It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top 10 scariest or creepiest things people have seen and heard according to Reddit users

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 07:09 AM
link   
My son LOVES the Slenderman stuff, him and his cousins are constantly making slenderman videos with their ipods

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 07:21 AM
link   
The one with the writing under the wallpaper was creepy as #$%^. I would have to move if I found something like that in my house.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 07:27 AM
link   
I posted this in another thread, which incidentally is also full of great creepy stories. You can find the thread here : Creepy Forest Stories
This is by far the creepiest thing I have had someone tell me about.

Originally posted by tport17
This occurrence didn't happen to me, but to my grandmother. It would have taken place in the 1930's. My grandmother was a young teen at the time and she lived with her mother and five siblings in an old house in the middle of the woods. The area was the Ozark Mountains in southern Missouri. I had heard bits and pieces of stories from when they lived in the Ozarks, but it was always kept hush hush.

When I got to be about 12 or 13 I pestered my grandmother enough that she finally told me one thing that happened to her while living in the Ozark Mountains.

My grandmother had got into a fight with her mother. She took off into the woods all day to get away from her for a while. When it got dark she decided to come home. When she got home, the doors were locked and everyone was in bed. There was an old cot sitting outside the house and she decided to just sleep on the cot until morning.

In the morning when she woke up, there was some creature sitting at the end of the cot. It has been 15 years since I have heard this story, and she only told me once, so my memory is a little fuzzy. I remember she said it was really ugly and had a full set of sharp teeth. It was shaped like a person but didn't look like a person. She said that it just sat there and smiled at her with its abnormally large mouth of sharp teeth. When she started to get up from the cot to get away, it would start to get up and move towards her. When she would sit back down, it would sit back down. She sat there staring at it for a few seconds and it continued to sit and smile at her. The creature was sitting between her and the front door. She finally jumped up and made a run for the back door.

When she got to the back door it was locked but her mother was in the kitchen making biscuits. She was banging on the door screaming to be let in and her mother told her to go around to the front because her hands were covered in dough. My grandmother screamed she couldn't and was frantic enough that her mother ran to let her in.

She told her mother what she had seen. She had my grandmother's two brothers take the cot out to the woods and chop it up and burn it.

My grandmother died in 2001 and took a lot of the stories with her. None of them ever wanted to talk about the things that happened out there. A few stories from her brothers have been told but they took place inside of the house.

This story has always scared the heck out of me. I don't know if this creature was actually connected to the cot or if it was something from the woods. My grandmother was such a serious person and she was visibly scared when she told me. I have never heard of anything like it.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Great Topic.......Have really enjoyed reading all the scary stories, I dig this kind of stuff!!! Thank you OP for bringing back a few memorable stories.

My mother is one of the kindest, gentlest souls on Earth. Never drank, smoked, swore I mean really, just the salt of the earth. However, she is a little freaky at times. Let me set this up for you because you will need the background for both stories. My parents bought a really cool house when I was in my late teens. I never lived there but, did stay there a few times while I was home on leave. It was very unique in the fact that it had a hallway that was longer than a bowling alley. There was nothing on one side of it, just a wall as that was the back of the house. All the bedrooms were on the left and there was another hallway leading to the Master Bedroom. Everything wrapped around around a private courtyard, accessable thru the Master Bedroom and the Kitchen. Now remember, Mom is a little freaky, she just has her little moments when she "KNOWS THINGS" she is a church goer and I have witnessed her speaking in what Catholics call "Speaking in Tongues." My father was a firefighter so he was away for 24 hours plus at a time.

Part 1.
Mom would tell me stories about weird stuff in the house. A curio cabinet filled with precious moments. Every Freaking day one and only one (same one) would be facing backwards. every morning! The long hallway I told you about had 3 closets with large sliding doors on them. Whenever there was turmoil in the family (my brother lived there) The closet doors would be open in the morning. The fireplace would light all by itself (gas) and be on in the morning. Just really wierd stuff and if it didn't come from Mom, I would explain it away. So, she names "her friend" Stella. I asked why Stella and she looks at me and says "that's what she told me her name was in my dreams." So..........Mom wakes up in the middle of the night because someone was knocking on the Courtyard glass doors that lead to the bedroom. Just 3 knocks, however, loud enough to wake her. she looks outside...nothing. Crawls back in Bed after looking at the clock (4:13 a.m.). Same thing, 3 knocks, no one there. One last time, 3 knocks, no one there. She peacefully went back to sleep only to receive a phone call early that morning that her Aunt had died. About a month later, the same freaking thing happened, 3 knocks on the glass, first one at 4:13 a.m. followed by it occuring 2 more times. Early the next morning she gets a call that her Brother in Law had died. Not 2 weeks later.........Same exact scenario.....4:13 a.m. 3 knocks 3 times no one there. She never went back to bed... She waited on the phone call. Sure enough, my Aunt called her a couple hours later to tell her that her mother had died sometime thru the night. All my Mom said was......"Yes, I know!"

