It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top 10 scariest or creepiest things people have seen and heard according to Reddit users

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Lunarian

Japan and new Orleans ,are the only two other places I could ever live,besides new York . They are home to me.
Japan is one of the most haunted places ...period. I've had experiences all over the country . This one occured in Tokyo . I will post it when I'm up to typing it all out .
I have a sloppy version in my live journal . Maybe I could edit that .

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 10:10 PM
link   
The Car accident one:

That freaked me out what were they planning on doing? man I would have sped off at that point.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
True story.

My grandmother once lived in an old, three story house. It was set in the woods and slightly run down. It needed new paint, some of the floorboards would creak and the doorways were no longer straight from where the house had settled over the years.

The house itself always gave me a slightly uneasy feeling. However, I have an over-active imagination and at the time of this event I was heavily into my Stephen King horror phase (I was about ten).

The third floor of the house contained three bedrooms. One bedroom belonged to my aunt Beth, who was eight years older than me and wanted very little to do with my brother or myself. Since we stayed at Granny's during the day while Mom and Dad worked, I think it was a jealousy thing. Beth was my Mom's youngest sister and the baby of the family, while I was the first grandchild.

About three months after they moved into this house, Beth started complaining about noises coming from the walls in her room that kept her up at night. Granny and Papaw dismissed her complaints, but when my other aunt who lived there began to echo her concerns, they decided to investigate.

I was there when Granny took Beth upstairs and began searching her room, just to prove there was nothing there. The rat traps they'd sat hadn't worked and they owned three cats, so mice were not likely the culprit. Anyway, while moving a big dresser away from the wall, they discovered a piece of plywood nailed to the wall. It wasn't even painted. (I should mention the dresser had come with the house, as had a lot of the furniture). Granny, being Granny, immediately took a hammer and crow bar and tore off the plywood.

Behind it was a small door.

I'm not kidding when I say small. It was about three feet high and narrow. An adult man would have to really squeeze to get in there. The door was locked but Granny got it open anyhow.

Inside was a little hallway, very dusty, that opened into a tiny room. I could walk in the hallway if I hunkered over. An adult would have to crawl, and could only sit in the little room.

There was a small chair, doll sized, in that room. Nothing else. The walls had been covered in wallpaper that was now very yellowed with age. Dust and cobwebs everywhere, I sneezed for days after this little adventure.

What we finally noticed, and what still haunts me to this day, was the fresh looking scratches on the walls of the tiny room and the little hallway. Nt scratches, really...more like gouges in the wall. These gouges were in groups of three, as if whatever clawed hand responsible had only three fingers.

There was no dust in the gouges. They looked fresh.

We backtracked out of that little room, not saying a word. Granny nailed the plywood back in place and moved the dresser back against the wall. And that was that.

Two night later Beth moved into her sister's room and they kept that room locked until they moved out a year later.

The house was eventually abandoned. I went back with a group of my friends in high school to show them the little room, but the stairs were in really bad shape and rotten. The house was torn down not long after.

Interesting story, thanks for sharing.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl

Originally posted by LiberalSceptic
reply to post by smyleegrl

Are you serious about that story being true??????!!
If so, it is by far the most scary one posted yet.
edit on 30-5-2013 by LiberalSceptic because: (no reason given)

Yes. It really happened.

Wish you had more to say....
That really got me reading & hoping you saw who was in that room?

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I gotta agree with a lot of other posters. That car accident one is the freakiest to me. I don't think I'll ever be able to stop and help someone after that.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I've had some serious paranormal experiences. But for some reason, one thing that sticks with me; is something that's probably a little more 'explainable'

This one night, a while ago. My mom was on an overnight bingo trip and it was just me at home. Everything was fine, I was just chillin'. out, blah blah blah... And then, around (I can still remember the time) 2:55am, I heard her cell phone ringing. At this point I was unaware that she had forgotten it, so it was immediately strange to me. But, lol, anyway, she use to have this weird Britney Spears - Toxic 8bit ringtone... I muted the T.V., and as soon as I realized what I was hearing, I raced into my moms bedroom to answer it... with the phone still ringing in my hand, I read the number on the screen. 1-000-000-0000 - Instantly, the hair on the back of neck stood up. I clicked the green phone icon, and all I heard was static noise... some of which sounded like indistinguishable gibberish. I got no response to my numerous "hellos?", and after about 30 seconds the call ended. I just stood there for a moment, creeped the f***out. Haha.

To this day, I can remember that night. I don't know why but I'll never forget it. Things like that still fascinate me, and I've looked up other peoples mysterious phone calls, and from what I understand, things like that can be caused by crossed phone lines, over-seas 'ghost dials', and other things of that nature.

(Hmm... I should make a thread about it.)

Lol.

S&F.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 11:16 PM
link   
the babysitter one is the only one that creeps me out. when i was younger my grandfather just got in a real bad car accident so we come to my grandparents house an my grandmother is still at the hosptial with him, so we sit in the car waiting in the driveway, she had the front of the car faceing out of the driveway, so i am all the way in the back of a ford turas station wagon an we have most of the windows down, both as we are sitting there we starting hearing a womans voice moaning "help me" "help me", so we ar all freaked out by now and roll up the windows and 3 mins later i look out the back glass we all see a woman dressed in all white grown cover in blood walking to the car so we take off, call the police an they come out and can find no trace of her they even go to the house next to use and around us but still couldnt find nothing out. an the really messed up thing is i still live where it happened. i've had so many scary things happened to me its not even funny lol

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I remember hearing about a story very similar to the babysitter one, but a few of the details were different...

