It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top 10 scariest or creepiest things people have seen and heard according to Reddit users

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Some great stories here.

In the 80s when I was about aged ten I was very interested in the paranormal and received a book one birthday which covered everything from ghosts to ufos. I was really surprised to find a story pertaining to the village where I lived, which recalled the following story of a young man who committed suicide because he believed he was changing into a werewolf:

books.google.com.ph... n&sa=X&ei=zjGoUebOGMPSiwKZmIGgCg&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=eccleshall%20werewolf&f=false

I immediately took the book to school and showed friends. It wasn't long until I was called into the headmaster's office and asked to take the book home and never mention the story again in school. He said members of the young man's family attended the school and it would be embarrassing if the whole school found out about it.

I had no idea who the relatives of Andrew could be but friends and I speculated and somebody got the truth from a parent who it was - the nephew was in my year and his sister a year above.

Years later I became friends with the nephew in high school so I asked him about it. He was only a baby when it happened so only knew what his mother had told him that he had committed suicide in the public toilets in the village centre, believing he was turning into a werewolf.

Fast forward a year, one cold night in winter and a group of about ten of us - including the nephew and niece of Andrew - were hanging around the village streets with not much to do. One of the lads suggested we could go for a smoke in the public toilets where we could put the hand dryer on to keep warm. It was pitch black inside, except for our lighters. We were pretty crammed in there, just chatting and laughing. Suddenly there was this horrible growling noise from inside one of the cubicles. The girls in the group completely freaked out and rushed outside. Us lads presumed it was one of us who had made the noise just to scare the girls. We followed outside where the girls were consoling the crying niece of Andrew. She had three bloody lines across the back of her hand, like claw marks.

If one of us had made the growling noise nobody admitted it. The next day a few of us went back to take a look on the walls or see if anything which could have made the scratch marks on her hand. There was nothing we could find.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 12:52 AM
link   
I have quite a few to share. I can also share some of my families experiences. I remember my mother and grandmother would often hark of tales that my grandmothers parents would tell her. I often asked about these experiences and was told that our family has had close ties with the paranormal. By ties, I mean experiences.

The first one I'd like to share is one where my brother and I were in his room playing the Playstation with a friend of ours. We were having a good time, I don't recall the game but I think it was Wip3out. That's when all three of us heard my mother call for my brother by name. He was about to get up thinking she needed help with something.

Now that in itself isn't scary. The scary part is, she was on vacation and had been gone for about three days and us three boys were the only ones home. As I said, my brother was about to get up before his face turned white and we all looked at each other with our eyes and mouths wide open. My brother quickly got up and closed and locked his bedroom door. We stayed up until the sun came out. We went downstairs, nothing was amiss.

Even to this day, I can hear my mother calling his name that day.

Another story I have, is one of my apartments bathroom. It's an old apartment but has been modernized several times since it's creation in the late 60's. (I found old wallpaper from the 60's upon getting permission to redo my home office.) Not scary, just neat. Anyways, the entire apartment for the most part feels pretty comfortable. Except for three areas.

1) The stairs to the second story.
2) The bathroom
3) The outside door area.

What I'm about to write has not only happened to me, but friends and every girlfriend I've had who stayed with me at my apartment.

The stairs: Nothing out of the ordinary. Not scary looking or intimidating by any means. Just regular stairs up to the second floor. However, on numerous occasions I've been told that when walking up the stairs, they feel like someone is right behind them. Often causing them to run or skip every other step just to get up the flight of stairs. One girlfriend of mine wouldn't even go close to the stairs at night and would have me go downstairs with her if she needed something. She claims she felt as though someone was standing down the stairs looking up at her. Funny thing is, a friend of mine claimed the same thing when he was staying with me.

The bathroom: It's a nice bathroom. Nicely lit, tiles everywhere and a modern shower. Nothing screams "scary" in there. However, it's the second most scary part of my home besides the outside door. (More on that later.) Again, friends and girlfriends hated using the upstairs bathroom. I mean LITERALLY hated it. I don't blame them as I feel the same. When showering, you get an extreme feeling of someone standing in the door way (even when closed) looking in at you. So bad, that you quickly rinse your face just so you can look. Same happens when you're in there brushing your teeth.

