It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

THIS JUST IN, Retirement checks is SSI

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I was talking to a friends g/f not to long ago and she didn't know that retirement is actually social security. All those people who trash those on SSI must not have realized how many family members they are actually taking care of through taxes.

Didn't Hitler want to to get rid of the old. He probably knew in the future people wasn't going to be very happy helping other people. As most would rather fund b/s that does nothing but waste there money. It's sort of like. I'd rather throw 10 dollars in the trash then to help some homeless man whose parents ran out on him left him to fend for himself and never gave him a chance to succeed.

Most people don't know what the story is they just know that guy or gal is getting a govt check. As soon as they had to walk 2 ft in that persons shoes they'd commit suicide. Generally the loudest mouth in the room is the most mentally weak.

When were on topics like this where it's almost impossible to get angry mob together and still be for the right cause.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by XsweetNspiceyX

Star & Flag! The star for your thread and the flag for your avatar

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Well, I'd tend to agree and point out the elephant in the room.

Social Security has two distinct and very different sides to it. The Retirement which will be Trillion dollar level in the near future ...and the disability side which is often complained about but the numbers might come as somewhat surprising in context.

The absolute 3rd rail, terminal political topic is the attack on Social Sec Retirement or...the baby boomers whose vote can make or break them. So...I suppose no reform will be coming to the really high dollar side while the benefit side will get hacked, as usually seems to happen.

(Projection levels and timelines for my chart above have changed a bit as the assumed numbers have changed from when I made it off 2013 Budget numbers last year)

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   

This isn't really news, except maybe to the uneducated.

But isn't SS supposed to be in the red by 2020? Maybe it was 2030...I'll have to look that up. The Government has been dipping into that pot for quite awhile and issuing IOUs.

Younger folk had better get their personal finances straight because more than likely there won't be any checks in the mail for them come retirement age...which will more than likely be 75 at the current rate things are going.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 06:28 PM
link   

No....not all retirement checks are from SSI...My Mother is retired and receives a monthly check from her 401K which she contributed to for many years. She also paid into SSI but because she has more than most because of her 401K she is not allowed to draw from SSI. She also is very active in her community devoting many hours to Meals on Wheels....in her church...and contributes to a number of organizations that help people.

She never had anyone give her anything...she went to work....I remember her working two full time jobs during the week....and a third part time job on the weekends to help my brother and I get through school. So no retirement checks are not SSI for everyone. Remember as well that many companies have retirement funds for employees so again no retirement checks are not SSI.

Since everyone that works pays into SSI they should receive help...those who do not contribute...do not work...etc should receive help but should have to volunteer their services in return or go to work. I have no issue with helping people out of a whole but I do have issues supporting someone just because they got a raw deal...pick yourself up and get back in life....too many churches that help...and other government services available to just check out.

The bottom line is you are wrong in believing that those who receive a retirement check is getting it from the government...many worked and saved for many years to be able to retire.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

I can tell you Social Security is outright listed as a liability and line item expense in the U.S. Federal Budget. No lock box withdrawal and no special funds. It's a year by year, rolling total drawn from and adding to overall Fed Spending.

That's the Spreed sheet version of the entire US budget, as cropped and sorted to show the top couple dozen line items by cost. Notice #1 across the entire Government, as a whole? It wasn't supposed to be that way. They were supposed to be holding and building interest on that money...but since they used it to pay other things and benefits as well? Ponzi Scheme seems fitting to describe it, eh?

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by DJMSN

Another thing that I have a problem with is when people hear that you are retired, they automatically think that you are rich. It just isn't so. Most retirees live on a fixed income. They have to know how to budget their money.

But then again...that's why they are retired maybe.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Why would anyone trash Social Security? We all pay into it and it's not an entitlement program.

People are stupid.

Now, the case has been and still is being made that the entire system is fail and should be scrapped overtime because clearly the gov't can't run anything efficiently without going into massive debt and last I heard they left a lot of IOU's in the Social Security coffers.
edit on 30-5-2013 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by DJMSN

She also paid into SSI but because she has more than most because of her 401K she is not allowed to draw from SSI.

