It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rough evening shaping up for Oklahoma, Moore and points NE - Tornado Emergency Declared

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by OkieDokie

KFOR-TV a minute ago
KFOR’s Adam West reports 5 vehicles (3 of them SUV’s) are completely submerged at Cornell and Reno.

I think they may rethink their new advise of "If you can't get below ground, get out of the way." The meteorologists kind of picked that up after Gary England gave that advise during the May 3rd tornado, and it is something that most Oklahoman's had never heard before. Growing up here, we were always told to get to the center most part of the house away from doors and windows, and cover your head. It looks like Oklahomans have taken the advise to get out of the way this time, and it has caused a mess on the highways.

~OkieDokie

Yes, like you I was born and raised here and I have never, until recently, been told that an appropriate action was to "get out of the way". You stay put in your shelter or central part of the home. If your in a car, I've been trained to get the hell out of it and find shelter. If your GOING to leave the area, you leave before the storms develop. A friend of mine went to Ft. Worth this afternoon because of the threat today...even though we weren't forecast to be in the threat path...and all the storms did stayed north and east of us thankfully.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by EdSurly

Can you give me info on Muskegee, my folks are there? All the weather channels rader seems to be a hour behind. CH9 is going to the local OKC broadcast. What about the outlying counties?

I know, it sounds selfish, but they are all I got. My prayers do go to the mother and child who passed. I hope there are no others.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex
reply to post by EdSurly

That is concerning, my Folks are in Muskogee at the moment (They're snowbirds and heading home) I thought that they would be further north by now.

This will be a long night.

Thanks for the link.
edit on 31-5-2013 by TDawgRex because: ETA

I might have missed your update, but have you heard from your folks? Hopefully they stayed put in Muskogee.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 09:51 PM
link   

reply to post by EdSurly

Can you give me info on Muskegee, my folks are there? All the weather channels rader seems to be a hour behind. CH9 is going to the local OKC broadcast. What about the outlying counties?

I know, it sounds selfish, but they are all I got. My prayers do go to the mother and child who passed. I hope there are no others.

Wow, I guess I was writing that as you were posting. Muskogee is ok, they will eventually get hit by the remnants but they should be safe. Here's an updating weather radar of the whole state;

www.news9.com...#!/main/radar.htm

You'll see Muskogee SE of Tulsa, it's listed on the map.
edit on 31-5-2013 by EdSurly because: added last sentence

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by cheesy

Originally posted by MariaLida
reply to post by MariaLida

CREAZY PEOPLE!! OMG What a fool

It's like Sheldon decided to be a stormchaser.

Everyone else in the vehicle seemed fairly cool and collected. Which it should be.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by EdSurly

Thanks.

I don't want to sound like a ingrate, but they are in their later years and I would like to see them at least one more time. Once again....selfish.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by cheesy

Originally posted by MariaLida
reply to post by MariaLida

CREAZY PEOPLE!! OMG What a fool

It's like Sheldon decided to be a stormchaser.

Everyone else in the vehicle seemed fairly cool and collected. Which it should be.

hahaha

what a mess

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 09:56 PM
link   

reply to post by EdSurly

Thanks.

I don't want to sound like a ingrate, but they are in their later years and I would like to see them at least one more time. Once again....selfish.

That's not selfish, not at all. I'd be the same way.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by EdSurly

Yep, I've talked to them. My sister is driving them home. Double Jeopardy.

They do have a plan in place and have talked with the hotel management. My figers are crossed. One more long hour and I'll rest easy tonight anyways.

After that...I have to worry about the rest of the trip.
My thoughts are with the people of Oklahoma. (Actually the world, but that spreads it kinda thin.)
edit on 31-5-2013 by TDawgRex because: Just a ETA

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 10:10 PM
link   

reply to post by EdSurly

Yep, I've talked to them. My sister is driving them home. Double Jeopardy.

They do have a plan in place and have talked with the hotel management. My figers are crossed. One more long hour and I'll rest easy tonight anyways.

After that...I have to worry about the rest of the trip.

Good deal, if the remnant hits them they may get some high winds and hail but no one is talking about the system anymore....meaning it's nothing to worry about. Take heart that their in a state that's used to this type of weather and most every city, town, and burg has tornado sirens. Looking at the radar it looks to me that it's going to miss Muskogee to the south, but it may take a more northeasterly track...but like I said...other than the high winds and maybe hail there isn't much to worry about with this system anymore.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Flooding More and more worse

Watch : www.news9.com...

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by EdSurly

Double jeapordy because my sister drives like crap and gets car sick while doing it.
And once again for the night...wait a second,

The 'ol man does have a head on his shoulders but is no longer a spry cat.

We have our share of twisters in Wisconsin, but luckily, like Oklahoma, the state is mainly rural.

