It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rough evening shaping up for Oklahoma, Moore and points NE - Tornado Emergency Declared

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on May, 31 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Most of central and NE Oklahoma is in an "Enhanced" area for severe weather and that area runs all the way NE to SW Missouri and SE Kansas. "Enhanced" risk is the highest risk level there is so were sure to see some tornado's this evening, lets just hope they do nothing more than tear up some wheat fields. The heightened risk comes from a "Triple Point" just west of OKC, that's where an occluded front, warm front and cold front collide at that point there is a huge amount of lifting and if there is enough moisture....which is abundant today....Supercell's are sure to form.

If you live in that area, keep your head down and your eyes up! Good luck everyone!
edit on 31-5-2013 by EdSurly because: spelling

edit on 5/31/2013 by kosmicjack because: expanded title for clarity

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   
All I can add is Google Tor-Con check it daily if you live in an area with increased risk I think it updates on the hour.

Stay safe everyone this year is starting out with a bang

SaneThinking

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaneThinking
All I can add is Google Tor-Con check it daily if you live in an area with increased risk I think it updates on the hour.

Stay safe everyone this year is starting out with a bang

SaneThinking

Thanks for adding that. It says central and eastern OK is a 7....so, not as high as it can go but I suppose pretty high anyway....it's colored red as is SE Kansas and southern Missouri at a TorCon of 6.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by EdSurly

I love a good thunder boomer. And am even still excited to see tornados. I guess I am one of those special idiots.

That said, I wish they would stick to unpopulated areas.

My first memory is of a tornado, I watched it destroy our neighbor farm. Turned the Barn into matchsticks.

But tonight and tomorrow as they pass through my area, I'll be on the deck watching them.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex
reply to post by EdSurly

I love a good thunder boomer. And am even still excited to see tornados. I guess I am one of those special idiots.

That said, I wish they would stick to unpopulated areas.

My first memory is of a tornado, I watched it destroy our neighbor farm. Turned the Barn into matchsticks.

But tonight and tomorrow as they pass through my area, I'll be on the deck watching them.

I feel the same way! There's nothing finer than sitting in the back, drinking a Shiner watching the thunder boomers lumber across the prairie
Like you said though...as long as they stick to the prairie and not folks homes!

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Considering I watched last Monday's tornado blow by just 1/2 a mile south of me(I saw the debris flying through the air, it was surreal and my first "up close" tornado) I'm really hoping they are wrong about what's likely this evening, but the models rarely are.

Here's to ALL ATSers in the area coming out of this OK.

Springer...

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Springer

10-4 that! Were you drinking a Shiner?

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I'm still here in Edmond,Okla. visiting my daughter...eyes to the sky and ears to the weathercast...take care folks!!!

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Springer

Oh my!!! Stay safe!!!!

Were you in a state of shock when you saw it and also do you have any anxiety because of it? I think I would freak out anytime it thundered thereafter.

Living in TN. I am a bit worried Sat night into Sunday may be severe for us.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   
The triple point (according to News9 meteorologists) was right on top of Watonga, OK. About 15 minutes ago a thuderstorm formed there and is now moving NE. I'm sure the first of many more to come.

One of the best radar sites for Oklahoma imo;

www.news9.com...

From the site above you can select "Storm tracker" from the "Weather" drop-down and see the Doppler radar and also the storm chasers in the area. Many of the chasers broadcast live video so if you want to watch a live feed from a chaser you can select from quite a few from that radar.
edit on 31-5-2013 by EdSurly because: added last sentence

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

Maybe you should try Stormchasing to get over your fear. It can be exciting....stupid, but exciting!

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   
This is the direct feed of JR Hehnly's video stream. He's watching a pretty bad looking wall cloud with some major rotation west of El Reno.

Hopefully the link will work. If not, you can follow the directions on my post above to select him or another storm chaser.

content.wdtinc.com...

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Tornado on the ground right now west of El Reno. Watch the live stream form the best weatherman anywhere...imho;

www.news9.com...

El Reno is 30 miles west of OKC for those that don't know.

update

Large wedge tornado at Hwy 270 and I-40 The weathercasters are calling for I-40 to be shut down immediately
edit on 31-5-2013 by EdSurly because: added last sentence

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Here's the Watch inf, from the Storm center.....besides the threat of tornado...there's also winds and 4-inch diameter hail possible.

Particularly Dangerous Situation (PDS) Tornado Watch 262
SEL2

URGENT - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED
TORNADO WATCH NUMBER 262
NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK
330 PM CDT FRI MAY 31 2013

THE NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WATCH FOR PORTIONS OF
CENTRAL AND NORTHEAST OKLAHOMA

* EFFECTIVE THIS FRIDAY AFTERNOON FROM 330 PM UNTIL MIDNIGHT CDT.

...THIS IS A PARTICULARLY DANGEROUS SITUATION...

* PRIMARY THREATS INCLUDE...
SEVERAL INTENSE TORNADOES LIKELY
NUMEROUS VERY LARGE HAIL EVENTS TO 4 INCHES IN DIAMETER LIKELY
NUMEROUS DAMAGING WIND GUSTS LIKELY WITH SEVERAL SIGNIFICANT
GUSTS TO 80 MPH POSSIBLE

THE TORNADO WATCH AREA IS APPROXIMATELY ALONG AND 65 STATUTE
MILES EAST AND WEST OF A LINE FROM 20 MILES WEST NORTHWEST OF
BARTLESVILLE OKLAHOMA TO 30 MILES EAST OF WICHITA FALLS TEXAS.
FOR A COMPLETE DEPICTION OF THE WATCH SEE THE ASSOCIATED WATCH
OUTLINE UPDATE (WOUS64 KWNS WOU2).

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

www.spc.noaa.gov...

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Mile south of El Reno area right now, take shelter, Burbank , and South of Calumet, a Bull or cone funnel.

I am right above Springfield mo and it is really changing right now, getting really yellow/green.
edit on 31-5-2013 by antar because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   
The tornado is SW of El Reno and is south of I-40...if it stays on the ground it's headed to a highly populated area; southern and central OKC. Gary England is saying; "The whole thing is wrapping up now, it's not good news" Pray for those people in the path. Mustang, and south-central OKC.

again, streaming video of Gary England and his team filming this large tornado;

www.news9.com...
edit on 31-5-2013 by EdSurly because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by EdSurly

That is concerning, my Folks are in Muskogee at the moment (They're snowbirds and heading home) I thought that they would be further north by now.

This will be a long night.

Thanks for the link.
edit on 31-5-2013 by TDawgRex because: ETA

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Hell, they have live coverage of this on the Weather Channel and Fox News now...

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Weather channel ground spotter was just in tornado, his car is pancake flattened, everyone tosed but fine other than scared and bloody, felt it explode in the air. Tossed about 200 yards.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Fox News said Moore Oklahoma in path of the mile long tornado. Fox News
has storm chasers giving up to date info.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join