It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What If $10B Just "Appeared" In Your Bank Account? - Hear Me Out! :D

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 09:41 PM
link   
The scenario:

$10,000,000,000 has appeared in your bank account (having logged in online). You're of course shocked and don't believe it. That is, until you withdraw $300 from the ATM (your balance had actually been $5 available).

You being a good citizen, quickly alert your bank and an investigation is begun.You of course make local, national and international news - even more so, because, the investigation being completed, the bank and government investigators conclude that the money is literally "from nowhere", yet it is real and liquid. It is untraceable and it cannot be found where it has come from and it has been found to not have been a computer glitch or a malfunction. It is literally baffling and shocking - but real and liquid.

With that in mind, will you be allowed to keep it? Surely it's yours? Nobody's come to claim it (and has no legitimate claim to it) and it's not a computer glitch and it hasn't been transferred from anywhere...

What do you think?

Or is this scenario just too fantastical?

edit on 5/30/2013 by HomoSapiensSapiens because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I vaguely remember a story where this happened and the person was arrested despite not spending any of the money.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I dont get the point your making here.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by HomoSapiensSapiens

I think they will probably poof it out of there as fast as they proofed it into there. Oh you can make money out of thin air. Home loans only exist because of all the papers that you deal with during the closing, but unless you know how to make the non- existed money appear, like bankers... Well, I'm afraid you will be poofed.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   
If you cant prove how it got there they're gonna take it off you...and stick it in their own account.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I remember a lady in the UK finding over 30k in her bank account and she went and spent it in a week
then was arrested and ordered to pay it all back
In the small print of your bank account it will state that any money which you know shouldn't be there is to be reported.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by HomoSapiensSapiens
The scenario:

$10,000,000,000 has appeared in your bank account (having logged in online). You're of course shocked and don't believe it. That is, until you withdraw $300 from the ATM (your balance had actually been $5 available).

You being a good citizen, quickly alert your bank and an investigation is begun.You of course make local, national and international news - even more so, because, the investigation being completed, the bank and government investigators conclude that the money is literally "from nowhere", yet it is real and liquid. It is untraceable and it cannot be found where it has come from and it has been found to not have been a computer glitch or a malfunction. It is literally baffling and shocking - but real and liquid.

With that in mind, will you be allowed to keep it? Surely it's yours? Nobody's come to claim it (and has no legitimate claim to it) and it's not a computer glitch and it hasn't been transferred from anywhere...

What do you think?

Or is this scenario just too fantastical?

edit on 5/30/2013 by HomoSapiensSapiens because: (no reason given)

lol... interesting scenario...

"They"... would not let you keep it...

"they" would come up with some reason or excuse to take it away from you... They would call it a bank error or something along those lines and line their pockets with the error...

IF it came down to it... "they" would claim... It doesn't have your name on it... Its property of the government...

Money isn't yours to begin with... Its only on lone...

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 10:12 PM
link   

It reminds me of one of those Nigerian Money Transfers.

You know where you get a fax on your company fax machine that says they are an individual with a hundred million dollars and they just need a way to get it out of their country. They will give you a couple of million if you help them by transferring the money into your bank account. Incidentally if you help them you are going to go to prison for Money Laundering, Wire Fraud and a whole host of other Federal Charges.

I know because I was almost there.

What is real funny is that the money is Very Real. If you have never had a couple of million dollars it is almost enough to get you to try.

Anyways, I contacted the local authorities who then suggested that I contact the FBI. So I did. They said that there was No way that I could lay a finger on a penny of that money without serious consequences.

So when I read your post, that was the first thing i thought of. .. .. PRISON .. . .

EDIT:

P.S. .. and on a small personal note .. . If I found that kind of money in my bank account I would immediately run to a Tax Attorney and Amend my Last Years Tax Return.
edit on 30-5-2013 by ShadellacZumbrum because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Could you not leave it there for a while and pretend you didnt know? How much interest would you earn in a month off $10bn!!?

Report the $10bn, let them take it back and keep the $100k interest or how evervmuch it would be.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 10:20 PM
link   

surely you wont be able to spend, they will do anything in their power to keep it to themselves.

