It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Gourmet Vegan Cooking With Pics! :-)

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by GargIndia

I use rice, soy, and nut milks frequently; I am doing quite well without dairy. ^_^

While I understand what you are saying, your advice is only useful for vegetarians. Vegans do not use/consume animal products of any kind (nor do they need to), including drinking milk or using dead animal hides. The milk production process is very cruel, especially in commercial farms, and we do not feel the need to take drink another being's milk or take their skin for our own use.

But since continuing this particular conversation would derail this thread, we will just have to agree to disagree on the subject. ^_^

oddpenguin
edit on 8/28/2013 by oddpenguin because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by GargIndia
reply to post by Air0x

I shall give you recipe of flat-bread which is easy enough.

You need a flat bottom heavy pan (very shallow). You can buy a pan made of cast iron or aluminium which is at least 12 inch wide.
Buy a simple uncoated pan.

Buy some whole grain flour (wheat flour preferred).

In a mixing bowl, put 2 cups wheat flour. Add a pinch of salt and one tablespoon yogurt. If you do not have yogurt, add a little cooking oil, around two teaspoons. Knead the flour with hands, adding water as needed.

Once the dough is ready, cover it with a thick cloth and set aside for around one hour. Do not refrigerate.

Now divide the dough in equal portions (around 8-10 portions).

Take one portion and make a round shape with hands or on a wooden board. Use extra wheat flour for dustng so that dough does not stick to the surface.

Roll the dough with a rolling pin into a flat bread shape. If you do not have a rolling pin, you can use your hands to flatten the dough and spread it, though it takes practice.

Heat the pan for a minute on medium heat. Now put a rolled bread in the pan. Shake the pan every 10-15 seconds so that bread does not stick to the bottom. Cook each side of the bread around 30 seconds (1 minute for both sides). You may find it difficult initially, but you will get better with practice.

You repeat the process for the remaining portions of dough.

These breads will suffice dinner for two people. The sides can be lentil soup, green salad with fresh fruit, sauteed vegetables etc.

I shall give you a recipe of mint chutney and mango chutney which you can spread on the bread, if you do not have much time to cook. The chutneys can be refrigerated

Yes, indeed it was easy to make

Here is my result: External image
I did add some extra yoghurt to the recipe. At the bread I got banana spread (Cinnamon, Bananas and Lemon juice)
Beside the bread I got, Soyayoghurt and oat milk. Good as a breakfast or in the evening.
edit on 28/8/13 by Air0x because: (no reason given)

edit on 28/8/13 by Air0x because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by oddpenguin

Appreciate your point.

Animal products are everywhere in the market, including medicines you consume. It is very hard to avoid.

You are correct about industrial farms. Please do as is appropriate for you in your situation.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Air0x

Very good job. It will get better with practice.

You can cook the flat-bread some more so that it is not raw. Please use a cast iron pan, as it works better.

Your recipe of banana spread is very good.

Cow milk is necessary if you want to practice 'yoga'. The cow milk has certain ingredients that make the body resistant to diseases, and improves bone joints flexibility. However milk should be organic, that is, obtained from healthy animals that are not given hormones or steroids.

If you come to India, I shall give you a crash course on how to rear a cow.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 09:45 PM
link   
So glad to see this thread revived!

I'll add some more pics I have on my phone tomorrow. Been getting creative with my smoothies especially!

Anyone into green smoothies or have some of their favorite recipes?

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Spinach, kale, and avocado make lovely smoothies. You can also make sweet smoothies with them if you add fruit. Frozen bananas or frozen soy/rice/almond milk cubes make a good substitute for the ice cubes.

oddpenguin

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Real men eat this...

edit on 29-8-2013 by spartacus699 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Cow milk is not vegan. Vegetarian, yes- but not vegan. There are vitamin and mineral fortified plant milks. And I do yoga just fine.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Cool! That is exactly what I do. I have made pure straight-up vegetable green smoothies but they can come out a bit 'grassy' tasting. Like you mentioned, I'll sometimes toss in a cup of mixed berries or a banana to sweeten it up a bit.

I noticed that MOST green smoothie recipes include a very small portion of fruit to lighten the taste a bit.

