It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm In Turkey: "Turkish Spring" Starting?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 11:21 PM
link   
They're chanting “unite against fascism”?

I'm sorry but they don't know what facism is until your government kills 6 million people of a certain race or group.

I'm not supporting the government or anything, Just saying my grandfather fought in ww2 and he knew what facism looked like.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Ancient Champion

When they say fascism they are actually talking about the lack of freedoms of the press and lack of freedoms for the minorities.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agent_USA_Supporter
reply to post by Ancient Champion

When they say fascism they are actually talking about the lack of freedoms of the press and lack of freedoms for the minorities.

It seems they have a very tight control over the media in Turkey. I had always believed they had a very open society and freedom of press. I guess I was wrong.

For the size and duration of this protest it is obvious they are controlling the media coverage. I sure hope the good people of Turkey really understand who they want to replace the current thugs with. Events like this have lead to leaders like Mao and Hitler taking power.
edit on 2-6-2013 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Very scary situation to find yourself in. So glad there is an ATS you can go to for information! It sounds like your guide and her organization are doing a good job keeping you safe. I cannot imagine the stress you must feel. Please stay safe and if you continue on I hope the rest of your trip goes like you would want it to.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 12:32 AM
link   
So much to report.

Electricity turned off in Istanbul last night for 4 hours.

Internet jammed but people and businesses are finding work around solutions.

Deaths-- no one is reporting.... Not even US press. I don't understand. There are pictures of the dead on line.

Izmir a mess this morning. A total mess. Fire in front of our hotel last night.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by MRuss

Cant say i am not surprised of the lack of reporting if this thing further spreads they have to report it. Can you take any pictures at the scene?
edit on 2-6-2013 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 02:07 AM
link   
That terrorist supporting scum Erdogan should resign.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Mahir Zeynalov is a Former LA Times correspondent bow writing articles for the Pro Turkish government news outlet todayszaman.

On his twitter he has attacked protests and the protesters as (Youth drinking beer on a weekend) simply ignoring the thousands of people who crossed the bridge to protest just yesterday.

Everyone should see his twitter Timeline its laughable.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Now it all makes sense.

It was turkey's turn to go down, next we will most surely see the balkan states or at least some of them namingly Bulgaria, Moldavia, Ukraine, Romania, Albania, Serbia. The IMF is now trying to impose austerity measures that will increase the prices of gas by up to 160% and higher taxes for industry meaning the destruction of industry in these countries which will most surely lead to a break down in society.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 06:44 AM
link   
This situation already has it's own Wikipedia page, but here's what concerns me about the first sentence on the page.

"2013 Taksim Gezi Park protests"

From 28 May 2013, protests have been held in Turkey. The initial Istanbul protests were led by environmentalists against replacing Taksim Gezi Park with a reconstruction of the historic Taksim Military Barracks (demolished in 1940), with the possibility of housing a shopping mall.

en.wikipedia.org...

When you hop on over to the Wikipedia page for the "Taksim Military Barracks"...

The Taksim Military Barracks or Halil Pasha Artillery Barracks (Turkish: Taksim Kışlası or Halil Paşa Topçu Kışlası) were located at the site of the present-day Taksim Gezi Park next to Taksim Square in Istanbul, Turkey.[1] It was built in 1806, during the reign (1789–1807) of the Ottoman Sultan Selim III.

On 16 September 2011, the assembly of the Beyoğlu Municipality enacted to rebuild the structure;[3] although the area falls within the purview of green space protection ordinances, development interests are exploiting statutes protecting historic structures in order to subjugate those protections; the rebuilt barracks is intended to be a shopping center. As of the time of the decision, no surviving portion of the barracks exist on site.

en.wikipedia.org...

Some of us have been joking for quite awhile that most of the Middle East wants to rebuild the Ottoman Empire, or at least create a new caliphate in which to control all the Muslim nations.

Why on earth would you recreate a military barracks to turn it into a shopping mall? Do you think there's a message being sent here? Do you think they were really planning to turn it into a shopping mall to begin with?

edit on 2-6-2013 by Deetermined because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 07:41 AM
link   
On our way to Troy.

We heard today there will be a meeting of protesters in the Square to share their demands of the government

Our guide hates the PM and is constantly sharing his atrocities.

A bank was set on fire last night in front of our hotel.

We're headed to Istanbul but doubt we can stay near the square as planned. I will take pictures for sure.

There have been 200 journalists imprisoned here over the years.

The TV news makes no mention of the river of blood or the protests.

A wealthy man on our tour appears to be part of the NWO... Long story. He thinks the press should be a puppet of the Gov.

