It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tell Me About Where Your From...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 12:44 AM
link   
I am in the US, and I have a fear of flying so I have never been outside the US, even though I will fly one day

Anyway I would love to learn about other places, different foods, cultures, and beauty. I know there is so much that I am missing, and sometimes just looking in a brouchure is not enough.

So basically I am writing this thread like Im a tourist (I kinda am) and would love to hear about the diversity of other cultures. Even some links to some have to see places. Maybe a few words in another language, I have been on a learning kick for the past week or so, and I look forward to learning about where your from... BTW I am taking this seriously that I have some friends contacting other friends for links for things like tea or seasoning that I can order, so I can try them out.

No personal info or anything that will break the T&C please.

Peace, NRE.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

I am also not crazy about flying. I live in Australia adelaide. A friend of mine who lived in Los angeles for one year reckons Adelaide its very similar to LA.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 12:53 AM
link   
In the middle of a temperate coastal rainforest, surrounded by mountains, islands and ocean.

Where I live it's really multicultural. No one race dominates.

City life but with country aspects. Really peaceful.

Lots of rainy days, cloudy days most of the year and during the summer warm sunny days.
Winter is sometimes snowy but mostly just grey and cold.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 12:59 AM
link   
I'm from Sacramento, California. I spend most of my times in the suburbs and explore around where I live. So far I have been through Canada to go to Alaska. I have been through places like Nevada, Texas, etc. I always loved places where there are lots of land and less people. I enjoy socializing. But I love nature even more. The suburban row of homes just doesn't do it for me. I would love to feel my lungs with fresh air and become an animal who loves to go on adventures in the wilderness. If you ever visit Sacramento it's a good place to hang out and go explore. A lot of weird interesting people like me.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Hello, NoRegretsEver,

I live in a sleepy, small market town in North Yorkshire, U.K, which is steeped in history.
( Not too far from the U.S. Menwith Hill base.)

Very low crime rate, pleasant folk, beautiful scenery, weather very variable. A lovely place to live.
( Been here 22 years, no intention of moving ! )

Best of both worlds, handy for shopping, yet only ten minutes walk in to beautiful open countryside, with deer, hares, badgers, red kites, buzzards, herons, curlew, to name a few...

I can't really say much more without giving away my location, And I would like to remain anonymous...

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 01:16 AM
link   
I Live on a small neighborhood on the middle of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
Almost inside of the largest urban forest of the world

A good place to live

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrJohnSmith

Hello, NoRegretsEver,

I live in a sleepy, small market town in North Yorkshire, U.K, which is steeped in history.
( Not too far from the U.S. Menwith Hill base.)

Very low crime rate, pleasant folk, beautiful scenery, weather very variable. A lovely place to live.
( Been here 22 years, no intention of moving ! )

Best of both worlds, handy for shopping, yet only ten minutes walk in to beautiful open countryside, with deer, hares, badgers, red kites, buzzards, herons, curlew, to name a few...

I can't really say much more without giving away my location, And I would like to remain anonymous...

Lol, i wont give much away but i probably lived near you many years ago! (Fewston)

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Thanks so far for the replies, so what is the best food in your area? What would your country be famous for, like I like to think that NYC where I was born and raised is famous for Pizza and Awesomness

Peace, NRE.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Tell you the truth im not sure if Australia is famous for anything. It does have a huge rock in its centre and there are sharks that can gulp a swimmer whole.

We have Pine gap here also which is our version of Area 51.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by AthlonSavage

I dont know what your talking about, thats interesting to me
Are there known cases there? Are people afraid to swim, or is it just the "norm"?

Peace, NRE.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 01:42 AM
link   
West Australia over here.
The normal side of Australia.

I say normal, but it's absolutely freezing right now, more than I ever remember it being in previous years. Maybe I'm just getting old and my circulation is going.. oO lol

Never been out of WA for any length of time. Saw Melbourne in 1986, didn't like it much. rained the entire time, they thought I was from the country. lmao.. weirdos...

be nice to travel one day, small plane trips.. I wouldn't mind it.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 01:47 AM
link   

People are not afraid to swim it is just the risk that comes with the territory. The people who get taken are usually surfers who are far out. I have seen Dolphins swimming at waste height along busy beaches. Its not uncommon to have sharks or dolphins to make their way right in.

