Woman Fatally Shot by Police at Cosco Handing Out Pizza Samples.

page: 4
31
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

log in

join

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by shaneslaughta

I never said that they couldn't kill? I said i wouldn't take a life over scissors or a knife unless there was an immediate threat to life.
You don't know me, you don't know my background, my history or anything. get out of here with that pics or it didn't happen crap. if something like this should ever arise my first priority is the situation, not your PC viewing pleasure.



Yup, you don't know me and I don't know you.

What i know is when people make statements about situations like this on a forum it holds no water.
Everyone thinks they would do the right thing, everyone things they are the fastest, everyone thinks it would slow down like bullet time and you could shoot her just in the hand.

I go back to my statement, next time you are in that situation record it so everyone else can learn how to do it right.




posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Siberbat
reply to post by intrepid
 


For all we know it could have been a medical issue causing this behavior. Low blood sugar can make people act aggressive and confused. It could mimic signs of psychosis as well. However, combine that with scissors and knives...its a bad situation.


That 's true. I was reading an article a few months back that a trucker was going to get charged for impaired and it was found out that it was his blood sugars that were screwed up.



posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by MongusePro
 

Originally posted by MongusePro

....and besides it's cosco i doubt this lady was given a blade of any significance due to H&S
What exactly are the prerequisites that determine whether or not a knife is 'significant'?

Do you think that BIG knives are the only knives that can be significantly dangerous?





I could kill someone with either of these↓.



edit on 6/1/13 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)



posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

That would be a possibility.

I would hope, given the unique circumstances of the event, that an autopsy would be performed. That would answer many questions. I didn't see in the article where one was to be performed, but that could have simply been an oversight in reporting.

TheRedneck



posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   
will be interesting to see what happens since ANOTHER COUNTRY is going to be looking over the police departments shoulders over this. this tells me that the US is becoming known by the world for their "cops gone wild" policing.


The following statement was submitted Thursday by the Philippine Embassy regarding the shooting: "The Embassy of the Republic of the Philippines extends its deepest sympathy to the family of Mylene De Leon Scott, a member of the Filipino-American Community, who was shot dead by police officers responding to a reported disturbance inside the Costco Wholesale Store in Sterling, Virginia, on Wednesday, 29 May 2013. The Embassy stands ready to extend its assistance to the family of Ms. Scott. We will continue to coordinate with police authorities in Loudoun County to secure more information on this case. We share the concerns expressed by Ms. Scott's family in the Philippines and the members of the Filipino-American Community that law enforcement officials may have responded with disproportionate force. We request authorities to conduct a thorough, impartial and expeditious investigation of the incident."
www.nbcwashington.com...


The National Federation of Filipino American Associations (NaFFAA) and the Washington DC-based Migrant Heritage Commission (MHC) yesterday (Friday in Manila) also called for a thorough investigation of the case and offered assistance to Scott’s family. MHC coexecutive director Arnedo Valera said they have reached out to Scott’s family to offer free legal services. Read more: globalnation.inquirer.net... Follow us: @inquirerdotnet on Twitter | inquirerdotnet on Facebook


interesting is the fact that the Philippine government has been trying rather hard to deal with their police issues, while in the US it seems that they are just letting cops do as they will. third world nation and first world nation, what a difference in approach of bad cops.



posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid
 


The problem is that the system is so broken, a lot of people know it but don't care because it don't effect them.

I would say a jury but the problem with that is in the selection process....i think you know where I'm going with this.

I feel that training should be ongoing, re certification on weapon platforms is a must.

Also full blown psychological profiles on these officers is a good idea. With the things they deal with its no wonder they go a little crazy.



posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321
 


Seriously... i don't often point out flaws in the posters critique but really? You're going to pull that card on me. You know what i meant now stop fishing for shrimp and post something worthy of debate or leave please.



posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by opethPA

Yup, you don't know me and I don't know you.

What i know is when people make statements about situations like this on a forum it holds no water.
Everyone thinks they would do the right thing, everyone things they are the fastest, everyone thinks it would slow down like bullet time and you could shoot her just in the hand.

I go back to my statement, next time you are in that situation record it so everyone else can learn how to do it right.


Sure ill get right on that instead of worrying about the life threatening situation.

These cops are trained to kill pure and simple, sad to say it but most lack common sense and jump for the lethal option.

Its really simple, response is based on necessity.

If someone threatens to beat you with their hands you gonna pull a knife? hands still kill? should i get mine registered as lethal weapons?

Use your brain and stop trolling. No one is going to worry about entertaining you with their life on the line.



posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by shaneslaughta
I feel that training should be ongoing, re certification on weapon platforms is a must.

Also full blown psychological profiles on these officers is a good idea. With the things they deal with its no wonder they go a little crazy.


Now these are things we agree on and something I would like to think happens but facts would not always indicate that they do.



posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by shaneslaughta
Sure ill get right on that instead of worrying about the life threatening situation.