Thanks for the updates. Wisconsin may be in the alleyways of Tornado alley, but you guys are the main street. I don't envy you that at all. Good luck.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I heard about the possibility of this happening earlier today, before I went to work. I glanced over at NOAA real quick and indications were that several super-cell storm systems were more than likely to develop later on in the afternoon, in these areas. I've been casually watching radar for some-time, and what I'm seeing more and more is the signature of a hurricane over the central U.S.. No joke, to the untrained eye you would literally think you were tracking a damn hurricane, that's causing these super-cells to form. It's just an observation;

Here is the report I read, from the Storm Prediction Center:

THE NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER IN NORMAN OK IS FORECASTING THE DEVELOPMENT OF TORNADOES...LARGE HAIL AND DAMAGING WINDS FROM CENTRAL OKLAHOMA TO PARTS OF THE OZARKS THIS AFTERNOON AND TONIGHT.

THE AREAS MOST LIKELY TO EXPERIENCE THIS ACTIVITY INCLUDE

EXTREME NORTHWEST ARKANSAS
EXTREME SOUTHEAST KANSAS
EXTREME SOUTHWEST MISSOURI
CENTRAL AND NORTHEAST OKLAHOMA

ELSEWHERE...SEVERE STORMS ARE ALSO POSSIBLE FROM...NORTHWEST TEXAS TO INDIANA...LOWER MICHIGAN...AND SOUTHERN WISCONSIN.

SCATTERED SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS ARE EXPECTED TO DEVELOP BY EARLY AFTERNOON ACROSS CENTRAL MISSOURI...WITH ADDITIONAL STORM DEVELOPMENT LIKELY LATER IN THE AFTERNOON SOUTHWESTWARD INTO NORTHEAST AND CENTRAL OKLAHOMA. THE ATMOSPHERE WILL BECOME EXTREMELY UNSTABLE THIS AFTERNOON...ESPECIALLY IN OKLAHOMA...WHILE WINDS IN THE ATMOSPHERE WILL BE FAVORABLE FOR ORGANIZED SEVERE STORMS...INCLUDING A FEW SUPERCELL THUNDERSTORMS. VERY LARGE HAIL TO THE SIZE OF BASEBALLS OR LARGER CAN BE EXPECTED WITH THE MOST INTENSE STORMS LATE THIS AFTERNOON AND EVENING...ALONG WITH A FEW TORNADOES. STORMS WILL CONTINUE INTO TONIGHT FROM CENTRAL AND EASTERN OKLAHOMA INTO NORTHERN ARKANSAS AND SOUTHERN MISSOURI WITH A CONTINUED RISK FOR LARGE HAIL AND DAMAGING WINDS...ALONG WITH LOCALLY HEAVY RAINFALL.

STATE AND LOCAL EMERGENCY MANAGERS ARE MONITORING THIS DEVELOPING SITUATION. THOSE IN THE THREATENED AREA ARE URGED TO REVIEW SEVERE WEATHER SAFETY RULES AND TO LISTEN TO RADIO...TELEVISION...AND NOAA WEATHER RADIO FOR POSSIBLE WATCHES...WARNINGS...AND STATEMENTS LATER TODAY.

edit on 31-5-2013 by iunlimited491 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by EdSurly

Some ones house in El Reno today wow

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Man that hay bale came outta no where

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by EdSurly

If I had a 4x4 and I thought the twister was far enough away I would try to outrun it rather that getting in a dam ditch were your sure to be sucked out and screwed up or worse. The same If my home had no good shelter. The government has the money to help people install shelters and that they don't help these people is a crime.

The fact the schools did not have proper shelters either really pisses me off.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Patriotsrevenge
reply to post by EdSurly

If I had a 4x4 and I thought the twister was far enough away I would try to outrun it rather that getting in a dam ditch were your sure to be sucked out and screwed up or worse. The same If my home had no good shelter. The government has the money to help people install shelters and that they don't help these people is a crime.

The fact the schools did not have proper shelters either really pisses me off.

The "Government" ehh? Yea, that gubment will save us all! Lordy Lordy! Were saved by the Gubment! Everybody knows the Gubment gots plenty o money! Yessseree, nobody is responsible for their health or safety nooo siirr-eee! We all rely on the GUBMENT!!

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Take refuge under an overpass up near the place where the conrete abutment holds up the bridge stringers
its like a little bomb shelter there.....
Cars/ trucks are toys to these winds....better to not get caught in them......

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Latest on CNN, a few minutes ago, 5 deceased, 71 hurt.....hard to tell because its dark, no power. Not sure which town/s. thinking mostly highway casualties.......they will obviously know more in the morning. CNN is still covering the damage from tonight if anyone needs info......prayers out to these poor people who can't catch a break

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Good morning...and an update everyone. I wish it were better, but this is coming out within the last few minutes.

Authorities said some of the worst damage on Friday was from flooding around El Reno and Yukon and the danger continued into Saturday.

The National Weather Service issued flash flood warnings for parts of Oklahoma early Saturday.

“At 2:21 a.m. CDT, National Weather Service radar and rain gauges indicated over six inches of rain has fallen across parts of Oklahoma and Canadian counties. Additional storms will move across these counties through the early morning with additional 1 to 2 inches of rain possible. Life-threatening flooding is already occurring and will continue for the next several hours,” the weather service said.

(Source: Mom, baby, three others killed as tornadoes hit Oklahoma City suburbs)

I sure hope daylight finds better than expected for the level of damage. They ought to just be getting out for some good looking about now.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join