He's an American.

This all feels otherworldly sometimes.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by MRuss
Deaths-- no one is reporting.... Not even US press. I don't understand. There are pictures of the dead on line.

I've seen deaths reported in the mainstream western media.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by MRuss
A wealthy man on our tour appears to be part of the NWO... Long story. He thinks the press should be a puppet of the Gov.

What do you mean by 'appears to be part of the NWO'? Why do you think that?

Does he carry an ID card saying 'I am a member of the NWO'?

Maybe he has a name badge which says 'Hi, I'm Barry! Talk to me about the NWO!'

Or did he call in a few black helicopters and say 'You guys stay here, I'm going to fetch the rest of the NWO'?

If he really was a member of the NWO, do you think it would be that obvious?
edit on 2/6/13 by Sankari because: typo...

edit on 2/6/13 by Sankari because: typo...

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sankari

Originally posted by asen_y2k
Sorry but I don't understand one thing, what are protesting over? They want a more secular Turkey or a more Islamic one? Or are they protesting over some trees?
Hoping someone can fill me in )

It started with a protest against a shopping mall development. Now it appears to have been hijacked by a bunch of other people.

I have a friend over in Turkey, and she said that they were going to bulldoze a park of similar importance to Central Park in New York in order to make a shopping mall. This is a big issue. It represents more than destroying an extremely important park to build a mall. It represents capitalism over the well-being of the citizens in Turkey.

My friend said that the president over in Turkey is not popular. I guess you could call it hijacking the protests, but this is starting to get more and more common. My guess is that fairly soon we will have personal experiences over here with either finding people in power making it hard for us to get ahead in life, or protests on our own doorstep.

It seems like this issue is kind of far away and hard to grasp, but in this particular instance, I personally believe that it is going to spread farther through Europe and eventually over to the U.S. -

Things have been relatively stable in Europe and the U.S. for a long time, but that doesn't mean we are immune to this. It might shock us more here because we haven't seen it before.
edit on 2-6-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by MRuss

Thanks for the report from the scene, send pictures and keep it up.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ancient Champion
I'm sorry but they don't know what facism is until your government kills 6 million people of a certain race or group.

Is this your "red line"? Let's just look at at the definition(s) of facism.

a. A system of government marked by centralization of authority under a dictator, stringent socioeconomic controls, suppression of the opposition through terror and censorship, and typically a policy of belligerent nationalism and racism.

b. A political philosophy or movement based on or advocating such a system of government.

Sounds like most western-centric governments to me. Note, nowhere in those definitions does it state you must murder 6 million minorities first.

Oh, and just because you elect a leader doesn't mean you are not under a dictatorship. It simply means your elected leader, no matter who they might be, is dictated to by outside parties, and you in turn are under their dictatorship. So please don't try and say they elected their leader therefor they cannot be under a dictatorship.
edit on 2-6-2013 by threewisemonkeys because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by MRuss

I bet it does feel otherworldly.

Stay safe!
sounds like you are in good hands,
or as best as can be!

Careful with your pictures too, don't get into trouble.
Your safety is not worth pictures.
But you seem really smart and I have confidence in your judgement.

I just keep pushing caution because you need it.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Muslims being violent...anything new? Get in line behind Syria.

Everyone Move on...everyone ignore it.The world has learned it's lesson in Libya and Egypt.
edit on 2-6-2013 by Blahable because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blahable
Muslims being violent...anything new? Get in line behind Syria.

Everyone Move on...everyone ignore it.The world has learned it's lesson in Libya and Egypt.
edit on 2-6-2013 by Blahable because: (no reason given)

The most stupid comment I've read in this thread..
edit on 2-6-2013 by Hellas because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by MRuss

I've observed in your posts that you appear to have a lot of maturity and good judgment.

Therefore your comment about the NWO bloke is likely quite accurate. The comment in thread afterward strikes me as exceedingly cheeky; not very perceptive or discerning . . . and not well thought-out at all. I suspect that your assessment is 100% accurate.

You might ask that bloke how long he thinks it will be before the PTB schedule WW3. And how long before the total economic crash? But only if you think it's safe to ask him those questions.

I do think you might give some thought to being very safe with the pics. I don't know how easy it would be to hide an extra chip of pics--perhaps in aluminum foil and that hidden in some innocent little metal case of some sort. I succeeded with a film can from a very dangerous situation but I think someone else shared part of the risk along the way. And, I didn't ever publish any of the pics. It might be wiser for you to have someone else post the pics who was not in-country--and that only after you left--with the pics chosen so it would be difficult to track them back to you.

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join