It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Service to Self versus Service to Others - A lot more than just service! JOY versus LOVE, Which woul

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

And we are taught to believe that Romantic Love is the best when there is much drama and dependence on another rather than independence.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
The STS/STO concept is a Gnostic concept, but it is being used too simplistically... STO/STS is an alternate to the good/evil paradigm. An STO being considered "good" while STS could be viewed as "evil"... however (if I understand this correctly- still a gnostic noob) to be considered STS one has to devote at least 95% of his/her existence to themselves. An STO only has to devote 55% of their existence to serving others (it has been my experience that to help others, you have to take care of yourself first). So, a true STS has to be incredibly selfish... selfish to the point of doing anything at any cost to take care of their self-identity. Stalin, Hitler et al were incredibly evil personages; their evil being rooted in their self-fulfillment at any cost. I hope that makes sense...

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by madmac5150

You have it exactly right. "good" and "evil" are descriptions based on subjective observation - i.e. how we ourselves feel regarding the situation or object being described. It is not an objective label as truly objective labels would require a far more vast comprehensive perspective than we are capable of.

"Good" and "evil" are just as man-made as "beauty" and "truth". These are ideas we use to measure degrees of emotional states that we experience as we become more aware of the shades of meaning our consciousness is capable of recognizing. Just as one learns to use their body, so we learn to use our mind - and every impression or sensation requires a marker to identify its place in the vast web of existential awareness.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Some will argue that "beauty" is not made up, it is mathematical harmony - but who says everyone even likes mathematical harmony?

Some will argue that "truth" is observing reality - but what reality are they talking about? Are you seeing the so-called reality of these words that I'm typing and you're reading? Or are you seeing the other reality of electrons and photons - who it looks on the smaller-scale?

Whose reality is the realist reality? And whose truth is the truthiest truth?

It is all about the point of view.

Even so-called objective knowledge such as mathematics can be changed through perspective.

Most hold the belief that "1" is singular but is that really truth? Is one apple really one thing? Yes - if you see it that way; No - if you see it that way.

The apple is the skin, the core, the seeds, the white-inside-part that's eaten.

Everything depends on how you look at it.
edit on 2-6-2013 by arpgme because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

And obviously we always recognize truth, right? Magic shows must really bore you.
fact is, truth is not nearly as simple as you suggest.

ETA: you edited your post. Your description is exactly what philosophers have puzzled over for thousands of years.
edit on 2-6-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Good and evil is subjective, but subjective observations are reality. Actually, theyre not, but for experiential purposes, the subjective is all you will ever see. Good and evil may be objectively false, but thats not something youll ever see, however, it is something you are. You just are. Things you see, once seen, are dualistic. And thats the way it will always be. But you are the one who determines what youll see.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 11:36 PM
link   

How was hitler and Stalin service-to-self if their intentions were to make the world a better place by getting rid of what they considered to be evil?

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by arpgme

How was hitler and Stalin service-to-self if their intentions were to make the world a better place by getting rid of what they considered to be evil?

They would have been successful, you know. They would have lived in a better world without the jews. Let me put it this way, if jesus came back tomorrow, would the world be a better place? Not if you hate jesus. My point is, the world is good if you say it is, and bad if you say it is, because no matter what happens, its always up to you whether or not you are satisfied.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by smithjustinb

I think "good" and "evil" is made up. Good means MY preferences what I like and prefer and evil means what I hate , fear or do not prefer.

We call ourselves "good", or "better" and those who do not agree with us are "the bad guys" or "unlightened" or "ego" or "lower vibration" or whatever other word we wish to use.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by arpgme
reply to post by smithjustinb

I think "good" and "evil" is made up. Good means MY preferences what I like and prefer and evil means what I hate , fear or do not prefer.

We call ourselves "good", or "better" and those who do not agree with us are "the bad guys" or "unlightened" or "ego" or "lower vibration" or whatever other word we wish to use.

It is made up. You are the maker. Making is what you do. So make.

<< 1  2   >>

join