It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm In Turkey: "Turkish Spring" Starting?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Interesting night...

Fires are being lit on the streets of Izmir. Protests have been going on all day--on and off. No real police presence since this morning--since the head of Turkey recalled all of the police.

I'm reading that the US spoke out against the police revolt. There are demonstrations in Italy and Boston, etc.

Nurses in Istanbul hospitals say that there are dead being brought to hospital, but that none of the press world-wide are reporting it.

Protests have mainly moved to Ankara.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by MRuss

Thanks for the update!

I get kinda worried when I see ATS'ers inplaces where there is trouble, but glad you are doing ok.

How long do you plan on being there in Turkey?
edit on 1-6-2013 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Picture from twitter.

The Turkish Government is whitewashing the protests across Turkey even by its selected hand picked journalists.
edit on 1-6-2013 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Sirens, tear gas explosions in Izmir. Mostly sirens. Leaving Izmir very early in the morning and heading to Bursa, which is out of the fray.

Due in Istanbul on Monday, but we'll see how it goes.

It all depends on what the protesters do. Some say this will be over by Monday when everyone has to go back to work.

What is the consensus on whether this will happen---be over by Monday?

Is this a true Turkish Spring?

I hear things are horrible in Ankara....the seat of the government.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   
It sounds like gun shots or firecrackers outside. It is after eleven at night..very loud outside..no longer peaceful.. crazy fighting under our hotel.

Does tear gas sound like gun shots?

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Be safe, and for those interested; you can watch the protest on RT.

Its a beautiful sight
rt.com...

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   
It seems there are few live feeds left even the Halktv Canlı cam, Ironical on the Halktv Canlı live feed it showed that the Government has being spreading its own TV Ad urging its supporters to show up. By making an direct phone call to get a free T Shirt.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I'd get the heck out of there, and quick! Who knows how the events might spin.

MRuss, did any members of your group expressed the will to return to US (or to safer grounds at least, like Bulgaria or Greece) sooner than planned?

According to breakingnews.com (I'm a fan too), protesters in Istanbul are now on their way to the PM's office, and only some 200m away.

Stay safe!

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by MRuss

Am I the only one noticing that all these Arab Spring Revolutions are putting radical religious muslim groups in power? They seem to be manipulating a freedom seeking populace to their own nefarious ends.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by pirhanna

We shall see even though the current Turkish government has being trying to install the MB in Syria.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer
reply to post by Sankari

Thank you for you reply..

What is foolish about.. I have been to G8 protests, Reclaim the Street Protests, May Day Protests, Occupy Protests and Tree Protests. Many times they get messy and the riot police are called in. There are many that turn up from different countries to help..

If you think it is better to stay in your hotel room then so be it.. I guess thats just a difference between you and me...

Whilst I understand where you're coming from - I have to agree with several users. The OP's job description is to protect his charges, not to get involved in protests or violence that has nothing to do with him. He is in charge of a group - he is not a revolutionary; merely a tourist group leader. Indeed, if he were to get involved and things don't quite go the way the populace wishes, he could be imprisoned and harmed or worse.

So, I echo the calls of many to stay safe (but informed), OP!

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by MRuss

Posted these in my thread, but OP, do not go outside, what you are hearing this likely this:

and I don't know any details of this, but stay inside:

occupygezipics.tumblr.com...
edit on 1-6-2013 by MidnightTide because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by MRuss

Tear gas will sound similar to a gun shot if it's being used in a 40mm launcher, otherwise its a pop and hiss when the lever releases from hand tossed canisters. Most likely you're hearing a mix of 40mm tear gas and fireworks, gunshots and anything else being used on both sides.

As for your situation, I would advise finding the safest route to a less chaotic area then contacting the embassy or consulate closest to you and asking about the safest way out of the country before they close the airports and lock down travel. You don't want to be trapped in a foreign country and you most definitely do not want to end up in a Turkish prison, they treat foreigners 1000x worse than locals.

Stay safe and stay way out of the way.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Any updates? has the internet being cut? i am not seeing any Turkish users tweeting or posting.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

Internet appears to still be active, most likely they are jamming wireless signals so mobile broadband and WiFi will be down. I would venture a guess there's not a lot of hardline internet access at the protests or in hotels which is why we aren't hearing much right now.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   
They are jamming the signals here on and off for the past few days, yes.

Last night, there were sirens, tear gas, fireworks, and protesting all night. It is almost 6:00 in the morning here and it is still going on.

We are supposed to head to Istanbul today. Is that where most of the unrest is right now or is it mostly in Ankara? I tried to get a little sleep last night and am behind in my news gathering.

It will take two days to get to Istanbul our tour bus, as we make stops to see ancient ruins along the way. I suppose I will hear from the guide this morning about our status. Her company is keeping us informed and making good decisions for us along the way on an hour to hour basis. We are due to fly out of Istanbul on Saturday, but depending on the escalation of things, we may fly out of somewhere else and not go to Istanbul at all.

Pictures of blood spilling and other atrocities are unsettling. Izmir is noisy and somewhat out of control, but I don't think this is protest central as of yet. The protesting is contained to certain areas of the city and doesn't appear to be widespread or particularly dangerous.

Off to research. Thanks for keeping me informed.

I'll keep you posted.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by pirhanna
reply to post by MRuss

Am I the only one noticing that all these Arab Spring Revolutions are putting radical religious muslim groups in power? They seem to be manipulating a freedom seeking populace to their own nefarious ends.

This is not the case in Turkey. The 'moderate' Islamist are already in power. They have been slowly reverting Turkey back to an Islamic state. They pay lip service to Attaturk but in reality they hate him.

One only needs to research the AKP Parties links to the very controversial Fethullah Gülen. Ironlically, he has been living in exile in the United States for over twenty years. He is sponsored by the CIA.

His 'Gulen moverment has been crucial to the US's strategy for Central Asia. The vaccum that was left when the Soviet Union collapsed has been filled by the Turkmen, with the help of the CIA. This is dangerous. Why? Because the Gulen moverment have their own agenda - a neo Ottoman Empire.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by MRuss

Are the Turkish people surprised by the lack of no news media coverage?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join