It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police put Florida teenager on chokehold for "looking at them the wrong way."

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by DeReK DaRkLy

Hand in your man card.

I mean...wow..threatened by the way someone looks at you...coward.

People really need to man up. If police think that civilians should bow down before them and watch how they look at them....they can kiss my ass. I will never and have never given anyone respect without them earning it.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by kerazeesicko

You know what they hate more? Laugh. Shake your head and laugh, then walk away.

I will almost guarantee you you will get a reaction.

CSB: Huntsville changed their attire regulations in maybe 2003 to allow beat cops to wear SWAT gear. So overnight, every traffic cop suddenly shows up in black subdued tactical gear and high-n-tights. I was at Rosie's and a 'z-team' of traffic cops comes busting in, hopping around like John Belushi in Animal House with steely glares and all tacticaled out. I thought they were SWAT at first, but I didn't recognize any of them, then I realized they were all low level street cops. We all started hoohawing.

GRRR! They came stomping over and wanted to know why we were "disturbing the peace", a code phrase for "if you laugh at us we will arrest you for no reason", so of course I mentioned that they must have forgotten their STABO rigs that morning. One of the other guys said "De Crustulorem Liber!" which they didn't get and weren't happy about when it was explained. Cops have very little sense of humor, when the joke's on them.

And of course, that's why they had to jump off their little three wheelers and run over to the scary 14 year old and his puppy and beat him down, because they weren't being knelt to. If they felt he was a threat, why did they leave their fast vehicles and run TO him?

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by VariableConstant

Way over the top, seems to me.

More than that....it is ASSAULT ON A MINOR. I hope the mother presses charges (after making a call to the ACLU for a free high-priced lawyer).

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   

I mean...wow..threatened by the way someone looks at you...coward.

No, cowardice would be running away from the situation, not engaging.

If you and I were in a bar, and I kept giving you the "evil eye" or "mad-dogging" you, you'd just ignore that, or would you ask me what my problem was?

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   

If you and I were in a bar, and I kept giving you the "evil eye" or "mad-dogging" you, you'd just ignore that, or would you ask me what my problem was?

I realize this question wasn't for me, but I usually ignore the drunk that is staring. They mean nothing to me and a confrontation usually leads to trouble. If they get touchy-feely, then they have crossed a boundary that may require action.
I try to be as reserved as possible because, like I said, their life means nothing to me, so why interact with them when it will just lead to trouble. I had a guy break a pool cue on the back of my head once and he apologized and bought me a drink without me needing to take hold of him.
Quiet is always better.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by rival
What....exactly....is a dehumanizing stare...?

A Jedi mind trick...?

I say the answer is A. Jedi mind trick. Why, because that kid had the force in him before the cop pull a Steve Austin move him.

Now on the real note, I know exactly the look that kid gave that officer. "What the muck you gonna do" look. It is the look of " I don't fear you" attitude and that habit needs to break quickly from these kids. If the officer tells you to stop horseplaying in the water because an accident could happen..well stop doing it and move on.
edit on 31-5-2013 by sylent6 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Easy answer..ignore you..I figure if you got a problem with me...you would step up and do something. If not...keep staring...cuz I ain't gonna get any prettier...

edit on 31-5-2013 by kerazeesicko because: I CAN

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I hope the kid has good legal council.

Miami cops have a brutal reputation and have well documented cases of corruption. The legal system in Florida is a racketeering/slavery scheme. I am not surprised the judge sided with the police, that may change now that this is a national story.

The kid needs good legal council because often in cases like this they will agree to drop all charges if the kid goes on probation for a year(a way for the state to make money) and write a letter of apology to the cop who arrested him. The letter of apology will prevent the kid's family from suing the police after the charges are dropped.

I wish the teen in his family well because they have an expensive uphill battle, even with this making headlines.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by sylent6
If the officer tells you to stop horseplaying in the water because an accident could happen..well stop doing it and move on.