The outside door: During the day, the doorway isn't scary at all. Neither is the path leading up to it. In fact, it's rather nice with green grass on both sides lined with plants and flowers. Smells great during summer. But at night, even though nicely lit sends shivers down your spine. So bad in fact that everyone that visits me at night double times (runs) to my door knocking / ringing the doorbell frantically. I've even have had to stand outside waiting for friends who come over.

When outside, you get the same feeling that someone is right behind you like you get on the stairs. However, you feel an added sense of dread. Like you're being chased. It's a very unnerving feeling and one I picked up on the first night I moved in.

These are just two stories I have with a TON more I can share. Some scarier that I almost don't want to repeat.

Anyways, thanks for the thread. Some awesome stories in here that gave me goosebumps!

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Taos, NM 1982. I was 16, my brother 9 and we had lived with our mother there for a few years, South of the Plaza.

I had attended Fountain Valley High School, a private boarding school in Colorado Springs, Co my freshman year (1981) and was living with my Aunt and Uncle in Colorado Springs for my Soph year as I had liked it there.

I was visiting my Mother and Brother in Taos during the summer. Our Mother was a “binge drinker” style alcoholic that would drink a few times a year for a few weeks at a time. Her “episodes” were always very emotional and violent including cutting, harsh words, scratches to the throat and bruises.

She was in the throes one night; I was scheduled to take the Greyhound back north the next day. My brother and I would sit on the flat roof of our house very often and were there again that night to escape her wrath. While looking at the big open New Mexico sky with those thousands of stars, a rolling pin crashed through our bay window below us. I decided right there that I would bring my brother with me. The only problem being: the 40 dollars for the bus fare.

I decided that we would walk to my mother’s friend’s “ranch”, approximately 5 miles away to see if we could borrow the money. My mother’s friend’s name was Roma Siler. She was from longtime Taos family that had owned a large piece of land right next to the Plaza.

Her family had history of mental illness and Roma was now the only one living there as her mother had died just weeks prior. The family had been notable breeders of Doberman’s and at one point shipped dogs all over the world. At this point, the only two dogs left were the old Momma (Sassafrass) and Daddy ( Ishtar).

We walked across the ‘highway” that runs to the Plaza and made our way to the next road over that was a straight shot to the Siler Ranch. We could anticipate cars coming from far off and would hide in the sagebrush in case it was Mom. The air was incredibly tense with dread just in case it was her coming to corral us back to our house.

The road to Roma’s ranch bends a bit and then heads down almost into a holler you might say. Along the left hand side, there were (active at one point but no longer) some small cacitas or kind of strip “motel rooms” that were long abandoned now. We used to fool around in them and I can still remember the dank, rotted smell of them.

As we descended down toward the main house a very strange feeling overcame both of us. We were already amped up from dodging Mom and the encroaching darkness began to spook us. I looked to my left and noticed that there were only two lights (bare bulbs hanging from wire) still working on the strip of rooms that were ahead. I looked down at the main Ranch house and thought I saw someone standing on the porch but it was pretty far off still.

As we came parallel with the lights , we both looked over and saw something that made us stop and stare instantly: There were DOGS… Dobermans .. it seemed like hundreds. They were weaving in and out of one another, some sitting still with tongues hanging out, I remember one scratching at the door of a room… I asked my brother “Do you see those dogs???” .. he whispers “Yeah”

.. we walk a few more paces .. maybe twenty ..and we see a figure walking from the ranch toward us… we stop.. it stops … I yell out “ROMA?” .. it doesn’t answer … we take about two more steps .. It starts walking toward us … We stop ..

I look at the dogs again and notice .. they are semi- translucent..

RUN!

One of those runs that hurts your lungs….My little brother cannot keep up and cries stop. I turn .. grab his hand and we were off into the night to find someone else to lend us the 40.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Awesome thread. Been a while since I could read every post/page of a thread. I need to see more stories!!!

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 01:11 AM
link   

+2 more 
posted on May, 31 2013 @ 01:13 AM
link   
The freakiest thing that ever happened to me, I can never repeat. But lets say it made two other morticians quit that day.