There are rivers and creeks in the north eastern regions which have large crocodiles living in them and some times people who go for a swim or camp close to them get taken.

Lol sounds scarey doesnt it.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Originally from upstate New York but now live on a few acres in southern Oregon; I have more turkeys, deer, raccoon, quail, eagles and cougars for neighbors than I have human neighbors. My backyard is a mountain and beyond that there is millions of acres of bureau of land management timberland.

In the winter it's mild but misty-rainy and rarely gets below freezing. Once spring finally arrives for keeps (looks like today it started actually), the rain and clouds subside and it's day after day of turquoise blue sky, no clouds and no bugs because it gets so dry. The ocean is about 80 miles away, as is the biggest nearby real city. At night the Milky Way is a clear ribbon and I want to get night vision glasses and look for UFOs.

I'm not much into food but there's regular small grocery stores in town, a few good pizza, Chinese and Thai places. I'm setting up my own aquaponics system so I can grow my own greens.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 02:11 AM
link   

onpas hullun lämmin ilma tänään...
isn`t it crazy warm today..

its like 26cel, in finland today,,, but thats cool, everybody is practically naked,,,
this will last a few months and then its back to the eternal darkness, and easily min-26.
i am so happy that summer is upon us (throwing all my clothes away, and running to the streets)
edit, and for travelling, there is no way i am flying in a tin can.....
interrail is the word of today,, lots of options...
edit on 31-5-2013 by solve because: just some more info

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by NoRegretsEver
Thanks so far for the replies, so what is the best food in your area? What would your country be famous for, like I like to think that NYC where I was born and raised is famous for Pizza and Awesomness

Peace, NRE.

My parents got married in 1943 during WWII and their honeymoon was two days in NYC. They were wandering around in Little Italy and stopped in front of a restaurant window where a man was throwing dough up into the air. They stopped and bought dinner that my father six decades later described as the 'most delicious thing he had ever eaten'. It was plain baked dough topped with nothing but tomato sauce and was called, 'pizza' which he had never heard of before...

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 02:40 AM
link   
I live in Atlantis

Our favorite food

our common attire

and last but not least...my pet Spot

edit on (5/31/1313 by shells4u because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 04:24 AM
link   

This is the Glass House Mountains in Queensland Australia. The little one sticking up in the centre, Mt. Coonowrin (also known as Crookneck) is about 4kms (about a mile) from my place.

This is also just up the road.

You may not know the zoo, but I would suspect all Americans know this guy....

This is Noosa Beach, about an hour or so north on the northern tip of the Sunshine Coast. It's basically a bunch of towns that grew into a city of about 100,000 people. Noosa is at the northern tip, and is surrounded by tropical rainforests, which is odd considering the town was settled as a logging area.

It is subtropical here, humid and rainy in summer, and nice and sunny in winter. We are inland though, so it does get cold at night. We also have had floods the last two years. Not as bad as some areas, but we got pretty drenched. This was Australia Day (26th January) and the deluge we copped over the long weekend this year;

Lastly, this is my backyard. I own a 7 acre property about 15-20 mins from town that backs onto a local state forest, about 2 acres of the property has been planted as a subtropical rainforest to attract wildlife.

It's a very nice place to live in all.

As for local culture, everywhere I go in Australia is just a melting pot for all kinds of food and culture. Asian food is very big here, along with gourmet foods and upmarket stuff, being a tourist spot. We generally have everything from BBQs to Asian food and beyond here, and if you're open enough to it all you can really just have any kind of food from any culture here.

Originally posted by winofiend
West Australia over here.
The normal side of Australia.

(In all seriousness Win, I loved Perth and WA the last visit... Such an amazing city
)

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Norn Iron i'm from and its very green and wet but the irish stews yummy

Oh and soda's with bacon, sausage and a fried egg slapped in the middle, not quite an ulster fry but just as yummy, washed down with a Bushmills whiskey (bottle that is)

We don't get blown up anymore on nights out so its lookin ok here apart from the bomb holes you have to try not to fall into on the way home from the pub

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 04:51 AM
link   

If one were to take the seafront bus, from the stop nearest my place, the route would take you past the following things...