She is allowed to draw upon Social Security retirement benefits if she is old enough. A 401k has no bearing on the ability to do that. She may be electing to wait until and older age to get larger SS retirement checks though, which is pretty smart if you can manage it.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   
nevermind lol
edit on 30-5-2013 by MrWendal because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I figured the difference was the dates, the 1st for disability and the 3rd for retirement. If with everything happening today people seriously want retirement money, they had better start saving now, its not like the warning signs arent there.

I still find it fascinating that people spend as they go as if everyday they dont get a bit older. Oh well, there will be a day when that check doesnt come for anyone, no matter what date it is.

Peace, NRE.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Every few years I get an update from Social Security outlining HOW MUCH MONEY I HAVE PAID INTO SOCIAL SECURITY. Based on that amount, they then tell me how much retirement I HAVE EARNED and how it can be paid out depending on my retirement age. Nobody gets retirement that they have not paid into the system.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by XsweetNspiceyX
I was talking to a friends g/f not to long ago and she didn't know that retirement is actually social security.

Ummmm....

Let's do a test....

Both you and your friends girlfriend are under 30 (hopefully under 20) and or Obama / Democratic supporters?

Guess right?

edit on 30-5-2013 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-5-2013 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Great thread.

I think retirement -- as a concept -- is something for 1 or 2 privileged generations. The majority of people will never "retire" in the way our parents and grandparents did. The cost of living today is simply too high to allow for complete retirement, a second home / RV or what have you.

I'm worried about my kids, but I am even more worried about those who were turning 40 or so in 2008, and who lost a significant chunk of their 401K / IRA when the market tanked, and also lost their jobs to lay-off's / outsourcing. They don't have enough time to "catch up," nor will they see much Social Security, thanks to 35 years of Grand Theft Congress.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

Actually it is an entitlement program. You paid into it, therefore you are entitled to it, hence the name entitlement.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Doesn't this belong in the rant section?

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by XsweetNspiceyX
I was talking to a friends g/f not to long ago and she didn't know that retirement is actually social security. All those people who trash those on SSI must not have realized how many family members they are actually taking care of through taxes.

Didn't Hitler want to to get rid of the old. He probably knew in the future people wasn't going to be very happy helping other people. As most would rather fund b/s that does nothing but waste there money. It's sort of like. I'd rather throw 10 dollars in the trash then to help some homeless man whose parents ran out on him left him to fend for himself and never gave him a chance to succeed.

Most people don't know what the story is they just know that guy or gal is getting a govt check. As soon as they had to walk 2 ft in that persons shoes they'd commit suicide. Generally the loudest mouth in the room is the most mentally weak.

When were on topics like this where it's almost impossible to get angry mob together and still be for the right cause.

Your Avatar's hot.... lol damn I like the new Harley look.

But in regards to your OP, I agree only to a certain extent.

I have no problem funding the needy, too old/too young, homeless, society rejects looking for a second chance, etc. etc. I really have no issues with putting my tax dollars there.

However, in my opinion, those who are receiving these government funding and/or aids of any kind, should not be allowed to vote.

I know it sounds unfair and crazy but the reality of it is, humans are easily corruptible. Once you have enough people sitting on welfare checks comfortably, they needn't contribute to society any longer.

It's one of the reasons the friggin' Democratic party always wins by manipulating the poor crowd. Vote for me!!! And I shall continue to issue your EDD checks for another year.....

A very close friend of mine, intentionally did not seek for employment for a period of 2 and a half years. He is in his late 20's, perfectly healthy, no disabilities whatsoever, got EDD for 6 months then extended it for a period of 2 years.

So, as you can see from real life experiences I mentioned above, tax dollars being spent to help people isn't a bad thing but when it becomes less and less regulated, we're just literally feeding the lazy not the needy.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

No it went bankrupt in 2010:

For the first time in its history the Social Security program will pay out more money than it takes in.

But to address the OP. I'm a little confused and worried that this person in your life doesnt know or understand the source of her payments. Retirement benefits can come from a variety of sources.

There are countless valid arguments against the government forcibly taking money from you now in order to return it to you (if at all) with a fraction of its value sometime in the future.

Even you must realize that the government is incredibly inefficient, wasteful and corrupt.

edit on 31-5-2013 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

Thanks for that. I just heard this morning that it will totally be insolvent come 2033. They just keep changing the numbers and dates and hope that we forget the last time they reported it.

top topics

join