But that does not mean that their actions represent the needs, wants, and dreams of the individual, either. It is a rogue government, maintaining its own interest (via the interests of the individuals within it).

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   

reply to post by seeker1963

After all, a Democracy is mob rules,

Is that worse than a ruling party of elites that have no idea what the common man wants and needs? I wonder how many of our representatives know the price of a loaf of bread, or know how many down-to-earth Americans would prefer working with their hands over talking on the phone or working with computers (in reference to the U.S. becoming a nation of information rather than good, wholesome, and rewarding work)?

One more comment: in the above there is a comparison between 2 turds: mob rule vs the status quo. Both are wrong. It is like saying, "well, is getting kicked int he groin really any worse than having your pinky cut off?"

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   
there was only on anarchist state in modern history, and that didn't last long. government will allways be imperfect but we need it.
think how smart the average person is. then remember 50% of the population is stupider than them.
we need to be governed.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

One more comment: in the above there is a comparison between 2 turds: mob rule vs the status quo. Both are wrong. It is like saying, "well, is getting kicked int he groin really any worse than having your pinky cut off?"

First I was going to say that a majority rule can't get things THAT wrong, then I immediately thought of the religious Middle East nations - there goes that theory. So, what IS the answer, BFFT?

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 08:34 PM
link   

reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

First I was going to say that a majority rule can't get things THAT wrong, then I immediately thought of the religious Middle East nations - there goes that theory. So, what IS the answer, BFFT?

I have no real answer. But i would suspect that it will only work best when we find a way to "live naturally" in our current world. It would seem that government stopped providing a service to the people, and started to instead provide a service to itself.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 03:27 AM
link   
These entities in the WhiteHouse (I just don't know if they are people, at times, sorry,) represent the wealthiest lobbyists. They represent Monsanto.

top topics

join