But the scariest thing that I have seen happen to someone else. Was I think me......

My older mortuary was at the back of some shops and a bank. No signs or anything, and the only window was very small ( like a bathroom window. We had extractor fans instead ) . Anyway I am halfway through a "bad case" and the window is broken and some guys climbs through and lands on the mortuary floor in front of me. Tipping over the bucket of viscera ( someones heart , lungs, kidneys etc.. which was soaked in formalin ) . Splashing on his face .

So while his eyes were burning he stood up looked around the room. Then at what he was standing in.

The look on his face was priceless.

I then just simply said...... " I was waiting for you "

He screamed and climbed back through the window so fast and I heard a crunch as he hit the concrete down-pipe on the way down.

edit on 11/19/09 by thedeadtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 01:18 AM
link   
I am not sure where this will stack up with some of the other truly creepy stories in this thread, but here goes...

When I was in Grade 5, my family moved into a newly built house, that was part of a sub-division built on former swamp land (so, this was not a place where one would assume a lot of strange ghostly things might happen). Over the years though, quite a number of odd things were experienced in that house by myself and other family members. I would like to recount one of them.

I was about 13 or 14 years old, and was sleeping in my bed (had my own room). Sometime during the night, while sleeping, I began to become aware of a strange sensation in my legs and feet. I was laying on my back, when I woke up and opened my eyes.

I was somewhere between numb and surprised to see that there was a mostly formless figure at the end of my bed. It was just a sort of blob really, wider at the bottom and narrowing toward the top (like half of an elipse, maybe). Notice I didn't say standing at the end of the bed, as it was not 'humanoid" in any way, no legs or arms or head features. It was very slightly illuminated, glowing...not very bright at all, as this would have been blinding in the middle of the night, just a very soft glow.

As I was coming out of my slumber, I was not really experiencing any kind of fear or emotions (other than a sort of "what the...??"). This phase of the experience might have been only one or two seconds in duration. Then, I kind of became aware again of the sensation in my legs and feet (teeny, tiny bit of tingling) that had begun to wake me up. I focused my eyes down on my legs and feet area through the glow.

I suddenly realized that my feet were about 6" to 9" off of the bed...and I had the very distinct feeling that this "being" was closely examining the soles of my feet (which were still inside of the covers). As soon as this impression had organized itself in my mind, I had a very intense feeling of fear/panic.

At the very instant that I felt this spike of fear, the glow vanished. Perhaps a half-second after the glow stopped (but not instantly), my feet fell back down onto the bed.

It took me a minute or so to get up enough nerve to move, and my heart was beating like a rabbit. I eventually got up out of bed, and turned on the light. There was no evidence of anything at the end of the bed.

This was the one and only time that this happened...but once was really enough.

The one "after taste" I had from the event, though, was not that the being was being menacing or doing anything bad in any way. I felt more like, when I got startled and got my adrenaline jolt...I had frightened "it".

For what is is worth, I am quite sure that this was not a dream experience - but rather it happened after I had woken up.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Almost all of them seem to be things that would have occurred at some point in time, somewhere. Some still sound familiar to urban legends as well. The person lying by the road reminds of something that happened to me when I was little. I was probably about 10 or 11 years old, and my grandfather was driving his car, with my grandmother in the passenger seat, and myself in the backseat. We were coming home from the bowling alley at about 1 in the morning or so, and we're driving on a rural road, and it was very dark, as there were no other cars and no streetlights or anything.

Anyway, all of the sudden my grandpa swerves really hard, and scared me. Both he and my grandma saw a man lying a bit off to the side of the road, but he had his head sticking into the lane, no more than a foot or so. Had my grandpa not swerved, he would have ran over the guy's head. There was a car parked way off the side of the road, and they thought they saw someone standing by the car, but like I said it was quite dark. This was before cell phones were popular, back in the early 90's, so we went further down the road and stopped at a closed gas station and used a payphone to call the police.

