It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top 10 reasons why people are moving to Texas

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Two important civil rights I treasure in Texas:

1. Manners and civility from Police.

Many will naysay it. But I've been pulled over in dozens of states. In Georgia, a policeman reached in and PULLED me out of my vehicle without so much as a $&#&#&-YOU! Same in Massachussetts.

In Texas, here's what you get on a speeding stop: "My name is officer so & so of the XYZ department, and the reason I've pulled you over is because ____________. May I please see your license and registration....

The reason for that is partly a raft of lawsuits after the popo were acting like total fascists. The other reason is that it is legal to carry a concealed handgun in your vehicle WITHOUT a permit if you are going more than 2 counties from your home, and it is secured in the glove box or out of plain view and easy reach. (check first, I'm not a lawyer). That, and 1 in ten cars HAS a gun, regardless of laws.

Reason number 2:

Texas is a debtor's haven.

If you own your house and declare it a homestead, it can never be seized from your except for non-payment of taxes. Any judgment against you for debt or liability or anything cannot touch your home. Even if you don't own a home, your personal effects cannot be seized, up to the value of $60,000 and two vehicles (if you own them outright).

I have a friend in PA who owed ~$30,000 in a judgment. The creditor seized his $200,000 home and auctioned it off at a huge loss, to get their 30k. They cut him a check for another $50k, and he had to find someplace else to live. He did--in TX.

The homestead law cuts your property tax in half, so that humans owning a home is always cheaper than a corporation owning the same property. And it isn't just the home itself, the homestead act was written before the civil war, and sounds like it. You get to keep your house, any buildings around it, and up to 5 acres in the city or 100 acres in the country, plus 50 chickens, 20 horses, 100 cows and like 25 mules. Note--- the bank can get your pigs. Something to remember.

But realistically, it is important because if someone falls on your front sidewalk, they cannot sue you and take your house.
edit on 1-6-2013 by tovenar because: Blue Bell, That's what I like about Tex-as

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   
If I decide to leave the Army, I'm moving to Texas.

My skills are extremely marketable in Texas and as such I can find a job that will pay me what I'm looking for. I have already made an effort to research what is being offered for a guy with my skill set. By the time I'm ready to leave the Army I will have an even broader skill set to offer and therefore can guarantee myself a bigger chunk of change.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by tovenar

Those are Great Laws. They should actually be instituted throughout the country.

That would definitely Eliminate Foreclosures. Which would help the Economy Immensely.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I'm surprised this hasn't came up yet. For me it would be considered a big bonus.

You know the power could be cut to either the east and/or west power grids and Texas would be ok?

Its because they have their own power grid!!

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Every other license plate I see on the highway is an out of state one. Texas is awesome, so I see the reason people are flocking here in droves, but the draw back is traffic. We have a horrible public transportation system here.

I would never leave texas if I didn't have to.

I wouldn't łeave because of political views. I love our views here, and other states are stupid. I love my gun collection. I love that I can afford a lot more here. I love mild winters, our own power grid, our local homegrown food, the beach, the desert, the rivers, lakes, history, colleges, football, the pine trees, whataburger, high speed limits, small towns, music, food, and mostly spirit.
edit on 1-6-2013 by fictitious because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest
People are leaving California in droves and moving to Texas in droves.

Obama may have won the presidency but it is pretty clear on what side America's values lay.

True, Cali may not have the jobs, but you couldn't convince me to leave Cali for Texas.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

What are some of the good things that Cali holds for you? I know it may be veering off topic; but I'm just wondering. I have a native texan friend who moved there and seems entirely happy. What do you think you'd miss most?

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Commenting from next door in Louisiana. Rick Perry has done a great job of getting companies to move to TX. Companies mean jobs. Generally lower taxes mean people have more money to put toward where they choose to put it.
Being from a fellow Oil state, we need to follow TX more closely. Things are a bit different here, but in the ways that matter, we need to be the same. Fight for oil royalties which are currently being overtly stolen from us by the feds.
Louisiana stands with TX!

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   
As a naturalized Texan, you left out one important reason. However, we need to see it as subliminal because it would hardly be a major reason. Yet it fits exactly with the "reasons" you have given.

There is a pride in the state of Texas that you will seldom find elsewhere. To be a Texan means something. It is the same feature that sets apart a US Marine from being the typical serviceperson of a soldier, airman or a sailor.

You don't have wear cowboy boots, or own a pickup truck, you simply have to be here to experience the atmosphere. That attitude may get us in trouble with the feds one of these days because we retain the right to withdraw from the states if we so decided. And that always remains a possibility in the minds of a true Texan. I wouldn't trade Texas for anything, well, maybe a large chunk of Alaska in the summer time or maybe a little piece of Hawaii in the winter.

edit on 2-6-2013 by Aliensun because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join