It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to make an Android phone ATS widget

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Hello good people of ATS. The purpose of this thread is to share how i created an Android smartphone homescreen widget for ATS, like the one shown below.

The first thing you need to do is go to Google Play Store, and download Simple RSS Widget

Then you need too add the RSS feed of your choice. I personally use New Topics so I can catch every thread, as there are so many posted daily.

New Topics feed link. -- feeds.abovetopsecret.com...

Others you can use are Top Topics -

** feeds.abovetopsecret.com...

And Hot Topics

** feeds.abovetopsecret.com...

Once you have finished adding the RSS feed of your choice, then all you need to do is set it up to your requirements. Below is a screenshot of my settings, that make the widget look like the first picture.

And that's that, you should be good to go. I hope someone, somewhere finds this helpful.

King
edit on 1/6/2013 by kingears because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Great info. I prefer browsing the full site myself. But that's just me.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

Thank you.

I do too. I created the thread on my SGS3.

When you click on a story displayed in the widget, it will open your browser and take you directly to that thread.

King

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by kingears

Very good
love it

I am working on a app now iv only been doing it for 4 month and i love it.Hard but fun

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by coolcatt

Thanks. Are you developing an ATS app?

King

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Sorry...... No my friend mine is about cars....Iv been working on a list view all day am trying to open a list view inside a dialog which i have done but i cant assign the list view id so i can click on any item inside of it and then it will open a new activity ?

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Fair play to you for trying to learn
. I've tried to learn some basic eclipse, but its so confusing I struggle to get my head around all the coding involved

King

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Yeah me too with eclipse. I found the coding all a bit weird at first but the more you look at it for a long time it start to go in
good luck with you projects

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Thanks and you sir

King

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   

I just thought if you don't know about it stack overflow.com

It is very good site if you need help.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Ahh Eclipse.. all things android is a PITA to program.

Bluestacks makes testing a lot easier. But the android app inventor also makes it a little easier to develop apps, even if they are limited in their complete functionality over that of java.

I have to look more into that as I would ideally like something similar to what you have produces here as a widget, but without having to resort to a third party thing to create it.

I had to install a thing called SL4A (Scripting Layer for Android) just to be able to run bash scripts from the home screen. Utterly ridiculous. But it was the only thing I could get to function using root. Oo

I mean I could drop to a terminal and run the scripts manually, but that defeats the purpose of having a quick access shortcut. Just to set the cpu frequency and governor from the homescreen and not have to pay someone for a half arsed app that does similar to what Id like.

I also insalled something called Zooper that lets you code a widget to display info you want about the device. Mostly to show what carrier I am on, whether im on wifi (and what ssid) and how much ram is eaten up, so I can see when I clear ram if it frees up effectively.

I'd much rather code these myself. Just no real experience bypassing the 'user experience' of android and getting down to the nitty gritty.

I'd so install ubuntu on my tablet if I thought it would be workable and not even more infuriating lol.

I really like your thing here tho so I think I'll borrow that!
at a glance info on the home screen. nice work!

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 04:52 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

Thank you for the compliment. I wish i understood half of what you just posted lol. My knowledge of these things is fairly basic. I've tried making a few custom roms for personal use but even those only really consisted of removing bloatware and adding apps from other devices, but even that i found difficult to do becsuse of compatability issues. I'm rubbish at trying to learn coding. I've tried repeatedly to do so but I get frustrated as I can't comprehend some of the basic stuff let alone the more complex parts

King
edit on 8/12/2013 by kingears because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join