It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Egyptian mummies yield genetic secrets

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Didn't see this article published in Nature April 2013 so thought I would post it

Carsten Pusch, who leads a team of geneticists at the University of Tübingen in Germany have been carrying out genetic analysis of five Egyptian mummified heads held at the University of Tübingen. They are using a more advanced and accurate genetic sequencing technique then previous studies called next-generation sequencing.

Interestingly they confirmed that at least one of these mummies belonged to Haplogroup I2, Entering that into a genetic mapping software reveals that in modern times the highest number of matches can be found in Bosnia and the black-sea area (60%).

In a preliminary study that the authors describe as “a first step”, they detected hints of one of the mummies’ ancestral origins, as well as pathogens and a range of plant materials presumably used in the embalming process. The researchers, led by Carsten Pusch, a geneticist at the University of Tübingen in Germany, published their findings last week in the Journal of Applied Genetics1.

Indeed, Pusch and his colleagues say that they are now working on a more comprehensive analysis, and that “entire-genome sequencing of ancient Egyptian individuals is likely to become standard in the not-too-distant future”. “It would be nice to know more about the origins of the ancient Egyptians,” says Pusch. “Where did they come from? Where did they go? Are there still traces of ancestral DNA in today’s Egypt?”

The data sets retrieved so far are small — a tiny fraction of what would be required for a whole genome sequence. But they show that human DNA survives in the mummies and that it is amenable to sequencing. The researchers determined that one of the mummified individuals may belong to an ancestral group, or haplogroup, called I2, believed to have originated in Western Asia. They also retrieved genetic material from the pathogens that cause malaria and toxoplasmosis

www.nature.com...

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Thanks for posting this. Its certainly an area I have wondered about for some time.

I have this strange feeling that the Ancient Egyptians may not have built the actual main pyramids but that they decorated, painted and carved on the pyramids which, when constructed, were originally not decorated at all.

I expect I will be blown out of the water on this 'feeling', but many pyramids around the world are not decorated.

Also the tools found in the burial chambers of the so-called 'builders' look more like small carving tools to me, than huge block-shaping tools to work on large pieces of stone.

Lastly, once you have mastered constructing pyramids, why stop or not leave the blue-prints for later construction if the time was not suitable currently, where are the tools for moving huge blocks of stone. These skills would be cherished and apprenticeships etc would have carried on.

Something is not quite right with our current ideas on the actual builders and Pharaohs and to find that these men came from further away than is accepted is a start to solving certain puzzles, if the DNA is correct. (I don't mean any disrespect to the Ancient or current Egyptians but I merely wonder why such skills were forgotten, we have lopsided pyramids and a number that have been removed according to satellite archaeology. If my feeling is wrong, a humble apology.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Shiloh7

I would be inclined to agree with you. It is a real shame that the casing stones were removed before the era of modern science.

Seeing as pyramids are found on every continent, and most are not, lavishly decorated, I'd say the squatter theory is at least worth considering.

That still leaves over 50,000 unaccounted artifacts though. Surely the ancient Egyptians at least made their own stone kitchenware... we can't explain how they did that either ya know?

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   
what tripe!!!

so the egyptians were from bosnia??

lol

NO...THEY WERE FROM EGYPT!

FROM THE NILE VALLEY

THE GENETICS ARE THAT OF THE KANUZ NUBIANS FROM ASWAN

GOLDEN BROWN PEOPLES

luxus and his propaganda lolol
edit on 31-5-2013 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by thePharaoh

My propaganda....nah mate that's in Nature, only one of the most respected scientific journals

Nubians hahahaha

Nile delta...that was the beginning, your looking in the wrong direction

edit on 31-5-2013 by LUXUS because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   
The Caucasus Mountains have hints of pre ice age megalith type structures. Pre younger dryas impact event, thats where alot of cool stuff was happening.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I went to a talk in the museum in Cairo and we were told that there were three distinct types of peoples living in ancient Egypt, I seem to remember the so-called 'ancient Egyptians, the Nubians (or Memphis type whom were more African and the modern Arabs. I'm sorry I can't be more specific, it was 35 years ago and the Egyptian Prof was absolutely fascinating and not bothered in the slightest about claims his people may not have built the pyramids.

The Pharaohs took wives from many countries as part of peace and trade treaties so why we should be surprised if some came from Europe is strange. Perhaps we don't give enough credit to ancient man 's ability to circumnavigate our planet. Just from recent archaeological excavations in Britain we are being surprised regularly by the extent of artefacts found that have stones or items from countries we never considered traded together in the ancient world.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   
King Menes, ( decendant from Sargon the great ) the first pharoh of the united upper and lower egypts, hander down of laws on stone tablets was an aryan....a goth ... (ha ha - a GOD)
books.google.ca...=onepage&q&f=false

so this DNA finding is more weight to Waddel's translations of the relevant hiroglyphs

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Shiloh7

Yes you can pickup any textbook about Egypt and see this, the Egyptians knew of 4 races and they depict them and name them. Below left to right Libyan, Kush-ite aka Nubian, Asiatic, Egyptian.

It has been recently confirmed that Minoans were basically a colony of Europeans living in ancient Greece also the oldest of the Tarim "mummies" in China are of European origin with later ones being mixed race Chinese/European.

" Victor H. Mair's team concluded that the mummies are basically Europoid, likely speakers of Indo-European languages."

So basically people got around a lot more then we in modern times think, seams like people in those times were happy to jump on a ship and go on an adventure or maybe they were forced to. Btw those same peoples who crossed the border from china and into India were known to the Indians as the aryans!
edit on 1-6-2013 by LUXUS because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by thePharaoh
what tripe!!!

so the egyptians were from bosnia??

lol

NO...THEY WERE FROM EGYPT!