The real question is - is that a lawful order by statute? The cop doesn't get to make up # as he goes, he's supposed to enforce laws. Not make them. Is there an order against horseplay? Other than, of course, some mopery law that should be taken away from cops anyway.

eta: it sounds like the cops were mistaken about a fight, then were embarrassed and had to take action to "control the situation". You act the way you train, unfortunately.

etaa: when we first moved the business to Florida, we were out trotting down the beach road one morning when a local cop instructed us we were to pick up and bag garbage someone had thrown out on the verge. We politely informed him it was not our garbage, which he knew because he had sat there and watched us chugging that way from a half mile off, it was not our property and was on city right of way anyway, it was not a lawful order, and at any rate there was no protective equipment. He informed is "I'm the law and I'm giving you an order, so it's a lawful order". Alas for him, that proved to be so very untrue, when our attorney called the city and thanked them for his opportunity to take them to federal court for his very first opportunity to defend someone's 13th amendment rights. It turns out "lawful order" has a very limited definition. Which they all got to relearn, at length, since they didn't seem to know that.

Seriously, if it was just up to some beach cop to decide when 'horseplay' is illegal, why don't they run up into a high school football game and issue a few lawful orders for them to stop hitting each other?Answer - they can't. They don't have that authority.
edit on 31-5-2013 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

I once had a cop tell me he was going to arrest me because I didn't swim in when whistled by a lifeguard. Mind you I have been an ocean lifeguard since '99 and clearly a very strong swimmer.

Bad cops lie and tell makes outrageous claims to citizens all the time. I have no obligation to obey an unlawful order.

Needless to say that cop was fired a week later. Our system is far from perfect but it is still functional and as long as there are citizens who aren't afraid to stand up for our rights this country will remain great.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Well as these unjustifiable attacks on the public by police seem to be occurring nationwide why not even a mention of this serious problem in Washington?I guess its open season on women,children,the elderly and disabled,many of which are archived here.This cannot continue without repercussions...

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   
WHY???????...??....SO THE BEACH POLICE CAN LOOK GOOD TO THE GIRLS ON THE BEACH??.....AND WHAT IS A DEHUMANIZING STARE???.....UNLESS IS THE SAME AS #T LOOKING....I DONT KNOW IM CONFUSE....

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

This system of defacto martial law came into effect after the civil war.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

I try to be as reserved as possible because, like I said, their life means nothing to me, so why interact with them when it will just lead to trouble.

Of course it could lead to trouble, which is why normal people don't stare down the cops like they want to pick a fight. If someone is stupid enough to behave this way, then the police will naturally wonder why this person is behaving aggressively, what their intentions are, and whom they might try to harm.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Easy answer..ignore you..I figure if you got a problem with me...you would step up and do something. If not...keep staring...cuz I ain't gonna get any prettier...

And doing this to a cop is asking for trouble because it shows signs of possible mental/emotional instability.
Were the cops "afraid" of him? I doubt it. Concerned about the intentions of his aggressive stance? Obviously.

Was the kid out of line? Probably. Did the cops overreact? Maybe.
In a perfect world people would treat each other with total respect. Unfortunately, this isn't that world.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Our society is losing its abilty to tolerate deviation. I'm telling you, our technology and insecurities are causing us to eliminate elements that make us unsettled or uncomfortable.

If you're not in then you're out. You're mainstream or you're crazy.

I think part of the problem is our media. They sensationalize so often. This creates generations of people who're fearful. It feeds on our vulnerabilities like an addiction does. In the past, we needed more fear to survive in the wild, but is that as important nowadays? And the people who like to gang up in large crowds and riot are in heaven. Never before have they been able to do it so easily.

I'd also blame special interests having the power to mold peoples minds on TV and in politics. We really forget the power of movies and advertisements and government and so on.

