It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Despicable: Cockroach Jesse Ventura suing wife of slain SEAL Chris Kyle

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by tsurfer2000h
Yet Jesse Ventura has never denied saying those things. His lawsuit comes from the fact he was punched and not that he said those things which caused him to get punched in the first place.

Ok I have to speak up on this one....

JV HAS denied ever being punched. He has denied ever saying anything like what is claimed. JV has actually claimed to not have been at the bar that evening or even in the State of California. His lawsuit is a defamation lawsuit, which means that someone is saying things about him that are untrue. It is not a lawsuit about "the fact he was punched". JV's exact words? "He never hit me, I don't even know who he is" and you can hear that quote in this interview around the 2:40 mark.

The suit is about this claim, which you will notice is admitted to being in the book, Kyle clearly says it was Jesse Ventura even though he is not named specifically in the book.

Also interesting to note- Chris Kyle says himself that JV is a Navy Seal. So even if you want to claim JV is lying about being a SEAL, this interview settles the point made that the SEALS consider JV one of their own.

Also it is stated that all proceeds from the book go to the families of the Navy Seals they were mourning so Chris Kyle wasn't doing this to gain personal profits but to help his fellow deceased Seal team members.

The above statement is a mixed bag for me. Kyle did not receive any royalties from the sale of the book. That much is true. That money went to the 2 families of SEALS that served with Kyle and died in a 2006 battle. The thing is, Kyle did get paid to write the book to begin with. So he did profit in that sense, he just did not receive royalties. However, that also does not mean that there is nothing to gain by promoting the book- which is possibly soon to be made into a movie, I will touch more on this point and why it is important later.

So this lawsuit is founded on a fallacy that Kyle was doing this book for personal gains in which it wasn't.

Well no. This lawsuit is founded on a statement made by Kyle in promotion of his book. Fact is, JV has every right to sue. If a person makes an untrue accusation about you on national television, and that claim some how damages your reputation, you have a right to be compensated. This is not a new idea, celebrities have been suing the media for a long time on this idea. Most notably in magazines. Some cases are won and some are tossed out of court. They key to these types of suits is being able to prove that the claim is causing damage to your reputation.

As an example, take the 2006 case of Britney Spears who sued US Weekly for publishing a story that her and her husband had made a sex tape. This case was thrown out by the judge who said, "the story wouldn't defame the pop star who was already highly sexualized in the media on her own doing." vs a case like Lark Voorhies (Lisa Turtle for you Saved by the Bell fans) who sued over a story that she was addicted to coc aine and actually lost out on other acting jobs because of the published rumor.

So JV has every right to sue, but that does not mean it will be successful. I personally do not feel he will be able to prove any real damage to his reputation, although if it is a libel suit and not a defamation suit he just may have a case.

Now I said I would get back to the point about this book becoming a movie. So here it is.... At the moment the suit is filed against the estate of Chris Kyle. At the time of his death proceeds for the book goes to the 2 families of SEALS he served with. Proceeds for a movie would not. Those proceeds potentially go to the Estate. I say potentially because at this point, no one actually knows. The Widow, as the Executor of the Estate, could donate that money or she could keep it. So at this moment there is a potential for profit, since Kyle made these claims on National TV as part of promotion of the book and soon to be movie- that means JV has a legit case against the future profits of the libelous accusation.

Last point: Jesse Ventura is not suing the Widow. He is suing the Estate of Chris Kyle. There is a difference. The only reason the article can get away with saying he is suing the Widow is because the Widow is the Executor of the Estate. His reasons for suing can be found on any article that is not offering it's own opinion like the one linked in the OP.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Witness2008

Why in the world would such a moral, upstanding hero brag about killing so many people?

He didn't write the book to brag about his kills.

In fact he downplays the number of people he killed so why write a book that brags about it?

In fact this would be his reason to write the book...

His brother was a marine and Kyle had spent so much of his time in Iraq providing protection for marines that he was particularly drawn to assisting veterans from the corps. “I kind of broke the code of silence when I came out and wrote the book,” he told me. “The only way I could justify it was the money going back to the family members of the guys I lost.

“It created a firestorm, but I’ve used it to stand on my platform and try to raise the awareness for the vets so they get taken better care of and our active duty members get the recognition. Instead of just saying thanks, I want people to show their thanks. They’ve got to step forward.”

www.realclearpolitics.com...

Sorry, but bragging wasn't the reason.

I linked an interview earlier maybe you should listen to what he had to say.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by deadeyedick
All proceeds of the book are going to veterans that jesse is a part of and to the family of a fallen hero. I don't see why he just don't let this go. Jesse's problem is that he has lost all faith in GOD and America. Chin up Jesse

And what about profit gained from the Movie? That is the point of renaming the defendant in the suit. Here are the words from JV's attorney from a less biased source than what is linked in the OP.

“Although Kyle is deceased, his ‘American Sniper’ book continues to sell and it is soon to be made into a movie,” said Ventura’s motion, filed last week by Minneapolis attorney David Bradley Olsen.