Part 2...... Now, you take all this with a grain of salt because you don't live there, you have never witnessed anything. Well!!!!!!!!!!!! I am home on leave from some distant country. My Dad was on duty and my mother was on a retreat for the weekend. My Brother lived there with them. My brother was and is not a nice person.... And... according to both Mom and my brother, "STELLA" did not like him.....AT ALL!

So, I had stopped at the fire Station and visited with my Dad and several of te men that had watched me grow up. Stopped at the local watering hole to catch up with a few of my High School buddies (remember when the drinking age was 18 and there was 3.2 beer) It was dark, maybe a little after 9 p.m. I pull in the driveway of my parents house and there, sitting on a large pile of stones in the driveway. (My parents were redoing the courtyard, so they had pea gravel delivered) was my Brother in a pair of shorts and only apair of shorts holding a shotgun! next to him was some girl he had brought over and she was wearing even less! Moral of the story... the rule was.... No guests over while my parents were not home. My Brother broke the rule (of course) and evidently "STELLA" enforced the rule. I walked in the house.... Fireplace lit, and the closet doors down the long hallway, and I am talking all 6 doors were shaking violently. I hit the switch on the fireplace to shut it off and immediately the doors stopped shaking! My brother refused to go back in the house.....To be honest, i spent the night in the Red Roof Inn myself........ I am witness..... weird stuff!

Tez

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by thedeadtruth

The freakiest thing that ever happened to me, I can never repeat. But lets say it made two other morticians quit that day.

Oh, no, no, no no, no....you can't come in here to the "top ten scariest things" thread, say something like that and then just....leave. Uh-uh! That's just not fair. It may be morning where I am at the moment but the things I've read so far in viewing this thread are going to leave me sleepless tonight anyway, so......spill it! And don't blame me for bugging you because you brought it up in the first place.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 07:47 AM
link   

They really don't take any of that into consideration .
*ahem*
But if it works for you ,well ok .

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Ah please share! why they quit what happened??

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by tport17

Makes me think of The Hills Have Eyes. Like there's an entire family of those things out in the woods.
*shudders*

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   
hrmm, a lot of those read like urban legends.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by CoherentlyConfused

The freakiest thing that ever happened to me, I can never repeat. But lets say it made two other morticians quit that day.

Oh, no, no, no no, no....you can't come in here to the "top ten scariest things" thread, say something like that and then just....leave. Uh-uh! That's just not fair. It may be morning where I am at the moment but the things I've read so far in viewing this thread are going to leave me sleepless tonight anyway, so......spill it! And don't blame me for bugging you because you brought it up in the first place.

I agree! Spill the beans!! Great thread, I have read every single page, right up my street!

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by CoherentlyConfused

Right ?!

*waves fist*
Tell is the story that made guys who tip toe thru entrails daily ,flee like little girlies .

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 07:58 AM
link   
The car accident and crayon stories are creepy as hell!
I have one that creeps me out, and sends shivers down my spine everytime I think of it.
My best friend has these extremely vivid dreams, and when he does he usually tells me about them.
I’m like “ok, that’s weird” or “that sounds cool” but one dream stands out and still freaks me out whenever I imagine it.

Apparently in this dream he went about his business and at some point during his dream he became conscious and thought to himself “Oh this is cool, I'm dreaming”.
So he somehow manages to disconnect himself from his ‘dreamself’ and starts following himself around in third person view like a hidden voyager.
At some point his 'dreamself' is having a conversation with someone. He sees this from a bit afar looking down on himself and the other mysterious figure.
He has no idea who this other person is and he gets this creepy vibe from him as he curiously zooms in to get a better look at the face.
He had spend his dream moving about as a hidden witness with no one aware of his presence. So almost completely zoomed in he tries to get a better glimpse of the mysterious figures face, as he does it quickly turns its head around staring directly into his eyes with the most evil intent. He starts panicking and wakes up screaming something like "NOOOO!!, I'll kill you"

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zotor
99% of that stuff sounds like urban legends, urban legends like this are perpetuated by liars who don't have any good stories first-hand, so they tell a story they heard second-hand and claim it happened to them first-hand to get attention. Everytime I hear a story like this I ask the person details, what, when, why, what color, how, etc, 99% of the time they can't answer because they ripped it off from an unreliable source. I can do better w/ personal stories but wouldn't want to jumble them together w/ these urban myths. I've heard a few of these 15 years ago, proving they aren't legit.

possibly ..

till

it

happens to you personally ..

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 08:24 AM
link   
#10: Hunter, and #9: The Accident is pretty hair raising.

I would like to add this - copied from another thread, my personal experience.

A 6 yr old girl living near where i used to live when i was younger(around 7-8), it was small town houses type of area. Anyway this girl fell from 12 step stairs and was in hospital, we went to visit her, when all of us asked what happened..

she said "the old man with no eyes pushed me down"....