I think people forget that evolution is not a perfect thing. It produced genes that made us have big appetites. In the modern world, this appetite gene has backfired and created obesity. No longer do we have to survive long winter months or famine by relying on our fat stores. I wonder how many other genes or complex dynamics are working against us? I don't dare fathom the implications. This is actually tremendously complex and it'll strike at us before we can understand it.
edit on 31-5-2013 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   
When an incident like this happens I think the cops involved need a drug test immediately and make sure the test includes steroids. Many people refuse to believe it, but steroid use amongst cops is a problem and steroids are not tested for in typical drug test, i.e. the military will only test someone for steroids if the suspect, they are not tested for in random screenings.

If I happen to get in a car accident and end up in the hospital my blood will be tested and if I have trace amounts of anything, including THC I will be charged with a crime. It would only be fair in the police faced the same kind of tests, especially after an incident where it appears there may have been excessive force in an arrest.

Who am I kidding, they are above the law and can get away with murder and I am a simple peasant who has to careful, obey the law, and not find myself in the wrong situation or I could get executed or arrested and forced into slavery if I can't afford a lawyer.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bedlam

If the officer tells you to stop horseplaying in the water because an accident could happen..well stop doing it and move on.

The real question is - is that a lawful order by statute? The cop doesn't get to make up # as he goes, he's supposed to enforce laws. Not make them. Is there an order against horseplay? Other than, of course, some mopery law that should be taken away from cops anyway.

eta: it sounds like the cops were mistaken about a fight, then were embarrassed and had to take action to "control the situation". You act the way you train, unfortunately.

etaa: when we first moved the business to Florida, we were out trotting down the beach road one morning when a local cop instructed us we were to pick up and bag garbage someone had thrown out on the verge. We politely informed him it was not our garbage, which he knew because he had sat there and watched us chugging that way from a half mile off, it was not our property and was on city right of way anyway, it was not a lawful order, and at any rate there was no protective equipment. He informed is "I'm the law and I'm giving you an order, so it's a lawful order". Alas for him, that proved to be so very untrue, when our attorney called the city and thanked them for his opportunity to take them to federal court for his very first opportunity to defend someone's 13th amendment rights. It turns out "lawful order" has a very limited definition. Which they all got to relearn, at length, since they didn't seem to know that.

Seriously, if it was just up to some beach cop to decide when 'horseplay' is illegal, why don't they run up into a high school football game and issue a few lawful orders for them to stop hitting each other?Answer - they can't. They don't have that authority.
edit on 31-5-2013 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

Horseplay can cause accidents to happen, if its legal or not. Its a safety hazard so yea..a peace officer tells you to stop horseplaying in public because it possess a risk of injury then do it. That's not making up any law, thats common sense.

Now if the officer decides to put his hands on the boy because he gave him a dirty look then, the officer needs to be taken back in to the shed and be dealt.

You can kiss that "protect and serve" right out the windows, times are changing and everyone has to put up with it until we are fed up which most are not..yet.

We have seen police brutality how many times on the news, here and anywhere else and yet no one is stepping up the plate to do anything about it and until then....yea cops will make there own rules as they please until WE change that for them.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeReK DaRkLy
reply to post by butcherguy

I try to be as reserved as possible because, like I said, their life means nothing to me, so why interact with them when it will just lead to trouble.

Of course it could lead to trouble, which is why normal people don't stare down the cops like they want to pick a fight. If someone is stupid enough to behave this way, then the police will naturally wonder why this person is behaving aggressively, what their intentions are, and whom they might try to harm.

I can ignore an adult staring at me, but a cop can't be expected to tolerate it? They have to use the choke hold?

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Horseplay can cause accidents to happen, if its legal or not. Its a safety hazard so yea..a peace officer tells you to stop horseplaying in public because it possess a risk of injury then do it. That's not making up any law, thats common sense.

ANYTHING can cause accidents to happen. From kite-flying to running on the beach to playing tennis, football, volleyball, you name it.

You play volleyball, or at least have seen people playing volleyball on the beach, right? Causes injuries all the time. Especially broken and dislocated fingers.

I think the only reason it was an issue this time (14 year olds, for God's sake...) was that the cops decided it was a fight. Then found out it wasn't, and HAD to make an issue out of it because they were wrong, and were embarrassed.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join