It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asteroid 1998 QE2 Has A Moon.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Turns out after radar imaging yesterday of asteroid 1998 QE2, which is around 1.7 mile wide, has a 2,000 foot wide object orbiting it:

A huge asteroid set to sail past Earth on Friday has its own moon, NASA scientists have just discovered. Researchers obtained a series of radar images of the approaching asteroid 1998 QE2 late Wednesday using the Deep Space Network antenna at Goldstone, Calif. Images captured over the course of two hours showed that the asteroid is actually a binary system. The main space rock is the size of nine ocean liners, roughly 1.7 miles across, and the satellite that orbits it is estimated to be 2,000 feet wide, according to NASA. Binary systems are quite common among near-Earth asteroids. Of space rocks at least 655 feet across, about 16 percent are binary or triple systems, NASA officials said.

Here is a video about it at Space.com:

Earth Crossing Asteroid Has A Moon

And here's an article that you can actually read if you can't watch the video at Fox news:

Approaching Asteroid 1998 QE2 Has A Moon, Images Reveal
edit on 31-5-2013 by eriktheawful because: changed km to miles

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by eriktheawful

NIBIRU!!!!

RUN FOR THE HILLS!!!!

Anyways......I wonder what caused not only the asteroid but it's moon to change course drastically toward the solar sytem here?

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by eriktheawful

Being the Amateur astronomer that I am, why does the orbiting object this so called asteroid moon show up brighter then the asteroid?

Since these are Radar images one has to conclude that the object orbiting the Asteroid is made up of different material than its parent body. Also since the object is very bright it is most likely metallic or has a much higher metallic composition. Interesting that this was not mentioned of why it appears more reflective (thus brighter).

An 2,000 foot orbiting Alien mining platform? With all the "Searching for Alien Artifacts" in science news lately...why not? Of course they next question would be is it Ancient or Active?

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

Goldstone radar observations on May 29, 2013, discovered a satellite roughly 600 meters (2,000 ft) in diameter.[5] In radar images, the satellite appears brighter than the primary because it is rotating significantly slower and the much slower rotation squishes the satellite along the Doppler axis, making it appear very skinny and bright compared to the primary.[6

Source

Has to do with the fact that they're using Doppler radar, and the speed of rotation of the "moon". It's the frequency of the return and that data then translated into a image.

I was wondering about this yesterday when I saw the image that was provided of 1998 QE2. I was at first thinking they had a glitch of some sort. Glad to see it turns out it really is something that is there.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by eriktheawful
reply to post by abeverage

Goldstone radar observations on May 29, 2013, discovered a satellite roughly 600 meters (2,000 ft) in diameter.[5] In radar images, the satellite appears brighter than the primary because it is rotating significantly slower and the much slower rotation squishes the satellite along the Doppler axis, making it appear very skinny and bright compared to the primary.[6

Source

Has to do with the fact that they're using Doppler radar, and the speed of rotation of the "moon". It's the frequency of the return and that data then translated into a image.

I was wondering about this yesterday when I saw the image that was provided of 1998 QE2. I was at first thinking they had a glitch of some sort. Glad to see it turns out it really is something that is there.

CURSES!!!...my hypothesis foiled by science! That does make sense of why it is elongated, sort of like a long exposure on a moving object. D'OH I forgot about Doppler effect and was focused on reflectivity and absorption. Well not being an expert at all in Radar it was a layman's guess.

But I still say it is an Asteroid Mining Platform...

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Double post.

Cause, Doppler Radar and Aliens...
edit on 31-5-2013 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Since it appears that 1998 QE2 is coming from south to north in its orbit, wonder if the meteors being detected are little satellites too from previous journeys? there was a ton of them yesterday. Unfortunately this site has a copyright infringement and i can't post pics and is a live update

G7IZU RADIO REFLECTION

and Meteor Reports

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Its all good info but I'm slightly confused as per how they are not proportionally correct based on the image and video. 1 mile = 5280 foot. The satellite/moon is about 1000 or 2000 feett. Thus it should be approximately a 4th of the size of the asteroid. However in the image it looks much smaller. Perhaps its hidden and on the other side of the asteroid in the Image? Just curious.
edit on 31-5-2013 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-5-2013 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   
The thing I find most interesting about the image group; is the asteroid is rotating (can be determined by the location of the surface features) and the object being called a moon trailing along with it, stays pretty much in the same place through the entire sequence.

Edit to add:

There's a video: QE2 Video

Looks like it is leaving it's orbit in the video... unless it is in a close orbit on one side and a wide one on the other.
edit on 31-5-2013 by BigBrotherDarkness because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
That's no moon....

Sorry, couldnt help myself. I think its awesome that it has one, and the fact that we were able to image it is even more awesome. But it also raises the age old question, what are we not able to see coming this way.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Oh great... This giant rock has another giant rock slingshotting its way around it? Whipping about wildly and ready to get sucked into the earth if it goes a few feet too many one way or the other? Sigh... Just when I was gonna plan a trip outside of my bunker I've been sitting in since December... Everytime I get up the courage to poke my head out and get some sunshine, I always make the mistake of checking ATS to make sure the zombie apocalypse hasn't started or some other minor inconvenience, and just like the groundhog, I get scared and go hide in my hole for another few weeks...

Eventually I'm gonna run out of food...

Hey, anyone wanna come stay in my bunker with me free of charge...? Large, plump, meaty applicants prefered.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by 3n19m470

Get out of that hole already... and just live. I have a cure for all those afraid and want to dig holes and hide in them; it's a book I read in kindergarten. I'm serious this will help get over this fear that it's coming at any minute at any time gotta be ready prepper syndrome. Just watch it.

And if that doesn't work there is no escaping death; it's cold icy hand can come at any instant in the future so hiding is holes is a futility, unless you love hiding in holes... then have at it.

new topics

top topics

join