After turning from Ness Road into Church Road, and proceeding fifteen meters, you will note on your right hand side, a fairly ancient looking church, made of rough stone and sporting a massive oaken door, huddled amongst the gravestones that dot the space between the old outer wall of its perimeter, and the wall of the actual church. And it is an old one, dating back to norman times, so I am told. After travelling along the rest of Church Road (which is residential and therefore somewhat tedious), a left hand turn will bring your first sight of the sea, as the bus sweeps down a short decline, before your veiw is temporarily impaired by the beach huts, and the sea wall.

Turning right, the bus is now on the seafront road, and if you look out of the windows on the left, and the day is clear, you will see the opposite side of the estuary, as well as various shipping, and several pleasure craft, small yachts, and the odd fishing boat out of Leigh, about ten miles further around the coast. On your right hand side, will be Thorpe Bay Yacht Club, its clubhouse set back from the road , behind a common green space with landscaped plantations of flowers and shrubs, on which many people walk dogs, play ball, fly kites and so on. Right next to the green space, is the Yacht Park, where club members bring thier boats ashore on trailers for storage.

The constant presence of the sea on the left offers interest at all times, but further along the seafront road, on the right, is the Thorpe Bay Tennis Club. As you may have guessed, Thorpe Bay is the part of town where the well off (read :tax dodgers) live. As we head further along the coast road, toward the town centre of Southend-on-Sea, the residences get closer to the road, and become taller and obviously multi-occupancy, before degenerating into a series of small bed and breakfast hotels. Ironically it is at this point that ones view of the sea is obscured once again, due to the sea wall. After hugging the coastline through a couple of gentle bends, one is able to see the seaside ammusements, and the road seperates itself from the coast by twenty meters or so. On the left, in the space between the road and the sea wall, a Sea-Life Centre sits, while on the right, various cafes, eateries, and ammusement arcades spring up.

When one passes the Sea-Life Centre, the tangle of brightly coloured metal work that is Adventure Island comes into view (which is neither all that adventurous, nor, for that matter, an island). A small theme park, it sits nestled against the pier a few hundred meters away. Meanwhile, as the bus turns toward town, and one decides that a town centre is boring as heck before stepping off, one will see the Kursaal, which is a historic venue in this seaside town, famous in the victorian era right through to the later half of the twentieth century. It was an amusement arcade, a ballroom, and event venue of epic import in the day, playing host to Wall of Death riders, amongst other mad things. It fell into disrepair for some time, before being ressurected in the earliest years of the twenty first century.

Walking now, continuing along the seafront, one will see various permanent stalls along the sea wall on the left, with cafes, candy floss stalls, places to buy sandals, and even more ammusement arcades on the right, broken up by the occasional pub. Now for the pier. This 1.34 mile stretch of wood and iron has been a main attraction here for a very long time indeed, and was designed by James Brunlees, who designed the worlds first iron pier at Southport, before going on to work on the one at Southend (no geographical relation
).

Apart from being the longest pleasure pier on the planet, it was also used by the navy during WW2, and was designated HMS Westcliff for the duration. It currently houses a Lifeboat station, an electric tram, a cafe run by Jamie Oliver (celebrity chef and all round Essex chancer), and a visitor centre. It used to have a ballroom in times of yore, and then a bowling alley when I was young, but both of these burnt down, as did rather a large section right at the far end of the pier, when the OLD cafe (not run by a celebrity chef) had its independant gas supply rupture and ignite on some dodgy wiring. Several friends and I sat under blankets on the beach, getting drunk and watching it burn, giving the occasional "OOOHH" when a tank cooked off. That was a few years back.

Southend-On-Sea used to host an annual free airshow, one of the biggest free events of its kind and scope, in all of Europe, but due to the fact that our local council are drooling morons to a man, it has been cancelled for the foreseeable future, despite being good for local businesses.
edit on 31-5-2013 by TrueBrit because: Factual correction regarding material construction.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Not saying really anything about where I'm from, how do I know youre not a intel agent trying to get info on me???

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join