Ventura’s lawyers said his claims survive Kyle’s death, and “it would be unjust to permit the estate to continue to profit from Kyle’s wrongful conduct and to leave Governor Ventura without redress for ongoing damage to his reputation.”

Source- Star Tribune

Here are some other highlights for those too lazy to click the link, which also details parts of my previous post.

The suit was moving through court when Kyle was killed. He had brought a Marine reservist whom he was mentoring to a Texas firing range, where the young man shot and killed him.

Now the book could reach an even bigger audience. Blockbuster filmmaker Steven Spielberg announced this month that he would direct the movie version of “American Sniper.”

But the suit didn’t end. Soon after Taya Kyle filed legal documents this month confirming that she is executor of her husband’s estate, Ventura’s attorneys filed the motion to the suit under her name.

Notice the portion that says, the motion to file the suit to include the Widow did not take place until AFTER the legal documents were filed naming the Widow as the Executor of Chris Kyle's Estate.

As I said before, many of these cases are thrown out. Proving your reputation was actually damaged is not as easy to prove as it may sound, and the Lawyers from the Kyle Estate know this.

Kyle’s attorneys responded this week that there is no proof that Ventura has suffered “substantial and real damages” and that Ventura would better improve his public image “by taking the high road and declining to continue this lawsuit.”

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by MrWendal

The lawsuit or the injured soldiers money will not fix his image. He should just embrace it and work with her to see that many wounded benefit from this. The selfish pride will only continue to swallow Jesse.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by tsurfer2000h

From your source

“The moon, Earth and stars aligned,” he later wrote. “God blew on the bullet and I gut-shot the jackass.” On another occasion Kyle watched two insurgents on a moped drop an explosive device in a pothole. He waited until they were 150 yards away before firing. The single bullet went through the first and into the second, killing them both. “Two guys with one shot,” Kyle wrote. “The taxpayer got good bang for his buck on that one.” Read more: www.realclearpolitics.com... Follow us: @RCP_Articles on Twitter

Sounds like bragging to me. He shot a "jackass" that was defending his own country.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   

JV HAS denied ever being punched. He has denied ever saying anything like what is claimed. JV has actually claimed to not have been at the bar that evening or even in the State of California.

As I posted earlier there were witnesses to the event that are in fact active Navy Seals so that alone puts a big hiccup in his I wasn't there defense.

Eyewitness accounts

Debbie Lee, who lost her son, Navy SEAL Marc Lee, in Iraq, said the group was mournful and respectful. "It was not a belly-up-to-the-bar type of event," she wrote.

One of her son's SEAL teammates introduced her to Ventura, whom she found offensive. She said she heard him criticize the war and called President George Bush a jerk. Ventura could only talk about himself, she said. "He did not say he was sorry for my loss."

Bob Gassoff, the SEAL who introduced Lee to Ventura, said the former governor wore a beard braided into pony tails and a blue SEAL team hat. "He was badmouthing the war and President Bush. He was upsetting the families of deceased SEALs," Gassoff said.

Andrew Paul, a reservist Navy SEAL, said he notified Mansoor's family about his death and helped carry his body off the plane.

"I grew up watching [the movie] 'Predator' and professional wrestling. I thought it would be cool to meet 'The Body,'" he said.

But Ventura's behavior that night revolted him, Paul said. "He was saying the wrong things in the wrong place at the wrong time. In my opinion, he was being as anti-American as you can possibly get. Now, he would probably argue that he was being very American by challenging the government, but for a bunch of guys who had just laid their lives on the line for their country and who were at a wake for their fallen comrade, he's lucky the punch to the face is all he got."

Most of those swearing out declarations said they didn't see Kyle hit Ventura, but claim they saw the commotion and the aftermath as Kyle took off and Ventura clambered up from the ground with blood on his face.

Jeremiah Dinnell, an active-duty SEAL, was the exception.

"I heard Ventura say that we shouldn't be over in Iraq, doing what we were doing," he said. "And then he said that the SEALs deserved to lose some guys because of what we were doing.

"That's when Chris punched him. All of us wanted to. Chris was just the first one to pop him."

www.startribune.com...

Or are all of these people lying?

Eyewitness testimony is hard to beat.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   

As I said before, many of these cases are thrown out. Proving your reputation was actually damaged is not as easy to prove as it may sound, and the Lawyers from the Kyle Estate know this.

I think he did more damage to his reputation with Conspiracy Theory than anything Chris Kyle did with his book.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Well if Jesse Ventura didn't like the book from Chris Kyle what is he going to do when they make the movie...

Steven Spielberg's Next Movie: 'American Sniper' (Exclusive)

www.hollywoodreporter.com...

The big question is are they going to ask Mr. Ventura to do a cameo for the bar scene?

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Jessie Ventura is no trash. The man is as honorable as any brainwashed serviceman can possibly be. Its sad that you have to be in the service to even have an opinion these days, well according to all the right wingers that is.

