It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm In Turkey: "Turkish Spring" Starting?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sankari
I guess the Turks really care about their public parks.

Still no evidence of multiple fatalities. That's good to know.
edit on 1/6/13 by Sankari because: typo...

Everyone who thinks that this protests are about some trees in a park is either very naive or very ignorant of what's going on in the region. The actual Turkish government is making drastic changes in the Turkish way of life. Slowly but surely they're slipping the country into an Islamic Republic and the last laws about prohibiting alcohol, banning kissing on public places, banning make up on the Turkish Airline stewardesses etc are enraging the progressive part of Turkish society. This country has always had a secular form of government but the actual Erdogan's government is making some serious changes which go against the image Turkey has in the world as a country where both cultures, that European and Asian can coexist. Don't also forget that Turkey is a NATO country. No one will tolerate an Islamic country in this alliance. Whoever makes the decisions globally cannot tolerate that as it cannot tolerate the fact that recently Turkey was getting closer to Russia. Thus the gift of TURKISH SPRING!!!
edit on 1-6-2013 by Telos because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by MRuss
Leading a group here.

What group are you leading?

What are you protesting about?

What do you want the government to do about it?

What do you hope to achieve?

More than you, apparently.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheAnarchist

Originally posted by MRuss
Leading a group here.

What group are you leading?

What are you protesting about?

What do you want the government to do about it?

What do you hope to achieve?

More than you, apparently.

That wouldn't be difficult: I'm not trying to achieve anything in Istanbul.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

I'm not sure I can get through to you.

We are not here to sip drinks on a beach. We are here to see ancient ruins. This is an educated and well-traveled group.

I am not sending them out to protest.

Period.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by TheAnarchist

Photo blogs as it happens:

occupygezipics.tumblr.com...

m.9gag.com...=

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Telos
Everyone who thinks that this protests are about some trees in a park is either very naive or very ignorant of what's going on in the region.

The protest began with the park situation. The protesters said this themselves. Other issues have since been added to their agenda.

The actual Turkish government is making drastic changes in the Turkish way of life. Slowly but surely they're slipping the country into an Islamic Republic and the last laws about prohibiting alcohol, banning kissing on public places, banning make up on the Turkish Airline stewardesses etc are enraging the progressive part of Turkish society.

I mentioned these issues in my post here.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Sankari

What a constant dismissive attitude you have no matter the thread topic. Speaks volumes of character.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Looks like the TPTB put up music on the live feed of the country-wide protests. No more natural sound.

www.livestream.com...

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Russia Today is reporting that Riot Police are withdrawing from the square while protesters remain. Pulling out or just getting out of the way? Tahrir Square or Tienanmen Square? I certainly hope the former, if anything.

Protests in Istanbul and Ankara continue into the second day. On Friday, Turkish police fired teargas and water cannon at people protesting government plans to uproot trees in an Istanbul park, igniting a furious protest that turned into an anti-government demonstration which spread to other cities.
Source

Istanbul riot police withdrawing from Taksim square, protesters remain - state-run news agency

* Here is a story with more detail as this develops. Interesting that they're withdrawing with nothing resolved and everyone still in place, on the street.

Reports: Turkish police withdraw from Istanbul square, allow thousands of protesters in
edit on 1-6-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   
This is not that unusual in Turkey. Things have been quite for awhile but, normaly the people get upset that Gov is going to far in one direction and protest then the military steps in and removes the Gov for new elections. The West gets upset at the idea of the military taking out an elected Gov but, once new elections are held they tend to forget about it.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrSpad
The West gets upset at the idea of the military taking out an elected Gov but, once new elections are held they tend to forget about it.

Unless they don't like said elected government, in which case they'd fund and arm them and hope their stooge gets elected. Then they forget about it.

Didn't Turkish officials bust some Syrian rebels with a 2kg canister of Sarin gas the other day? And then this.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Telos

I guess the Turks really care about their public parks.

Still no evidence of multiple fatalities. That's good to know.
edit on 1/6/13 by Sankari because: typo...

Everyone who thinks that this protests are about some trees in a park is either very naive or very ignorant of what's going on in the region. The actual Turkish government is making drastic changes in the Turkish way of life. Slowly but surely they're slipping the country into an Islamic Republic and the last laws about prohibiting alcohol, banning kissing on public places, banning make up on the Turkish Airline stewardesses etc are enraging the progressive part of Turkish society. This country has always had a secular form of government but the actual Erdogan's government is making some serious changes which go against the image Turkey has in the world as a country where both cultures, that European and Asian can coexist. Don't also forget that Turkey is a NATO country. No one will tolerate an Islamic country in this alliance. Whoever makes the decisions globally cannot tolerate that as it cannot tolerate the fact that recently Turkey was getting closer to Russia. Thus the gift of TURKISH SPRING!!!
edit on 1-6-2013 by Telos because: (no reason given)

Funny how some are so dead set to not admitting that the fact that Turkey is becoming an Islamic Republic and that the people in urban areas are against this.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by MRuss

I wouldn't send them out either, keep them away from harm. Who knows what is going to happen, and I know I wouldn't want to be responsible if anyone got injured / killed by involving yourself in Turkish matters.

Contact the American Embassy and ask them what you should do.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by MrSpad

I don;t know about that. Our Turkish guide who is very knowledgeable thinks this is the "Turkish Spring.." It's bit more serious than you think. Watch the live feed.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Yes ,people have been killed by the police. I am getting reports from friends in Turkey, one of them works at a hospital in Istanbul.

You have all those people peacefully protesting, and this is how their already corrupt government treats them for having a voice. As usual, money comes before humans.

So when we look at Turkey vs Syria, and there are more people in Turkey that could act against the government, are we, or will we see a 'revolution' by the Turks? NO!

WHY?! Because the FSA in Turkey are not part of any revolution, they are just terrorists paid to remove the government. Big difference.

Even though Turkey has more people against their government right now, we will not see a Syria/Libya situation because the USA & co are not behind anything in Turkey, and all those Turkish civilians wont be starting a similar revolution because they do not have countries like the USA behind them, so they don't have all the shiny new weapons, unlimited bullets etc, etc, and the average civilian will not fight in the way the FSA in Syria do, because the FSA are not part of the general population, most have been put there specifically to overturn the government.

So this is why, when you hear that there is a civil war/revolution, you know that it's not a genuine revolution by the people, because normal citizen wont take on their government, and normal citizens do not have the resources. This highlights that any kind of revolution is outside influences funding rogue terrorists.

I hope Turkey can regain some normality soon, and it just goes to show that all governments are not there for the people...

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   
MRUSS
Thank you muchly for the OP....
I agree, take care of your people and do the job the right way.
Getting a bunch of your charges hurt ot worse is unthinkable....sheeesh!
If the conection stays good, or you get moved to another location please keep us in the loop.....
There are so few honest sources....
From what i understand this is a country wide situation.So best stay put till the smoke clears....
damn i wish i was with you......its not every day one gets to live in the turmoil which makes history....
I doubt you are in much danger though as the Turks are pro western culture and they are friendly warm people....

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by asen_y2k
Sorry but I don't understand one thing, what are protesting over? They want a more secular Turkey or a more Islamic one? Or are they protesting over some trees?
Hoping someone can fill me in )

It started with a protest against a shopping mall development. Now it appears to have been hijacked by a bunch of other people.

Clearer your backing the Turkish Government. His days are numbered. By the way here's what your erdogan none Islamist said about Bosnia.

Erdoğan calls on Bosnian families to have five children

Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has warned that population growth in Bosnia and Herzegovina is very slow and has delivered a message to Bosnian families that they should be having at least five children, during a visit to the country's capital of Sarajevo.

edit on 1-6-2013 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Sankari

Thank you for you reply..

What is foolish about.. I have been to G8 protests, Reclaim the Street Protests, May Day Protests, Occupy Protests and Tree Protests. Many times they get messy and the riot police are called in. There are many that turn up from different countries to help..

If you think it is better to stay in your hotel room then so be it.. I guess thats just a difference between you and me...

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

Difference is your protesting is your choice.

The OP is doing his job, he shouldn't be leading people under his care into a dangerous situation.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join