Our parents discussed it and kept the kids out of the loop, but 3-4 yrs after we learned the truth about that incident...we learned that an old lonely, mean guy who used to live in the same house died a very sad, unnatural death 10 yrs ago,.... he was blind.

edit on 5/31/2013 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Lady_Tuatha

I'm sorry but most of these stories sound like "Urban Tales"..

Especially the "Babysitter" story.

A swat team wouldn't arrive in 5 minutes.

Does anyone know how long it take to assemble a swat team?

Colombine shooting was the reason most of the USA went to first officers on seen engage the bad guys, because by the time the swat teams are assembled and on seen bad stuff has already happened.

Peace out,

RT
edit on 31-5-2013 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Scariest things I've seen ... Democratic Underground and Morning Joe ....
YIKES!

Seriously though ... creepiest thing I've experienced was the building I worked in while living in Japan. It was haunted .. but it had evil spooks .... not your every day garden variety ghosts. These things HATED the Americans who were there. When one was next to you in the building, you didn't see it, but you could feel hate oozing from it. It was tangible and it was very real.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   

The babysitter one is creepy as hell but 100% made up.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Wacky waving inflatable arm flailing slenderman

edit on 30/5/2013 by kingears because: (no reason given)

Hahaha brilliant

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   
This one from the OP's link really gave me the heebie jeebies. Maybe it's because I used to take long walks at night in large cities (the stupidity of youth). But the way the following witness describes the man's creeping long strides, his erratic behavior, crouching, and running really gave me goosebumps:

About five years ago I lived downtown in a major city in the US. I've always been a night person, so I would often find myself bored after my roommate, who was decidedly not a night person, went to sleep. To pass the time, I used to go for long walks and spend the time thinking...
It was a Wednesday, somewhere between one and two in the morning, and I was walking near a police patrolled park quite a ways from my apartment. It was a quiet night, even for a week night, with very little traffic and almost no one on foot. The park, as it was most nights, was completely empty.
I turned down a short side street in order to loop back to my apartment when I first noticed him. At the far end of the street, on my side, was the silhouette of a man, dancing. It was a strange dance, similar to a waltz, but he finished each "box" with an odd forward stride. I guess you could say he was dance-walking, headed straight for me.
Deciding he was probably drunk, I stepped as close as I could to the road to give him the majority of the sidewalk to pass me by. The closer he got, the more I realized how gracefully he was moving. He was very tall and lanky, and wearing an old suit. He danced closer still, until I could make out his face. His eyes were open wide and wild, head tilted back slightly, looking off at the sky. His mouth was formed in a painfully wide cartoon of a smile. Between the eyes and the smile, I decided to cross the street before he danced any closer.
I took my eyes off of him to cross the empty street. As I reached the other side, I glanced back... and then stopped dead in my tracks. He had stopped dancing and was standing with one foot in the street, perfectly parallel to me. He was facing me but still looking skyward. Smile still wide on his lips.
?I was completely and utterly unnerved by this. I started walking again, but kept my eyes on the man. He didn't move.
Once I had put about half a block between us, I turned away from him for a moment to watch the sidewalk in front of me. The street and sidewalk ahead of me were completely empty. Still unnerved, I looked back to where he had been standing to find him gone. For the briefest of moments I felt relieved, until I noticed him. He had crossed the street, and was now slightly crouched down. I couldn't tell for sure due to the distance and the shadows, but I was certain he was facing me. I had looked away from him for no more than 10 seconds, so it was clear that he had moved fast.
I was so shocked that I stood there for some time, staring at him. And then he started moving toward me again. He took giant, exaggerated tip toed steps, as if he were a cartoon character sneaking up on someone. Except he was moving very, very quickly.
I'd like to say at this point I ran away or pulled out my pepper spray or my cellphone or anything at all, but I didn't. I just stood there, completely frozen as the smiling man crept toward me.
And then he stopped again, about a car length away from me. Still smiling his smile, still looking to the sky.
When I finally found my voice, I blurted out the first thing that came to mind. What I meant to ask was, "What the # do you want?!" in an angry, commanding tone. What came out was a whimper, "What the fuu…?"
Regardless of whether or not humans can smell fear, they can certainly hear it. I heard it in my own voice, and that only made me more afraid. But he didn't react to it at all. He just stood there, smiling.
And then, after what felt like forever, he turned around, very slowly, and started dance-walking away. Just like that. Not wanting to turn my back to him again, I just watched him go, until he was far enough away to almost be out of sight. And then I realized something. He wasn't moving away anymore, nor was he dancing. I watched in horror as the distant shape of him grew larger and larger. He was coming back my way. And this time he was running.
I ran too.
I ran until I was off of the side road and back onto a better lit road with sparse traffic. Looking behind me then, he was nowhere to be found. The rest of the way home, I kept glancing over my shoulder, always expecting to see his stupid smile, but he was never there.
I lived in that city for six months after that night, and I never went out for another walk. There was something about his face that always haunted me. He didn't look drunk, he didn't look high. He looked completely and utterly insane. And that's a very, very scary thing to see.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pineapples101

Excellent thread!
More! I demand more!

Ha ha!

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join