To this day I have no clue what that was all about. It could have been some guy trying to kill himself. The police mentioned that it could have been some sort of gang initiation, but that seems highly unlikely to me personally. Either way, it was a scary experience, because not only was it unexpected, but we came close to killing that guy.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lady_Tuatha
Top 10 scariest or creepiest things people have seen and heard according to Reddit users

10. Dreams are the mind clearing out the dead wood and in the process trying to fashion this jumbled data into something comprehensible to your brain so as not to disturb your sleep- any manner of gibberish can emanate from a person's mouth whilst sleeping.
9. Sounds like their set design didn't suspend the viewer's belief enough!
8. Chinese electricians. I've seen them work. Yes- they're that bad.
7. Somnambulism; more commonly known as sleepwalking, where you, as the sleepwalker, go about perfunctory tasks (in your sleep), completely unaware that you're doing this and then returning to sleep. It's common among obese people who are trying to lose weight- they sleepwalk to the fridge of the night and stuff themselves.
6. Prankster graffiti or a murderer leaving clues.
5. There's a fruit in South America (Bolivia?) that, when consumed, turns the people into conscious zombies that obey instructions without question. The fruit is used by muggers and organised crime to rob or rape victims. The U.S. military is said to be researching the fruit's compounds in order to apply it as a weapon of war, if not to use for their own 'human drones'.
4. A garden variety day for Steve Erwin...
3. Now that's freaky! ...a 911 dispatcher who's actually awake, I mean!

2. inb4, was the thief a black guy?

1. the suicidal good Samaritan.
0. Beautiful avatar

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Mugen

WOW! *shiver* Cool story!
I dunno, but I was considered quite frightless in my youth, so I might have gone with my gut-feelings, grapped the biggest, baddest piece of heavy metal to swing with and would have stepped outside. *fun*

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Probably shouldn't have read this at midnight right before I should be going to bed.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Hey, I have one if you don't mind
It's my own story:

One of my many tech jobs, involved robotic library systems for TV stations.
The job required a lot of travel. In this case, I had an installation at a station in Omaha Nebraska.
The first day was usually the longest day. We'd spend all day constructing the device. So the next day, we could get right into alignments, recording and training. We normally would have left by the front door. But it was so late, we had to exit through the back.
We wander around the building and find the back door, it auto-locked behind us, that's why we used it.
Exiting the door put us right on the asphalt of the rear parking area. We took a few steps, and I heard something.
It was a very faint noise. It sounded like a flagpole on a windy day. You know, sort of a low pitched pinging sound as a rope bangs against the pole. But it was really faint, the other guy didn't even hear it. I quickly heard it again but it was a little louder. It was SO out of place, I suddenly shouted RUN, RUN!!..I ran, in a random direction. So did my buddy. he didn't question me, no time really. We simply RAN!. Then were hear a LOUD CRASH. We turn to see a heap of metal, fiberglass. Lots of pointy things, It landed right where were were standing. It put a big gash in the asphalt. It was the topper from the TV station's Antenna. The Antenna tower was between 750 and 1000 feet tall. HE bought drinks that night. Lots of them!

edit on 31-5-2013 by spacedoubt because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 02:00 AM
link   
I have a story that is kinda freaky lol, also my 1st time posting so hey all
anyways back when i was around 8 i was sleeping in the master bed room after my room had been painted out earlier in the day, and suddenly i woke up and heard loud banging noises come from the back door, i got up to go have a look and went into my bedroom to peek around the corner to see what was going on, when i looked i saw 3 men trying to break off the hinges of our back door and could clearly see a gun and a flash light as most of the top of the door was stained glass, and for some reason in utter fear, and really stupidly i switched on my light and all i saw was them react and then a bright flash of light which was completely blinding, all i could see was white, then i suddenly shot up like they do in the moves into an upright position, it was all a dream. . . huffing and puffing at what i had just dreamt, my breathing eventually started slowing down and as i was about to lay back down what do i hear? but banging noises coming from our back door, in complete shock i stood up and went to my room and had a look around the corner, only to see 3 men trying to break in and seeing the flash light and gun just as it had been in my dream, and like the dream in fear my arm raised to switch on the light for some reason, but as i was about to switch it on i stopped due to the flash of light i remembered in the dream, in years gone by i've come to think the light was me being shot, but anyway thats my story, the next day our door was quite damaged but it kept them out
only difference between the dream and what really happened was it was a little windy in reality and of course i didn't switch on the light leading to my possible death lol

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 02:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Ginga

What a sad story . Fascinating though

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 02:13 AM
link   
My story is creepy but has it's tie to more UFO in origin, but I was only around 12 at the time so I didn't really understand the occurrence until revisiting the memory at a later age.

