It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rover radiation data poses manned Mars mission dilemma.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Nasa's Curiosity rover has confirmed what everyone has long suspected - that astronauts on a Mars mission would get a big dose of damaging radiation.

www.bbc.co.uk...

So it looks like at the moment it wouldn't be safe even to just go there and back for an career astronaut not including time on the actual planet itself.
So we need better propulsion systems to get us there quicker If we want to have a safe manned mission to Mars.
So hopefully this will help the propulsion scientists get more research cash and or a better understanding of radiation treatment/shielding both which will benefit mankind

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Well, all those people who signed up for the 1 way ticket to Mars sure are gonna be disappointed!

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Shielding using metal may not work, but what about creating a field (magnetic) around the craft to repel the nasty bits?

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

Like Star Trek? that blue bit on the enterprise at the front does something like that.
Make it so !!!!

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 10:11 PM
link   
So does that mean that scam artist charging money to submit a application for a one way trip to Mars will be reimbursing those people?

How long has Nasa had this data and did that billionaire already know it? It is not as though they release that information to the public immediately. How long before we heard about it, did they know? Did he (the phone guy) already know nobody was going to Mars - but still put out the proposal and scammed people out of money to submit an application? I hope those people who paid to be considered for the one way trip to Mars, do their research and find those answers out. Because if he knew that data before collecting that money - he should be brought up on criminal charges!

Cirque

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74

Like Star Trek? that blue bit on the enterprise at the front does something like that.
Make it so !!!!

Damn, I cant get a Patent then

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by CirqueDeTruth

Shouldn't the space station have revealed these problems? I find it hard to believe they only just found out.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Oook, soo they accomplished this radiation problem back in 1969 but they cant do this now?

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 10:17 PM
link   

The space station isn't very high up and is still protected by the Van Allen belt, you will get more radiation but not much more.
Deep space and the rad's shoot up.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Kaone

The moon landing was about 4 days there and back and at this time it would take 8 months to get to mars.

link   

link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk

Shouldn't the space station have revealed these problems? I find it hard to believe they only just found out.

Me too! It's too convenient.

Get the money and then break the news - oh, it's not possible. Sorry folks.

Which wouldn't be a big deal, if applicant's hadn't had to pay a submission fee. But since he did charge a submission fee, now it begs the question, did he already know he wouldn't have to pour money into that project, but still gladly accepted money from people who wanted to be considered for the project?

Cirque

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 10:20 PM
link   

The space station has more protection from the earths magnetic field. The farther away from earth you go, the more exposure, because you no longer have the protection of the earths magnetic field. Even though the earth's field wont stop the radiation, it offers some protection vs none at all.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by CirqueDeTruth

Me too! It's too convenient.

Get the money and then break the news - oh, it's not possible. Sorry folks.

Which wouldn't be a big deal, if applicant's hadn't had to pay a submission fee. But since he did charge a submission fee, now it begs the question, did he already know he wouldn't have to pour money into that project, but still gladly accepted money from people who wanted to be considered for the project?

Cirque

seriously????
WHO THE HELLHAS BEEN GETTING THESE SUBSCRIPTION FEES? please tell us cirque de absolute merde
edit on 30-5-2013 by Lagrimas because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   

How convenient for them, the real reason why they cant do this is because they dont have the technology to send people further then 400miles out. They would also face radiation problems which to this day NASA and the like dont know how to deal with. To this day they have a hard time sending them BELOW the van alen belts imagine whats outside of em.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by theRhenn

The space station has more protection from the earths magnetic field. The farther away from earth you go, the more exposure, because you no longer have the protection of the earths magnetic field. Even though the earth's field wont stop the radiation, it offers some protection vs none at all.

That kind of proves my point! YOU already knew radiation gets more intense the further out you go.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   

SO, . By this story, is it safe to assume that the Red Planet was once a Highly Evolved Civilization that discovered what Mutual Assured Destruction actually means.

Well, .. lets check the radiation levels in a couple of thousand years and maybe by then the Half-Life might have been reached.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kaone

How convenient for them, the real reason why they cant do this is because they dont have the technology to send people further then 400miles out. They would also face radiation problems which to this day NASA and the like dont know how to deal with. To this day they have a hard time sending them BELOW the van alen belts imagine whats outside of em.

Bold claims deserve links....

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 10:26 PM
link   

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   

What links do you need? How many women and men have gone even half way to the moon since the Apollo missions?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join