It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Inmate released early from prison...sues prison!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Some cases need to be seen to be believed...and this nation needs civil law reform. People who sue over B.S. need to be charged. financially, for the FULL costs of the entire court which is used to pursue their frivolous cases.

A man who sued after Montana let him out of prison five years early does not have a federal case, the 9th Circuit ruled Thursday.

After pleading guilty in 1993 to four counts of sexual assault, Jesse Engebretson was sentenced to four concurrent 20-year terms.

Basically, this fine, upstanding citizen was a sexual offender and career criminal He got himself a multi-sentence hit on his sexual offenses but then got himself a 30 year enhancement for carrer offense history. Specifically, a previous felony burglary. It appears he was paroled sooner than he figured he should have been, given the enhancement.

Two years later, Engebretson and his wife filed a pro se action against the warden of the prison where he served his sentence and the director of the Montana Department of Corrections, seeking $10 million for his illegal sentence.

"In other words, the Engebretsons sought damages because Jesse Engebretson was released from prison earlier than he should have been," the 9th Circuit explained Thursday (italics in original).
Source

10 million...for being let out early? Oh, they ought to give him back his prison time alright....I have so little tolerance for criminals to start with...but then to see them game our system and rape IT as they do their victims ..for every last dollar? Well, give the man all he wants then. He wants prison? Natural Life without Parole ....as a sex offender...and in general population of the WORST Prison the State of Montana has to offer..sounds about right to me.

See if he is still crying about being let out early after a few years of being the play toy of the hard core convicts. Anyone else a little annoyed by the sheer nerve a thing like this takes??

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Seems there are some who will do anything if they believe there could be a big payday involved. Most folks would just be tickled that they were released early and try to re-establish their lives as best possible. They never should have let lawsuit attorneys start advertising on television- it gives idiots too many grandiose ideas!

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Some cases need to be seen to be believed...and this nation needs civil law reform. People who sue over B.S. need to be charged. financially, for the FULL costs of the entire court which is used to pursue their frivolous cases.

Who would be the one to make this judgement call?

I am by no means defending this jackass here......But I am asking who would be the final decision in a "B.S. trial"?
edit on 5/31/2013 by Chrisfishenstein because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Chrisfishenstein

If I'm not mistaken, other parts of the world consider the loser in a civil trial to be the one picking up the tab for some of the costs that went into it. That would be a fair start. Insure there is actually some risk to losing other than filing fees and whatever cheap representation ..while costing others a fair amount to defend it.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   

The prison system rapes people out of money ad their lives all the time..Judge Mark Ciavarella was just given 28 years for conspiring with private prisons to trade kids for cash. so no...not annoyed at all..very entertained

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Wow.

Sounds to me like this POS was looking at how he could monetarily benefit from erroneous court proceedings as an easy way. "Oh, they never should have done this, it's illegal, let's sue for $10 mil, babe."

Too bad they didn't just uphold the remand:

On remand, the trial court again sentenced him to four 20-year terms, but judged that he had served the sentence, and deleted the conditions of his probation.

Send his dumbass back to prison for 80 years. What an idiot.

I agree, we definitely need some reins on frivolous lawsuits.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Baddguy

The prison system isn't a good thing and it never has been. In previous times, some were known for outright renting inmates out in chain gangs (Georgia comes to mind as well known for that one). However, that doesn't change the fact there are scumbag people out there and we can either shoot them or put them in prison. Hanging in the public square seems out of fashion, so that leaves the other two options. lol.. I mean, for the real criminals ... which this guy definitely was. A Sex offender, prior felon and general multi-loser.

He's the kind of guy I rather hope some of the worse stories of prison are true for. It really toasts my buns to think he'd have the nerve to sue the prison for 10 Million because he got out too SOON. I can see the guys who get falsely imprisoned. Guilty as sin as let out too soon though? Now that's what the Brits would call cheeky, I believe.

top topics

join