It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amelia Earhart’s Plane Wreckage May Be Visible in Newly-Released Images

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Just heard this on the radio and looked it up. They might have something here. So many stories on her through the years (and TV specials). I guess will get more info soon and more on the tube. I hope they get this solved.

Grainy sonar images depicting a narrow, 22-ft. long object found some 600 feet below sea level in the Pacific Ocean may show the remains of the Lockheed Electra plane flown by Amelia Earhart. The world-famous aviator and her navigator, Fred Noonan, disappeared on July 2, 1937, somewhere near Nikumaroro Island in the western Pacific Ocean. Five years after successfully crossing the Atlantic on a solo flight at age 34, the airwoman was attempting to circumnavigate the globe along the equator.

from source : Time (By Erica HoMay 30, 2013)

More and picture here newsfeed.time.com...

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I couldn't discern an Electra from that shot but could very well be in the right place.Would solve the mystery finally.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by RUFFREADY

Saw this story on tv but my question is how can they say 'safely landed on island where she remained until she died a few days later' how do they know she didn't live for another 40 years? Amelia is always a good story though

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dianec
reply to post by RUFFREADY

Saw this story on tv but my question is how can they say 'safely landed on island where she remained until she died a few days later' how do they know she didn't live for another 40 years? Amelia is always a good story though

"They" don't (that's why I said so many stories of her over the years). I heard just the other night on a talk radio show "Ground zero" I believe, that she was in a Japanese prison camp for a few years (I forgot how many I was nodding out) and executed ...

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Here is CNN with a Vid of the recent find

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
A sonar image recorded last summer may show Amelia Earhart's plane
"It's the right size, it's the right shape, and it's in the right place," researchers say
The group says more investigation is needed

www.cnn.com...

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Don't get me started on her. One of my ancestors DID what Amelia TRIED to do, and yet NOBODY remembers her name....all they remember is Amelia's, because she went and got herself killed. Oh well....

My ancestor (Beryl Markham)

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 31-5-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Really interesting! I read about her and I agree!! Isn't it always like that though?

edit on 31-5-2013 by RUFFREADY because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Cool story but I don't know how anyone can see a plane in this pic

snf

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Thanks Gazrok. I just spent the last half hour reading about her. I enjoyed every bit of it also. A very accomplished and ballsy person. Thank you. Now I want to read the book. Even if her husband wrote it...

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Quite welcome. She was quite the character from all accounts.

Will still be interesting to put the mystery to rest though.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Don't get me started on her. One of my ancestors DID what Amelia TRIED to do, and yet NOBODY remembers her name....all they remember is Amelia's, because she went and got herself killed. Oh well....

Some highlights from the wikis which you seem to have missed:

Earhart died trying to fly around the world at approximately the equator in 1937.

Earhart was the first female pilot to successfully cross the Atlantic solo. She did so flying from the Newfoundland to Derry in 1932. She was also the first female to make the crossing in 1928, from Newfoundland to Wales, but not solo. Charles Lindbergh was of course the first overall solo flight having done so in 1927.

Your ancestor flew from Abingdon, England to Nova Scotia in 1936. She was the first woman to fly solo across the Atlantic from East to West, which is harder because it's flying into the wind. Scotsman Jim Mollison flew from Dublin to New Brunswick Canada in 1932 and so was the first person to cross East to West solo.

Just a guess, but it looks like the problem for your ancestor's fame was that by 1936 the newness of airplanes was wearing off and the public had other things on their mind, i.e. the specter of war was looming over Europe.
edit on 4-6-2013 by 11andrew34 because: correction - confused AE's two flights

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by 11andrew34

Just a guess, but it looks like the problem for your ancestor's fame was that by 1936 the newness of airplanes was wearing off and the public had other things on their mind, i.e. the specter of war was looming over Europe.

No real spilled milk about it. Aviation milestones were coming a mile a minute those days. No doubt it became routine, like the Apollo missions. The movie Apollo 13 really hits that home...how the public, by that time, wasn't even watching the missions on TV like they used to, until of course, the drama ensued.

I'm sure every family has those persons and things they are proud of. We still have a wine with the family name, a famous character actor (both same surname as Beryl's), and a Sheriff of Nottingham back in the family tree, hehe....

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 03:05 AM
link   
This article gives some new/additional information as well as some more photographs in conjunction with some items found on the island. Looks like the the mystery is coming to an end.

Recently unearthed photos could prove whether Amelia Earhart survived as a castaway on a remote Pacific island after her plane vanished more than 75 years ago
New photos taken about a year after her disappearance could prove whether Earhart survived after her plane went down and lived as a castaway on the island
The new photos, discovered by Matthew O'Sullivan, keeper of photographs at the New Zealand Air Force Museum in Christchurch, are aerial photos of the island taken in December of 1938, more than a year after Earhart's plane supposedly landed there.

The 45 photos - found in an unlabeled box containing a sheet of paper saying 'Gardner Island' - are part of a set of aerial obliques taken by a Supermarine Walrus launched from HMS Leander in support of the New Zealand Pacific Aviation Survey conducted as the British Navy was looking for possible Pacific landing strips for seaplanes, or even an airfield.

But...

What Gillespie and Discovery News fail to mention, however, is the fact that the island had residents long before the British Navy's 1938 attempt to colonize the island - although they weren't 'official' inhabitants. In fact, people had been living on the island as far back as 1915, when British entrepreneur John Arundel acquired a license to use the island to plant coconut trees.

As part of Arundel's project, 20 workers were brought to Gardner Island to run his coconut operation. They even built iron-roofed structures, which remained on the island even after a severe drought put an end to the project and the islanders were forced off.

Gardner Island had additional human contact prior to Earhart's flight when, in 1929, the SS Norwich City crashed into a reef off the island's northwest corner - likely the same reef where TIGHAR claims Earhart landed her plane.

More

new topics

top topics

join