So knowing that i wont be able to keep the first thing ill do is calculate how many days i have until the FBI, CIA, IRS, BANKSTERS show up in my town and raid my house. I would say give them about a week or so minimum 3 bussiness days.

so since i have 3- 7 days to escape the country with 10B first thing ill do is wire transfer the money through different bank accounts. IF its seems to fail or take to long then i would quickly invest it on gold, land ect. then flee the country get as much as i can, because i know that the CIA would follow me around the world just to take me down, i mean 10Billion who wouldnt?

if all else seems to fail and i see them getting on my tail then my last option would be contacting the mafia, its the only way, besides the deals i would have to make with them and all that. So you gotta remember with 10B you can hire people that will defend you and do things for you without having to show up
edit on 30-5-2013 by Tlexlapoca because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 10:32 PM
link   
That is not a logical construct.

Any money that is in your bank account is money that has been transferred to your bank. If, one day, your account showed 10bln, and no one transferred money to your bank, then any of that balance you spend will be the bank’s money, not yours.

If there is truly 10bln in your account, then someone would have had to transfer 10bln into the possession of your bank, in your name.

They may not know where the people got it from, that transferred it to your bank, in your name, but they will know who made the last final step transfer to your bank.

If someone transferred it to your bank, in your name, and it has been shown to be done legally, and they don’t want it back, then it’s yours.

If there is no record of money transferred to your bank, and a computer glitch puts 10bln in your account, then it’s not yours, it belongs to your bank. If you try to spend it, it may actually bankrupt your bank because they will have to pay out 10bln, when they never have 10 bln come in in the first place.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I'll never have to worry about something like that happening to me
My luck, the little savings we have will disappear. Not the debt though

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 10:45 PM
link   
We prefer our anonymous donations to be made in unmarked hundred dollar bills and transported to our doorstep in a standard regulation issed briefcase(s).

Knock on the door twice, and just walk away.

Thank you in advance.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 11:09 PM
link   

I wouldn't tell the bank teller in the first place, I'd just let it ride out.

What I would do with the money would be keep a little for myself, enough to live off of for a couple of years and I would give the rest away. I'd give some to family members about a million or 2 apiece then the rest to charity.

I'd probably keep about 10 million for myself and make it last for as long as possible. I'd try to get rid of most of it as quickly as possible because I have seen what money does to the mind, and I don't want to be anything like that.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 11:17 PM
link   

There was a man who woke up with $200 million (can't remember the figure exactly) in his bank account, he took that money, stuck it in an account where he could make interest of it, he did, when the bank found out about the mistake they wanted the money back... The guy gave the money back to the bank and kept the interest... The bank was pissed and took him to court, but the court favored with the man and he was able to keep the interest...

Edit- found the story

story
edit on 30-5-2013 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I'd split it up into pieces and hire management teams over the pieces. Attorneys, accountants, a security group. They'd mess with it for taxes, investments, business things, and likely I'd establish a charitable foundation and stuff.

The investing part is complicated. Not sure how to describe the plans. I'd probably get into something science or tech, because I like it. It's ten billion but it's only ten billion, and after all the mess it probably only feels like three billion.

Then I'd get a few safe places to live, probably learn how to fly, get some education, and without choice a bunch of new people. Polish my look for the richy-poo magazines, and get some formal opinions for the world not the casual stuff I sling around ATS.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 11:45 PM
link   
I would transfer the money to an account in the Caymans and disappear like a puff of smoke. Then once I was safety out of the country I would really mess with the banks and this is how.

1. Hire a team of people to get the name and address of every citizen of America.
2. Send every person in America a check for one million dollars along with a note telling them to use it to try to get themselves out of debt.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

You might have a Big Heart but your Math Absolutely Sux.

Everyone in America is going to amount to 280000000 people Times a Million each.

That comes to:

$280000000000000.00

That is 280 Trillion Dollars.

I am afraid that your account is going to be Seriously Over Drawn.

EDIT:

P.S. .. Thanks for trying though, I would have really appreciated it.
edit on 31-5-2013 by ShadellacZumbrum because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 12:56 AM
link   
This requires knowledge of the world of high finance. Without it you don't stand a chance of keeping the funds. So unless you know how to do these things, good luck.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 06:26 AM
link   
I'd let the bank know and let them do as they wish with it, not mine and I dont care what happens to it, I dont want the grief that comes with the investigation that will assuredly follow

top topics

<<   2 >>

join