It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obamacare to Raise Californians' Individual Premiums 64% to 146%

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   

That's what it says.

And that may be true for Individuals as opposed to group plans from employers.

The mass increases will be on the exchange for Individuals

Sure some people will get tax credits but of course only after they PAY.

Sure some will get subsidies, but only if they Qualify
Most people won't.

It all means higher payments for insurance and less money people will be saving.

There also seems to be some plan restrictions for age groups too.
That means higher payments for older Americans.

We are headed for government dominance of your future.

Triumphalist progressive claims that early California figures prove Obamacare will reduce health insurance costs are coming to a screeching halt as closer analyses reveal Californians will actually experience a staggering 64% to 146% increase in individual health insurance premiums come January 2014.

PPACA is smoke & mirrors plain and simple.

Compare here.....Calculating Potential Insurance Cost in 2014

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Breitbart is basing their hit piece on Avik Roy's opinion piece in Forbes.

Let's look at Mr Roy's bio:

I served as a health care policy advisor to Mitt Romney.........Previously, I worked as an analyst and portfolio manager at J.P. Morgan, Bain Capital, and other firms.

Avik Roy

So, no bias there then.

Roy is just playing "find the lady" with the numbers.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by BritofTexas

well then.

what will the "real" rates be for individuals ?

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Regardless if it's true or not...premiums will increase...

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen
reply to post by BritofTexas

well then.

what will the "real" rates be for individuals ?

Nice..... I hate it when progressives attack the messenger and not the message itself. When it comes down to the facts and numbers progressives can not handle it.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Holy crap. A single person pays 4-6000 dollars a year depending on the plan. That’s a minimum monthly premium of $333.00 and a maximum premium of $533.00. An individual earning $30,000.00 a year who’s barely making rent, living expenses, car payment and insurance won’t have any money to afford the premiums. Does anyone know how much the penalty payment will be?

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by StoutBroux
Holy crap. A single person pays 4-6000 dollars a year depending on the plan. That’s a minimum monthly premium of $333.00 and a maximum premium of $533.00. An individual earning $30,000.00 a year who’s barely making rent, living expenses, car payment and insurance won’t have any money to afford the premiums. Does anyone know how much the penalty payment will be?

exactly the point !

The lower and mid middle class is the target.

The I.R.S.S. penalties are here according to the California website:
Health Insurance Penalty Phase-In Schedule

Do I have to buy health insurance?

If you don't have health insurance, you should. Health insurance is an important way to make sure we have access to medical care when we need it. Starting in January 2014, most people will be required to have health insurance or pay a penalty if they don't. Coverage can include employer-provided insurance, coverage you buy on your own, Medicare or Medi-Cal.

The penalty phases in over three years and becomes increasingly severe. In 2014, the penalty will be 1 percent of annual income or $95, whichever is greater. By 2016, the penalty will be 2.5 percent of income or $695. This means that if you do not have coverage in 2014, you will be required to pay a penalty when you file your taxes at the end of the year.

Health Insurance Penalty Phase-In Schedule
Pay the greater of the two amounts
Year Percentage of Income Set Dollar Amount
2014 1% $95
2015 2% $325
2016 2.5% $695

The total penalty for the taxable year will not exceed the national average of the annual premiums of a bronze-level health insurance plan offered through the health insurance marketplaces, like Covered California. Health insurance plans will provide proof of coverage for their customers.

Several groups are exempt from the requirement to obtain coverage or pay the penalty, including:

People who would have to pay more than 8 percent of their income for health insurance
People with incomes below the threshold required for filing taxes (in 2012, $9,750 for a single person and $27,100 for a married couple with two children)
People who qualify for religious exemptions
Undocumented immigrants
People who are incarcerated
Members of Native American tribes

If you do not have insurance and do not fit into one of these categories, then you will likely pay a penalty.

This part is vague:
""People who would have to pay more than 8 percent of their income for health insurance""

does the "income" include "household incomes" ??

and ya gotta luv this exemption:
""Undocumented immigrants ""

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   
The Affordable Health care act will effectively double insurance premiums, so ironic.

Insurance companies will never play fair, I am certain even if I paid for health care if something happened to me I would still owe the hospital a large sum of money so I can not justify paying for a service that will screw me if I ever need it.

Health Care in the US has been broken for sometime, Obamacare seems like it will only make things worse and will work to take away the little bit of wealth the middle class now currently enjoys.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Obama Care is Bulldooey
The medical system in America is rotten to the core with overpaid overweight and useless people.
The hospital industry is riddled with lazy and incompetant people.
The leading cause of death in Ameria today is misdiagnosis....
The whole idea of paying such exorbitant premiums is to further indebt the middle class...
Very adequate medical are can be provided at much less cost if there werent so many greedy hands in the middle......
Hospitals should be goverment institutions. not private rip off pseudotreatment bill your blue cross money makers for the shareholders.
Little known fact is that the entire list of drug companies in America are Rockefeller owned.
the rockefeller stranglehold on the medical industry in America has been patiently crafted since before 1900.
Rockefeller started and owns the AMA as well.
The momoply on the drug supply both legal, and illegal is in the hands of the elite.
They milk the public with insurance by spreadng fear......
Its a huge scam....wake the heck up!...

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 06:04 PM
link   
At this point maybe the government should just take it all and give us 5.00 at the end of the month. There is no way at all I can afford this but sounds like they are going to tax it like social security. Last I heard this was only for employers who employed 50 or more people. I think it's time to go live in Africa. Why even work? If you like working, like I do, they are pretty much saying work to break even or live off the government and make a profit (welfare, social security, etc). Where do our rights to spend our money as we chose come in? Or is there no right in this regard (can't remember and too tired to look it up).

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

There must be some way to bring costs under control. I am an insurers dream. I am healthy and pay the premiums. They are making money hand over fist with me and have no excuse to raise the rates but they do.

There should be a forensic audit of the insurance companies and health care system and publish the results.

new topics

top topics

join