It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraq says Al Qaeda poison gas cell busted in Baghdad

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Well, this is one you don't necessarily hear every day. They DID find WMD in Iraq! (Sorry.. couldn't resist that one)

Seriously though, it sounds like it truly is a question of time before someone in the Middle East uses a chemical weapon with reach and spread to do some really horrible damage.

Iraq’s defense ministry said on Saturday that it has broken up an Al-Qaeda cell that was working to produce poison gas at two locations in the capital for future attacks at home and abroad.

The group of five people built two facilities to produce sarin and mustard gas, using instructions from another Al-Qaeda group, spokesman Mohammed al-Askari told a news conference.

The members of the cell were prepared to launch attacks domestically, and also had a network to smuggle the toxins to neighboring countries, and also to Europe and North America, Askari said.
Source

I'd sincerely hope it doesn't happen, but after the Rebels caught with chem weapons in Turkey and now this? It looks like a bunch of people are working on roughly the same thing at about the same time.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Id like to see the proofs
Too convenient in timing....
i dont believe anything without some proof ANY MORE.(AND DAMN LITTLE THEY do PROVE FOR THAT MATTER)

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Thanks for sharing this news. It is always a weird mystery with terrorism and groups like the Taliban and Al Qaeda who are always coming out with different tactics.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by stirling

Another story out right now says they are at just over 1,000 for a death toll across May alone in Iraq. It's the highest monthly total since 2008. There is still a very active, very violent war going on there. It never ended. The US just left it's part of it and let them finish what we helped start.

I don't find this very hard to believe when some of the 'Al Qaeda in Iraq' affiliates are with Syrian Rebels ...who themselves have filmed testing on rabbits with home brew chemical weapons. That is proof enough for it being made and by people who are generally all on the same side by recent statements from all around.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 11:58 PM
link   
This is interesting.

This week or last, I think, a group of men linked to the terrorists/rebels/fsa in Syria, were busted in a southern Turkish city with sarin gas, which they planned on using in that city for an attack.
I'm not sure where I read it, here or another site though.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Problem I have is: Is this legit, or is it PR to beat the drums of war in the mideast again? For example, is this building towards a future justification for putting ground forces back into Iraq, or in Syria, that sort of thing. After being guaranteed Saddam still had them in 2003, I'm a bit more skeptical when I hear about some group or nation has WMD's now.

join