It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI/Judges make it too easy to obtain info on us from GOOGLE

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I'm sure most of everyone on here already knows that since 9/11 and the creation of the beloved "patriot act" that all of our personal info can be handed over to government agencies WITHOUT a warrant; much less even letting anyone, including a judge, know WHY the info is needed.

What I didn't know about was exactly how often personal info is sought after. Just the FBI alone in 2011 made 16,511 national security request letters to google asking for personal info on American citizens.

www.mercurynews.com...

If I were a judge I would probably lose my job here because I would not demand google hand over anything unless they gave the reason for the request and it had better be a damn good one. These days anything can fall into the category of national security, ANYTHING!!!!

How else is any of this ever going to change until we start electing people who won't go down so easily to what the govy wants them to do?

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Imightknow
I'm sure most of everyone on here already knows that since 9/11 and the creation of the beloved "patriot act" that all of our personal info can be handed over to government agencies WITHOUT a warrant; much less even letting anyone, including a judge, know WHY the info is needed.

What I didn't know about was exactly how often personal info is sought after. Just the FBI alone in 2011 made 16,511 national security request letters to google asking for personal info on American citizens.

www.mercurynews.com...

If I were a judge I would probably lose my job here because I would not demand google hand over anything unless they gave the reason for the request and it had better be a damn good one. These days anything can fall into the category of national security, ANYTHING!!!!

How else is any of this ever going to change until we start electing people who won't go down so easily to what the govy wants them to do?

Now I absolutely hate the Patriot Act and everyone who voted for it but say roughly 17,000 people out of 300 million will give you a percentage of what?

Do you really feel that they are overextending their searches?

C'mon

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Keep in mind this is just the FBI, doesn't include the DHS, CIA, NSA, DIA, and all the other pretty little 3 letter agencies that most people don't even know exist.

The point being that all they need to do is write a letter saying they want it, and then Google or anyone else holding that info can't say no. When big brother can do whatever they please more and more rights tend to get forgotten about.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Hopechest

Should numbers ever be the criteria we judge violation of our rights by? What number would be too many if not these thousands? I think principle is the only stick for measure. Is this right or isn't it? Should they be permitted to compel information about us from private business, by secret order and secrecy about even having been there?

This "Give us all you got ...but you never saw us...because we were never here..' stuff is getting entirely out of hand, IMO.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Keep in mind this is just the FBI, doesn't include the DHS, CIA, NSA, DIA, and all the other pretty little 3 letter agencies that most people don't even know exist.

The point being that all they need to do is write a letter saying they want it, and then Google or anyone else holding that info can't say no. When big brother can do whatever they please more and more rights tend to get forgotten about.

I am also very concerned about our rights but I also understand their point of view.

I watched the towers fall the same as everyone else here and was yelling the same thing, "kill the M****rf*****s".
We spoke as one voice and Bush and his people took that to the extreme.

We are all at fault. The last time the nation spoke like that was when they were asking for help during the Great Depression.

This is America. When we have a fly in our house we don't chase it around with a flyswatter. We move out of the house, condemn it, burn it down, nuke the lot, than bury it under a mile of dirt.

We overreact. That is why nobody really messes with us. Our culture is in your face John Wayne, Clint Eastwood style.

Sometimes this attitude has negative lingering effects which we are seeing now.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   

If a person has morals or some kind of principles, you have to oppose behavior thats unethical regardless of how many times the crime is committed.

"Well your honor, sure my client robs people, but in comparison to the entire US population, its hardly anyone"...

If spying is illegal for the average citizen, it has to therefore be illegal for the government, unless we live in some kind of a regime.

If the government thinks that a person may be a threat, present your evidence to a court, make your case and get a warrant.

But the government doesnt want any oversight, wonder why?

edit on 1-6-2013 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Imightknow

Oh, and screw google. Use start page.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   
take it, analyze it, wonder and be confused and wonder again. Ill make you end up saying, huh?

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   
It will always be easy to obtain information on us for any reason they see fit - Remember living in a country where questioning your governments rule label you "unamerican" and pretty much a terrorist in the eyes of the law will always come with a price. That being our freedom - as privacy is now something you only see in movies and tv.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by gladtobehere

Just checked it out, right on the page it says "enhanced by google". So now I'm a bit confused. I liked the idea when I first saw "the world's most private search engine", but what good does that do if it still uses google?

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   

If a person has morals or some kind of principles, you have to oppose behavior thats unethical regardless of how many times the crime is committed.

"Well your honor, sure my client robs people, but in comparison to the entire US population, its hardly anyone"...

If spying is illegal for the average citizen, it has to therefore be illegal for the government, unless we live in some kind of a regime.

If the government thinks that a person may be a threat, present your evidence to a court, make your case and get a warrant.

But the government doesnt want any oversight, wonder why?

edit on 1-6-2013 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

I tried and tried but I cannot find anything in you post to disagree with.

Good job

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Just checked it out, right on the page it says "enhanced by google". So now I'm a bit confused. I liked the idea when I first saw "the world's most private search engine", but what good does that do if it still uses google?

It's a 'proxy' for you. They perform the search queries on your behalf so all google sees is requests from their server.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 12:39 AM
link   
They probably do not see it as a privacy issue - in essence they are treating it like garbage picking (yes, it is gross to think about, and even more so to do).

*ahem* Anyways they probably posit that once you put something out there in the wilds of the interwebs, it's fair game and they can go "picking" for your leavings whenever they want.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Anything left in public has always been fair game for law enforcement with no warrant needed. Seeing as how the internet is considered public, as no one owns or controls it, the same rules apply. People post things on the internet without ever thinking twice about it being no different than posting it in the middle of Time Square on a billboard, only difference is less people would actually see it if you posted it in Time Square vs on the web.
edit on 6/2/2013 by EViLKoNCEPTz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by EViLKoNCEPTz

This is true, but there is a slight difference in intent. Posting something up on a billboard, you are expecting people to see what you put up there.

Sending off a request to Google is probably closer to setting out your trash - sure you put it out there but the intent is that the service will process and handle it discreetly.

The message is being sent that, no, it's treated the same (not that I ever expected anything sent over the internet to be secure).

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by KyrieEleison

You realize once your trash hits the curb it's considered public property and the police no longer need a warrant to rummage about in it. You should always consider anything you post online, anywhere, even private forums no different than hiring a flying message plane and having it flown all over the planet. The only electronic communications ever expected to be "private" are encrypted, anything else should always be considered as in the public domain.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   
The noose slowly tightens......
Just wait till someone in governments creates the "minority report" justice system.

Soon your thoughts will be used against you

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by EViLKoNCEPTz

Let's see...

Since I was the one to introduce the concept...

And I am a former LEO who has done many a "dirty pick"...

I understand it very well.

I was trying to make a point, and obviously I failed...

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I sense a round-up coming soon.

After all----Prisons are money making businesses$$$$$$ not designed to protect you from dangerous people.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   
We can be dam sure that if the FBI is really pushing to obtain all this info
by way of Google, one of the worlds largest search engines, that is would only be a matter of time till this site will hand over passwords and all ATS search info,.

It could be possible that every person on the forums for "survival" might get labeled
as some form of terrorist, kinda links in the the list of trigger words recently published.

Hmmm I wonder if Jimmy Buffet has room on his island for one more

top topics

<<   2 >>

join