And all these folks are quick to point a finger at social welfare as lazy and whatnot, while giving corporate welfare a free pass. I have debated numerous such folks on ATS the last few years. Hopefully the mods won't delete my post since they share this right wing bias.

BTW I like the military as an institution BUT its become extremely corrupted via republican ideals.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   

I think he did more damage to his reputation with Conspiracy Theory than anything Chris Kyle did with his book.

Whats wrong with conspiracy theory? Are you that naive to think "leaders" from the government and business world do not get together TO PLOT against the average citizens? What the hell do you think the bilderbergers are all about?

Conspiracy is not science fiction. It is the real world! Conspiracy is an extreme felony in the criminal justice system, no wonder the ptb are quick to downplay/ridicule such stuff. They can't afford bad publicity which will eventually incriminate them in crimes.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by EarthCitizen07

Whats wrong with conspiracy theory?

Did you watch the show?

edit on 1-6-2013 by tsurfer2000h because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by tsurfer2000h " this man was doing his job."

oh dear. that old chestnut

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by RoScoLaz

oh dear. that old chestnut

And you think he did that for his own joy?

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   

reply to post by EarthCitizen07

Whats wrong with conspiracy theory?

Did you watch the show?

edit on 1-6-2013 by tsurfer2000h because: (no reason given)

What show are you talking about? I have watched Fox News on several occassions and Jessie is the only person worth a dime on that network. Other than that I could care less about lawsuits and Chris Kyle. I don't like petty gossip.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010
He is suing the executor of the Sniper book. Just because Kyle is dead is no reason to drop the lawsuit. Money is still being made off of it and seeing how Kyle used the he punched Venture as a selling point of the book Jesse has every right to sue.

I must re-quote Buster2010 because I couldn't have said it any better! Get all the facts before you start seeing red and crying over something you obviously know absolutely nothing about. Just because some-one passes away doesn't mean their transgressions have. The wrongs they may have done...ect. ( My Mother is a perfect example in my life up until the day she died and beyond that. When someone hurts you deeply after death...it's worse, you can't get any answers why.)

You can touch so many lives whether dead or alive, whether positive or negative. The info that I have seen Jesse present IMO is researched to the finest from himself and his team. He's going after the same stories we are. And why are we? To save our America from the wolves. I, like you, like Jesse can get it wrong...I can't speak for you but if I get it wrong, I correct and learn by it.

Anyways....go buster!!!

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Well, if you ask me(i am aware you didnt but anyways)
BOTH these arseshoreses are hardly worth the comments.
The phoney sucker punch story,was a low blow to a man whos rep as a tough guy is part of his mistique on TV etc.
Perhaps jesse wants that piece of disinfo removed from the book...?
maybe he doesnt want any dough?
Why dont we write him and ask?

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
It must suck having a bias towards whoever had higher rank or prestige in the military.

Since I am not in any organization I can see from outside the box.

You guys are getting upset and taking sides on this based on the most fallacious reasoning known to man...group affiliation and hierarchy ranking.

Next time let's refrain from picking sides altogether and just judge things more rationally. It is just someone else's petty lawsuit stuff after all.

Great job calling this like it is. Typical knee-jerks, knee-jerking in the manner you would expect.

If I felt I'd been defamed and lied about I would possibly sue as well. That's how it goes. But I understand certain types of people are already heavily biased against someone like ventura because of his views. Combine that with bias due to "group affiliation and hierarchy ranking," as you say, and you get a veritable internet lynch mob ready to form.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   
As much I'd like to believe he punched Ventura, the evidence does not support it.

This was supposed to have happened in a bar frequented by SEALs and there were many of them there at the time. Yet not one SEAL has come forward to confirm Kyle's version. Edit; one guy came forward after the suit was filed, but he's the only one and he's also close to Kyle.

Ventura is a public figure, so his image is his livelihood. Can't say I blame him for pushing this, it could be a career ender.

Also, there have been a few people who say they were there and there was no punching, just Ventura acting like a big shot.
edit on 1-6-2013 by AGWskeptic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
What is the big deal??
Ventura is simply suing the estate of some murderer who slandered him.
If it is legal, go for it.
Kyle was a bad person anyway.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by NeoVain

Agreed.

I find that establishment types: police, military etc., really hate Ventura and I'm not sure why.

He served his country in the military. He was in UD, the precursor to the Seals. He was a Mayor, a Governor...

Instead of being a typical establishment lackey, he came out against the illegal wars, against torture. He even disclosed that the CIA is very much involved in domestic infiltration.

The guy is a true American hero.

Chris Kyle on the other hand (may he RIP), lied about Jesse in order to sell his book. Claiming that Jesse was "happy that Seals died". After which he claimed to KO Jesse... Just WOW.

If I were Jesse, I'd want the truth out as well simply because the lie was so despicable.

But I'm wondering if it doesnt make more sense to sue Kyle's estate?

edit on 1-6-2013 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join