Anyway, it was around 8 or 9 at night on a Saturday because I remember being allowed to stay up with the family(I have four brothers and two sisters) on the weekends. My entire family other than me was in our living room
playing monopoly and watching T.V.

I my room I had a small 10 inch colorless T.V. with a small antennae that only got a few channels.
I loved that thing to death because I thought it was so cool having my own T.V.
I digress.

One of my favorite T.V. shows actually came in on one of the channels! SIENFELD! I can't remember much about the episode because of what happened next.

A faint buzzing sound start to emanate from outside my bedroom. The lights were on.
The sound grew and grew and grew until it was so loud that it brought my to my knees and I covered my ears because it felt like my head LITERALLY was going to explode from the intense magnitude of the buzzing sound.

It was loud enough to hear from at least ten to fifteen miles away.(I know this because of bomb making material my brothers bought online and friends we knew reported hearing the blasts from such distances)

I felt compelled to get up and look out the window to see if anything was outside making the sound as something obviously was.

A large, and I mean large like a football field in side circular shaped shadow engulfed disk with a pattern of about 8 lights mounted on its belly flew about ten feet over the tree tops and shook every tree in the neighborhood including some of the houses in the area.

An occurrence like this would've been on CNN nowadays likely or some other major news network.

The weirdest part is next.

I went out into our living room barely able to function because I just saw something in the sky that looked like it could've destroyed the only town in the world I came to as yet of known in existence.

I asked my dad first and everyone else simultaneously in the same sentence if the knew what just fly over the house that had almost brought down the trees around us.

Everyone replied, "No, what are you talking about?"

I said, " something very loud was outside and I saw something big with lights on it fly over the house"
"It hurt my ears really bad" (I was born with an exceptional sensitivity as far as hearing ability goes)

My Mom and Dad looked at each other and told me, "Must be your imagination. Nobody heard anything. Now calm down and forget about it."

I remember what I saw, and I remember the best the pain it caused my to feel in my ears, but how did they not experience it? Why did I only experience something that had a physical effort on not only me but the world around me, yet everyone I knew was isolated from that event?

I am not crazy, and have never experienced visual or psycho-somatic auditory hallucinations.

I try not to tell many people about it other even within my family, but I felt comfortable posting it here on ATS.

Any thoughts about this occurrence my fellow ATSers?

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Threadfall
reply to post by Lady_Tuatha

If your ATS presence didn't have a woman name, and your avatar wasn't an over-sexualized fairy thing no one would care about this silly thread and star it, flag it; how's that for a conspiracy theory Lady_Tuatha AKA Mike Johnson,

.........this site used to be worth at least fringe news and amusement, but....well damn, this dumb thread thrills so many here now....how???

I totally disagree. I have had a few threads with no flags or stars in the past. So what does that do for your theory? This thread fits perfectly within the 'paranormal studies' forum, if you dont like it, dont read it, simples

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Threadfall

It doesn't matter who or what started the thread. I could care less about frilly names and fairies .
It's just a fun, interesting thread .
I nice distraction from all the hardcore things we deal with day to day ,in today's world .
Ppppppphhhhhhhttttt !!!!!

Negative star for you

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Not implying anything directly. But do you notice these unexplained things mainly happen to 10 - 15 year olds.

Hormones anybody

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 02:24 AM
link   
reply to post by thedeadtruth

THAT'S PRICELESS !
Please tell the other story . Pretty please ....
*puppy eyes*

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 02:24 AM
link   
" If your ATS presence didn't have a woman name, and your avatar wasn't an over-sexualized fairy thing "

I would tap that, on the shoulder and say Boo I mean

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join