FROM THE NILE VALLEY

THE GENETICS ARE THAT OF THE KANUZ NUBIANS FROM ASWAN

GOLDEN BROWN PEOPLES

luxus and his propaganda lolol
edit on 31-5-2013 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

A rather emotional reaction I'd say... Not a scintilla of logic in there. Meaning, even if you are correct, it is not apparent to me, the average Joe, how you applied logic and reason to come to this conclusion... I'm not saying you didn't, only that it is not apparent to me, as you did not include that information in your post. So, from my perspective, logic is not included in your response.

I'm guessing this is a sensitive issue for you. I can tell by the way you used mostly caps and did not provide any links or references where we could confirm what you say to be true.

Perhaps you could have went about it in a manner more consistent with an orderly discussion. For example: "So they found one mummy to be from group 12? One mummy in all of Egypt? Sigh... I wait with bated breath..." Or something like that, I don't know... Either way, as science progresses, the undeniable truth will come out. Will you be crushed if you were to discover that your people originally came from a different geological location? Or is it that you shriek away at the thought of carrying "that filthy Bosnian blood"? I personally wouldn't care one way or another... It was thousands of years ago for chrissake...

On a lighter note... I was not aware that LUXUS was in charge of Nature magazine. Thank you for providing this factual piece of information for me.
edit on 6/1/2013 by 3n19m470 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by LUXUS

Check out the tattoos on that guy on the far left
Pretty cool.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 08:08 AM
link   
" Victor H. Mair's team concluded that the mummies are basically Europoid, likely speakers of Indo-European languages."

wat made him think they were speakers of indo-european languages?

people always make the european/indo-european connection.
wen they find writtin in europe they all try to connect it to indo-europeans,wen they cant,they still say that must be indo-european but we cant connect it yet.

the same wit agriculture."oh agriculture start here n spread to europe".
like agriculture was such a big thing that other people cudnt do it by themselfs.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   
I did here from somewhere that they could now clone ancient Egyptians, so if we cloned a pharaoh he would have similar personality traits.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by n1000

Go to 0:46 of the above video and you can hear him talk about this.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by LUXUS

My propaganda....nah mate that's in Nature, only one of the most respected scientific journals

respected... ok

i guess i`ll just take your word for it

Nubians hahahaha

waking up is fun isnt it

Nile delta...that was the beginning, your looking in the wrong direction
[editby

you are soo wrong it hurts

the oldest kings were from heirkanopolis or known as nekhen....
which is in the south

the oldest temples are that of places like nabta playa and naqqada
which is in the south

the oldest cults and nomes
the tomb and temple builders
are all from the south

the only thing that came from the delta where invasion forces..FORIEGNERS
like, hykosis, persians, greeks, romans, arabs

expressed as asiatics in their oldest imagery
like the narmer pallette.. with asiatics getting trounced

the most famous kings were known for comming from the south to kick out delta gypsys
like Narmer, the intermediate period kings, tuthmosis, ramsees to the very later ku#e kings

the cult of the divine maitrachy, the dead king, and hor the eagle
is all from the south

the other thing that came from the delta
and i will give you this for free

is the solaristaion of the existing cults
the addition of ra...to the much older atum

the solaristation, or attempt of,
most likely came from the delta and sinai pennisula

thats about it dude

the pharaohs are still here....remember that before you start getting too carried away
edit on 1-6-2013 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by 3n19m470

oh allo..

you wanted logic

i sprinkled some in the above post

organise it and use it as you wish

as for luxus
he always finds some new "evidence" to prove and justify his perceptional subconcious, deep rooted racism

maybe, maybe not

to luxus
dude...i will say this for the late time

... black people were pharaohs...not could be... but are...

you just have to use your perception of what black really is....is it really a dude with a bone in his nose

welcome to east north east Africa

luxus - sux ulx

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by LUXUS

brilliant picture to see and judge perceptions

i will label them

first guy on the left = LIBYAN

second guy from left = KENYAN/SOMALIAN - land of punt - in 1900's thought to be nubians

third guy from left = ASIATICS - the kings enemies- middle eastern /euro- asians

guy on right = THEBANS - from nekhen... this was the royal line .. and most importanly - NUBIAN

luxus...the term nubian, was not used back then..."nub" was the word for gold

you can see it in menkaures or tutankhamuns other names
menkaures name was..Hor-nub, golden horus
tutankhamuns was Nub-kherpru-amun

so when naming this picture, keep the word nubian out of it...because two of them are today considered nubian...and the other two are considered arabs

fix your perception
your missing a show

peace

edit on 1-6-2013 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   
ThePharaoh, there were lots of Greeks in Egypt.Some of them were (a)
pharaohs.
Nobody claims that the origins of Egyptians are from that area, only that origins of that specific person are.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroKnowledge
ThePharaoh, there were lots of Greeks in Egypt.Some of them were (a)
pharaohs.
Nobody claims that the origins of Egyptians are from that area, only that origins of that specific person are.

well as the pharaoh

its my duty to tell you

that the greeks, persians and romans

were a dual lineage.... at best

the persians were invadors
the greeks were liberators...they kicked out the persians..alexander was made an "honarary" pharaoh.
and the romans...they spread paitrachy...removing the maitrachy of the great house

the later kings and queens never left alexandria

i just want to meet the person who labeled them pharaohs
pharaoh means per-aa = great house

how can you name a greco-roman a pharaoh...you can call them emperors, or rich elites

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   

FYI hierakonopolis is in upper Egypt several miles from the first cataract built expressly for keeping Nubians out of upper Egypt as documented on the boundary forts in hieroglyphs

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join