It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rough evening shaping up for Oklahoma, Moore and points NE - Tornado Emergency Declared

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Any report on casualties?

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

Here is the link to the Breakingnews.com feed area that is specific to the tornado outbreak. The headlines running now are saying area Hospitals have 98 injured and 4 critical as rough totals.

The image is from this morning and someone's twitter feed, carrying over breakingnews. It's of an area near El Reno, apparently.

* The latest headline and tweet update out of NBC News is 104 injured from Hospital totals now. I'm not going to give a running total on such a number, but thought I'd add this update to indicate it's a fluid situation and still changing. The 98 figure was over 50 minutes ago and the 104 is 15 minutes ago. So...a lot is being figured out as morning comes.

I've heard nothing of a major casualty event though. Nothing like Moore and the school, Thank God. I only hope the lack of word means nothing to report. Surely, word of something big would have been heard by now.
edit on 1-6-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

* One more update on this post. This is an image, also from El Reno and this morning. Ever wonder what happens to wind turbine blades in a Tornado? Well.......

Now you know. A Daycare center, apparently. No one was inside, given the late hour of course. So no injuries, which is what makes it worth a share for the 'You have to see it to believe it', category.
edit on 1-6-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

THANK YOU

I live in what is basically hurricane central so I can attest that everything material can be replaced but the loss of life is so very tragic..

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by stirling
Take refuge under an overpass up near the place where the conrete abutment holds up the bridge stringers
its like a little bomb shelter there.....
Cars/ trucks are toys to these winds....better to not get caught in them......

Physics has shown that to be totally incorrect....it acts like a funnel and makes the wind more intense under an overpass.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   
WOW, It was one heck of a Loud night, Lightning was unbelievable. Still unable to clean up the 8 trees that were blown down, due to the ground being saturated with water. Cant get any trucks in there. The storms just keep coming in western Arkansas

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Anyone heard from Springer? And are the tornadoes still on the move? I'm on a computer now (my apologies to the mods from the alerts that I sent by accident, my touch screen phone is very...well, touchy
) so I should be able to view any live feeds, broadcasts, scanners, etc.

I hope everyone in the Kansas area is okay. I've heard it said that no news is good news, but you never know...

edit on 1-6-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Glassbender777

Glad to hear you are ok Glassbender! I was wondering how you were doing after our last round last week. Good to see ya

We just got our power back about an hour ago. It went out around 1 am last night.... right as they were tracking a tornado for a direct hit to us. Mr. Dokie and I fumbled around in the darkness to get a flashlight, then on into our babies to pull them from their beds and load them up into the hall closet. It is only the 2nd time we have had to do that since moving to this part of the state. It was a pretty scary situation, but all is good now. Time to celebrate my baby girl's 4th birthday today!

~OkieDokie

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by OkieDokie

Hall closet? Doesn't sound like a very good hiding place in a tornado.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

It's actually one of the best options if you don't have an in-ground shelter. Most folks go to a bathroom or closet. The idea is to put as many walls between you and the outside of your house. Hall closets have been saving lives for a very long time here in Ok.

In our situation, our bathroom has one wall that is an outside wall. Our closet is in the central part of our house and has no walls that are external so it is the best option. We are actually in the process of building a storm shelter in our back yard, but we haven't gotten the roof on it yet. It is partially in-ground and built into the side of a hill so it will be our go-to place once we get it completed in the next couple of weeks.

~OkieDokie

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   

I was thinking of all those houses that got shredded by the tornado that passed through a week or so ago. I didn't see any closets left standing. Being in the middle of a house that's about to get the pinata treatment doesn't sound like a very good idea.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Patriotsrevenge

You should NEVER try to out run a tornado. If you're in a 4x4, then even more so, higher vehicles stand a better chance of being flipped over by the 200+mph winds.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack

Originally posted by stirling
Take refuge under an overpass up near the place where the conrete abutment holds up the bridge stringers
its like a little bomb shelter there.....
Cars/ trucks are toys to these winds....better to not get caught in them......