Sometimes I just don't want the sweet fruity/taste. I find that adding some tomato and carrots make it a bit better- almost v8-ish. Straight up greens can be a bit shocking. LOL!

And I, too, love spinach and kale in my smoothies!

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD

Cow milk is not vegan. Vegetarian, yes- but not vegan. There are vitamin and mineral fortified plant milks. And I do yoga just fine.

OK. I get your point. But you do use cheese.
Yoga is NOT exercise that people do. It is far more than that.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Non dairy cheeses that are plant-based.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Would be very happy to know a recipe of such a cheese.
I like your cooking though, specially the presentation.

Great job.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   

I don't make my own cheeses- I'm lazy in that regard.

But there are several lines of vegan cheeses at specialty/health stores like Sun Harvest and Whole Foods.

I mostly use rice or almond cheeses but there are also soy cheeses (but there is controversy concerning soy products).

Not very good by itself but it blends in nicely in recipes.
Also, I noticed adding in a bit of sea salt will help them taste more like real cheese.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by GargIndia
reply to post by Air0x

Very good job. It will get better with practice.

You can cook the flat-bread some more so that it is not raw. Please use a cast iron pan, as it works better.

Your recipe of banana spread is very good.

Cow milk is necessary if you want to practice 'yoga'. The cow milk has certain ingredients that make the body resistant to diseases, and improves bone joints flexibility. However milk should be organic, that is, obtained from healthy animals that are not given hormones or steroids.

If you come to India, I shall give you a crash course on how to rear a cow.

Yes, it was quite raw inside, next time I will try to make the pieces even thicker and use a cast iron pan.
Indeed it is I like the banana spread a lot.

Alright, then I am not a vegan anymore and easier too find products

Here is a good recipe for veggo burger.

Original recipe makes 4 patties

1 (16 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 green bell pepper, cut into 2 inch pieces
1/2 onion, cut into wedges
3 cloves garlic, peeled
1 egg. I replaced 1 egg with 2 teaspoons of yoghurt, 2% fat.
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon cumin, (I think this might be too much cumin try 1/2)
1 teaspoon Thai chili sauce or hot sauce
1/2 cup bread crumbs

Directions

If grilling, preheat an outdoor grill for high heat, and lightly oil a sheet of aluminum foil. If baking, preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C), and lightly oil a baking sheet.

In a medium bowl, mash black beans with a fork until thick and pasty.

In a food processor, finely chop bell pepper, onion, and garlic. Then stir into mashed beans.

In a small bowl, stir together egg, chili powder, cumin, and chili sauce.

Stir the egg mixture into the mashed beans. Mix in bread crumbs until the mixture is sticky and holds together. Divide mixture into four patties.

If grilling, place patties on foil, and grill about 8 minutes on each side. If baking, place patties on baking sheet, and bake about 10 minutes on each side.

You can made dressing to the burger too if you want luxurious.
I bought the hamburger bread from the market and also the drink, very good taste.

Result
allrecipes.com...

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 03:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Air0x

Please use chickpea flour in place of egg. You can mix chickpea flour with water to make a paste.

You can also add some black pepper powder and reduce red chilli powder.

Very good recipe and thanks for sharing.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Flat-bread should be rolled thin, so that it cooks easily.

Thick bread will be raw inside.

You can try applying butter on one side while cooking. This will help cook the bread more evenly.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 05:32 AM
link   
I have during some time try to find a good replacement for egg but without good success, therefore I did tried yoghurt and did quite well. Going to try out chickpea flour next time if I can find it in the market

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   
A good replacement for eggs in baking/cooking is ground flaxseed. Mix 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed with 3 tablespoons water, place in refrigerator for 0 minutes, and it should be sufficiently thickened by that time. Combine with the batter/mix and cook/bake as usual.

As for cheese recipes, there are several in A rtisan Vegan Cheese by Miyoko Schinner and a few in the Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook by Joanne Stepaniak.

There is a recipe for Miyoko Schinner's Meltable Muenster recipe here for you to try if you'd like.

oddpenuing

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   

This sounds great. Thanks for the cheese recipes.

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Thank you penguin for the replacement tip. Is this something that always is possible as a replacement for eggs?

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join