These cops are trained to kill pure and simple, sad to say it but most lack common sense and jump for the lethal option.

Its really simple, response is based on necessity.

If someone threatens to beat you with their hands you gonna pull a knife? hands still kill? should i get mine registered as lethal weapons?

Use your brain and stop trolling. No one is going to worry about entertaining you with their life on the line.



At what point haven't I used my brain? You should also learn the definition of trolling because not a single thing I have said any of my responses here is close to trolling.

You weren't there and neither was I. Like i said in my earlier posts I want to know why other non-lethal approaches were not used. What I didn't say was "I would shoot to disarm" because while everyone likes to think they have that self control you don't know that you do until you are in that situation and even then, each situationscenario is different.
edit on 1-6-2013 by opethPA because: (no reason given)



posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Siberbat
 


Great contribution and interesting to know. I'm surprised a knife has a striking radius of upto 21ft but saying that iv'e heard of some crazy human feats when people are under pressure and drugged up to the eyeballs with a adrenaline.

Going off that we can say the may have followed correct procedure. Do you not however think it was still a excessive?



posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Let's ignore the obvious and just continue to "bash" cops.



Deputies were called to the store to handle the disturbance. After they arrived, Scott -- who worked for a company that handles sampling at Costco stores -- approached the officers with the sharp items, authorities said. One deputy tried to use a stun gun on Scott, but Chapman said the stun gun "did not work," and another deputy fatally shot her.


and again .



posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by MongusePro.
Going off that we can say the may have followed correct procedure. Do you not however think it was still a excessive?


I think their needs to more info before saying it was excessive. On the surface it seems like it was but what was actually happening at the time she was shot?

Was she standing 20 feet away and slowing walking towards the officers/employees. That would seem excessive.
Was she 5 feet away and quickly closing in on people, who knows if that would be deemed excessive.



posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by opethPA
 


I must have misread part of your post, i got a different vibe than what your putting out there now.

I have been endangered before, hand the life damn near choked out of me....when i got the upper hand i almost beat my assailant to death.....but i controlled myself because that is just not something i wish to do.

I have no wish to take any life, it don't mean that i wouldn't if i absolutely had to.
Like we both said, different situations different approaches.

Sorry for accusing you of trolling, i thought you were just trying to get a rise out of me.

Temper Temper



posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck
 



Originally posted by TheRedneck

.....but what about mace? What about disarming hand-to-hand? A knife and scissors may be deadly, but only at close range...
This just now occurred to me, but...

Don't cops still have/use those bean bag shotguns? I wonder why the hell they didn't use one. Especially when considering that the cops already knew what her weapons her before they arrived on the scene, and also because of the fact that it's an open store, with customers inside.



posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   
This is off topic and I apologize for that but this needs pointing out. This thread COULD have been nasty, given the topic but it's been a pleasure to be a part of. ATS needs more discussion like what you guys have done here.



posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Woman shot for running with scissors...............hmmmmmmmm
The cops are badly trained poorly vetted bullies.
Bullies are COWARDS
they will just keep on shooting people till we change the requirments for service....
i am deadly serious folks
they are the wrong psyche profile for the job.....



posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid
 


HERE HERE!

We need more constructive working threads. This could have gotten really heated and personal.
Good job keeping it professional ATS!



posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
Let's ignore the obvious and just continue to "bash" cops.



Deputies were called to the store to handle the disturbance. After they arrived, Scott -- who worked for a company that handles sampling at Costco stores -- approached the officers with the sharp items, authorities said. One deputy tried to use a stun gun on Scott, but Chapman said the stun gun "did not work," and another deputy fatally shot her.


and again .


How did you come to the conclusion that we are 'ignoring the obvious'?! Also i think you will find the majority of conversation has been balanced on the cops actions not an outright bash fest.

A Lot of people seem to be of the opinion that one size fits all one outcome of one scenario.. Just because its a textbook case to use deadly force does not mean i should be used.



posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by shaneslaughta
reply to post by opethPA
 


I must have misread part of your post, i got a different vibe than what your putting out there now.

I have been endangered before, hand the life damn near choked out of me....when i got the upper hand i almost beat my assailant to death.....but i controlled myself because that is just not something i wish to do.

I have no wish to take any life, it don't mean that i wouldn't if i absolutely had to.
Like we both said, different situations different approaches.

Sorry for accusing you of trolling, i thought you were just trying to get a rise out of me.

Temper Temper


Nothing at all to be sorry for..It's so easy to take things out of context on forums or posts. =)

My original points were the suspect made horrible choices to ruin multiple lives and without knowing all the details it's hard to say it was excessive. On the surface it seems like it could have been but without knowing all the variables I can't say that for sure.



  exclusive video


new topics
top topics
 
31
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

log in

join