Physics has shown that to be totally incorrect....it acts like a funnel and makes the wind more intense under an overpass.

I've been told the same thing. I heard Gary England (KWTV 9 meteorologist) say, on the air during the Moore storm, to not seek shelter under an overpass. He didn't elaborate on why but what you said does make sense. Many overpasses don't have a void at the junction of the top road also...if they did, then I suppose that would be a great place to be...but I don't think many have. Most of the overpasses I travel through do not. I've looked lol

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity

I was thinking of all those houses that got shredded by the tornado that passed through a week or so ago. I didn't see any closets left standing. Being in the middle of a house that's about to get the pinata treatment doesn't sound like a very good idea.

You make do with what you have and pray it isn't an F-5. Our tornado plan, assuming we can't get to our per-determened shelter a mile and a half away, is for my wife to cuddle our 3 year old in the fetal position, with me on top in our hall closet. Of course that's after I grab and fling everything in there out in the hall lol

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 02:41 AM
link   
R.I.P. Twistex, Carl Young, Tim Samaras and Paul Samaras

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dumbass
R.I.P. Twistex, Carl Young, Tim Samaras and Paul Samaras

WHAT????????!!!! OMG... just found out.. VERY sad.. and they were pros, and respected the storms.
so sad.. Rest in peace fellows.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Aye, very sad news about Tim, Paul and Carl
They just got caught out in a very bad place at exactly the wrong time.

But we should remember that people like Tim have undoubtedly saved many hundreds of lives over the years, not just through the early warnings that chasers are able to provide but through the very serious research into tornadoes that they also carry out. They weren't glory hunters or thrill-seekers. They were heros.

Fly now, free
edit on 2-6-2013 by AndyMayhew because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by AndyMayhew

Yes, very sad news and my condolences to the families of the TWISTEX team. If you would have told me a month ago one of those Discovery Channel storm teams would meet their demise, the TWISTEX team would have been my last guess. It seemed to me they were the most respectful of the storms and didn't take any unnecessary chances. Reed Timmer on the other hand.....but that's for another discussion. This is sad news indeed.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   

3 veteran storm chasers killed by Oklahoma tornado

Jun. 2

EL RENO, Okla. (AP) — Three veteran storm chasers were among the 10 people killed when a violent tornado barreled into the Oklahoma City metro area.

The national Storm Prediction Center in Norman, Okla., said the men were involved in tornado research.

bigstory.ap.org...

edit on 2-6-2013 by MariaLida because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   
ATS radio was talking about tornadoes and topography.

One reason why the region is so prone to these storms.

A dry line (also called dew point line, or Marfa front) is an imaginary line across a continent that separates moist air from an eastern body of water and dry desert air from the west. One of the most prominent examples of such a separation occurs in central North America, especially Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas, where the moist air from the Gulf of Mexico meets dry air from the desert south-western states. The dry line is an important factor in severe weather frequency in the Great Plains of North America. It typically lies north-south across the High Plains states in the warm sector of an extratropical cyclone and stretches into the Canadian Prairies during the spring and early summer.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   

National Weather Service upgrades El Reno, Okla., tornado to an EF-5 with width of 2.6 miles; widest tornado ever documented - @kfor

twitter.com...

UPDATE: El Reno, Union City tornado widest tornado on record

The National Weather Service has just upgraded the May 31 El Reno, Union City tornado to an EF-5 with a width of 2.6 miles wide, making it the widest tornado ever documented. EF-5 is the highest possible rating for tornadoes on the Enhanced Fujita scale. The upgrade was based on information from a Dopler On Wheels (DOW) that measured low level winds of 296 miles per hour. This tornado is double the width of the May 20 tornado in Moore, Oklahoma.

edit on 4-6-2013 by Havox because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join