There was a girl who was babysitting a couple kids while the parents were out at a benefit. It was her first time babysitting for the family so she didn't know all the "ins and outs" of the house yet. Well, the mom asked her to feed the kids around 6:30, put them down around 9pm and if she could, toss a load of towels in the dryer that were already running. Well, dinner was great and after some playing in the family room with the kids it was time to put the children down for bed. Once the kids were down she returned back downstairs and remembered that the mom asked her to put the towels in the dryer. So she headed into the basement and once down there she spotted a clown in the corner, it didn't move, but it did frighten her a little bit. She put the clothes in the dryer and returned back upstairs. The mom called the house to check-in on the kids where she stated that the kids were great, ate all their dinner and went down to bed with zero issues. Then the girl asked the mom about the creepy clown statue in the basement. The mom responded with, "we don't have a clown statue in the basement"... Paralyzed with fear they immediately called the police where they stormed over to the house. Apparently the man in the basement was a schizophrenic who went missing...

Even today, when I write about that story it just gives me the chills... Just imagine that happening to you... I would Sh*t myself....
edit on 30-5-2013 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by iunlimited491

Well,at 3am,that's bizarre ,but I get calls from 000-000-0000
Or 200
Weird stuff . Telemarketers nowdays.
I ignore them

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Here is a different take on the story i told... still very creepy...

So-and-so's friend, a girl in her teens, is babysitting for a family in Newport Beach, Ca. The family is wealthy and has a very large house — you know the sort, with a ridiculous amount of rooms. Anyways, the parents are going out for a late dinner/movie. The father tells the babysitter that once the children are in bed she should go into this specific room (he doesn't really want her wandering around the house) and watch TV there.

The parents take off and soon she gets the kids into bed and goes to the room to watch TV. She tries watching TV, but she is disturbed by a clown statue in the corner of the room. She tries to ignore it for as long as possible, but it starts freaking her out so much that she can't handle it.

She resorts to calling the father and asks, "Hey, the kids are in bed, but is it okay if I switch rooms? This clown statue is really creeping me out."

The father says seriously, "Get the kids, go next door and call 911."

She asks, "What's going on?"

He responds, "Just go next door and once you call the police, call me back."

She gets the kids, goes next door, and calls the police. When the police are on the way, she calls the father back and asks, "So, really, what's going on?"

He responds, "We don't HAVE a clown statue." He then further explains that the children have been complaining about a clown watching them as they sleep. He and his wife had just blown it off, assuming that they were having nightmares.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 11:56 PM
link   
DAMMIT - that image of the expressionless... I. do. not. like.

Okay, here is one.
When I was a young lad in the mid 70's, our family moved around quite a bit. My parents rented an old farm house. I hated the place, but our bedroom had dinosaurs drawn on the wall, so that made it okay. My brother and I were never EVER allowed to play in the basement. Completely off limits.

Brother and I shared the bedroom. When we moved, not more than a couple of months later. We asked our parents why we were not to go into the basement.

Turns out, my parents believed it was haunted. My mothers parents drove up from Miami and were going to stay with us for a week or so - My parents relayed their feelings to my grandparents. They thought it was silly to believe such crud. One night. One lousy night is all they stayed, but something spooked them into staying with my aunt instead. My parents didn't want us to know or see the grave stone in the cellar. A young boy was killed on that farm, run over by a tractor, and laid to rest in the basement in the early 1900's. Lots of strange things happened to the adults there. Creepy old house.

edit on 5/31/2013 by hhcore because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 11:56 PM
link   
99% of that stuff sounds like urban legends, urban legends like this are perpetuated by liars who don't have any good stories first-hand, so they tell a story they heard second-hand and claim it happened to them first-hand to get attention. Everytime I hear a story like this I ask the person details, what, when, why, what color, how, etc, 99% of the time they can't answer because they ripped it off from an unreliable source. I can do better w/ personal stories but wouldn't want to jumble them together w/ these urban myths. I've heard a few of these 15 years ago, proving they aren't legit.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Great stories, my favorite is smily's room with the chair in it, best story so far
Keep it up, I wanna read more while listening to Danse Macabre

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 12:22 AM
link   
One of my faves is this Taiwan 4th floor elevator story from Reddit. I try to never ride an elevator alone because of it.
Spooky stuff! www.reddit.com...

I was in Taiwan one year when I was younger, and had travelled to a busy night market (these are popular gatherings of food/shop stalls that usually operate in the evening). Nearby I spotted a sign for a netcafe in a 5-6 story tall building. Thinking I’d fire off some quick emails, I walked in the dark, small entrance of the building. The building was older and hasn’t been well maintained, but it’s not out of the ordinary in Taiwan. The entrance just had a dark hallway that led to a small elevator.
I pressed the elevator call button and entered. The elevator was uncharacteristically new compared to the building, but I didn’t think much of it. Like some Chinese/Taiwanese buildings, there wasn’t a fourth floor (it’s considered bad luck since “four” sounds like “death”), so it just read 1-2-3-5-6, which was usual. I looked for the floor the netcafe was at– 6th floor, and pressed the button. It lurched into action quietly and began the ascend. When it stopped, I figured it was my floor so I instinctively began to step out. Right before stepping out, however, the sight outside the elevator stopped me. It was pitch dark, only lit by the light in the elevator, it looked like it hasn’t been occupied for decades, with some random pieces of furniture covered with white cloth or similar. It was a small building, so each floor were single occupancy, so I could see pretty much the entire floor from the elevator. