It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do You Feel You Live in a Police State?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by bartholomeo
Do you feel that your country is becoming more and more restrictive?

Do you feel it's like a Tyranny where you live?

Ofcourse the younger generation won't know the difference because this is the world they know, and a free world is probably out of their imagination.

If you do, please tell us why.

No, a police state is a physical form of control.

Our society is controlled through more covert means, we are given physical freedom and 'democracy', but ultimately we are still controlled through the media, education etc.

At some stage, the elite realised it is easier to control the masses if they think they are 'free'.

Whether this is maintained, I don't know, the future world government will most likely be a combination of current western society combined with the 'best aspects' (depending on your POV) of police state style control (Communism).

The past 100 years have been an experiment in how best to control humanity.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by elouina

Glad to know that the majority of comments don't reflect the doom and gloom scenario that we tend to watch or hear on the news.

I choose to live in a city that is not too populated since a bigger population=crime it comes with the territory. I like to wake up in the morning in trousers, boxers, get some coffee, and go outside and sit on my reclincer put some music on, without being worried that somebody may complain about the loud music, or the fact that I'm almost nude, I rarely see any cops around, that's the why.

Can you explain what fracking has to do in this thread?

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Wonderer2012

That's very true, the TPB have been experimenting to control the masses with wars, epidemics, economic slavery (credit), religions, police state, and so far the ones that have worked out the best for them are technology, entertainment and media.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Actually I live in a perpetual state of confusion.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   
They have learned their lessons of the past - why implement some massive physical push to tyranny when you can simply slowly progress into a Police State. Just as some have said, "They haven't bothered me" so nothing is wrong. HA - guess that tune will change when they come knocking on your door but by then it will be too late.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

We have enough of people with that attitude in our country already. I will stand with you at the border.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by paraphi

That's quite an assumption you're making. Some of us do travel you know. Personally lived in 3 EU countries and in Asia. Visited many more. Two of the countries I lived in could be considered dictatorial. I know what a police state looks like, first hand.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 03:56 AM
link   
All states are police states. You can't have a state without the police. What we're seeing is the natural progression of government; incrementally growing more and more overt in protecting established social control mechanisms. That's the state's job. They'll get better at it every day until the whole system reaches the breaking point and collapses, at which time (if history can be trusted) the cycle will start over again.

The only way the cycle will stop is if we replace failed systems with no systems at all. Economics, religion, agriculture, statism--harmful ideologies inextricably linked to one another, working in a chorus of oppression.
edit on 6/2/13 by NthOther because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I live in NJ, so yes... I do feel like it's a bit of a police state. I think everyone around here pretty much has an overall state of paranoia that they may be doing something wrong without even knowing it. It's impossible to keep up with all the rules, regulations, and other things you could be fined for around here.

Police around here bug there eyes out you, and you definitely feel the disdain. I don't know if it's like that everywhere... But it's all I know.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I think Americans will let their government take almost all of their rights just as long as they can get to own a gun. Its its the one thing that gives them a false sense of power and makes them think they are still in control.

All the American government has to do is threaten to take away the guns for a while, let the people bitch and moan about it, then let them think they have beat them on the issue and then they can take more of their other more important rights away.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wonderer2012

Do you feel that your country is becoming more and more restrictive?

Do you feel it's like a Tyranny where you live?

Ofcourse the younger generation won't know the difference because this is the world they know, and a free world is probably out of their imagination.

If you do, please tell us why.

No, a police state is a physical form of control.

Our society is controlled through more covert means, we are given physical freedom and 'democracy', but ultimately we are still controlled through the media, education etc.

At some stage, the elite realised it is easier to control the masses if they think they are 'free'.

Whether this is maintained, I don't know, the future world government will most likely be a combination of current western society combined with the 'best aspects' (depending on your POV) of police state style control (Communism).

The past 100 years have been an experiment in how best to control humanity.

Finally. Someone who gets it. I think you put it as succinctly as anyone really can. To explain it any better would require a lot of words that most people probably wouldn't read anyhow. A police state is not necessarily a place where cops swarm and march in the streets. It's more of a state of mind.

Anyone who wishes to build a lasting police state isn't going to build an overt police state. That's been tried and it always fails. They're not doing it out of boredom and they don't want to fail. They'll keep trying and someday, they'll get it down to an art. The gilded cage is the best kind.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
If it is a tyranny, it is because WE THE PEOPLE have allowed it to become one. As far as where I live, I have my gripes but I don't feel my freedom is being restricted-YET.

WE THE People have done nothing to allow it.
How did we the people allow politicians to be bought and paid for?

The Poor and Middle Class have no money to buy politicians and no hope for that matter, short of a violent revolution.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by jacobe001

The Poor and Middle Class have no money to buy politicians and no hope for that matter

Even if they did it would likely still end up in tyranny. Everybody has their own ideas about what's right and what's fair and what's just. People tend to just want to force their views on everyone else. There aren't really that many people who just want to be left alone as much as possible. Most people want to butt into someone else's life in some way or another.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 12:19 AM
link   

reply to post by elouina

Can you explain what fracking has to do in this thread?

Oh it was just a side note. You know a community is good when it looks out for its residents best interests vs big companies. There is some big stash of fracking tax money that gets distributed also, but our community doesn't get any. Which is fine by me and I guess everyone else. You can tell how a police department is ran by looking at the government that hires it. I like to consider ours somewhat wholesome. The mayor used to live across the street and he is a really honest and good person. Our borough building is also where the police are. Sorry to ramble on, but I really like where I live and how it is ran. Best snow removal in the country I am certain! There will be a foot of snow everywhere else, I get to my borough and it is black top!

Anyways, there is no police state here. My daughter used to get happy and run over to our police when she saw them. The police visit the schools a lot for the dare program. Every local event they set up a dare table and staffed it. If the police walk around at an event, it was just for traffic control and socializing.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD
I think Americans will let their government take almost all of their rights just as long as they can get to own a gun. Its its the one thing that gives them a false sense of power and makes them think they are still in control.

Disagree. Guns can (and will) be taken away as well. And no one will care. I doubt there will ever be mass seizures. That isn't how this group operates. Guns will be phased out until there are few (if any) people left who have any desire to own a gun. They'll use time and propaganda to make people feel safe and secure. To make people trust their government and the police to protect them. They'll demonize guns and those who own them. They'll pound the issue into the ground on the news, in TV shows, comic books, video games, music (I know these things have all been violent but that will change when they decide to go to the next phase))

All the American government has to do is threaten to take away the guns for a while, let the people bitch and moan about it, then let them think they have beat them on the issue and then they can take more of their other more important rights away.

Well, actually, I think you're partially right. I think it was mostly a ploy to make gun owners feel like their gun rights are safe (which they will not be over the long term). They wanted to make people feel like protest can make a difference. And also, they wanted to reenforce the belief that if a serious attempt to ban guns ever comes, it will come all at once.

They know that this was a critical mistake made by attempted police states in the past. They were too overt and too obvious. They tried to move too fast and too many people caught on too quick.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join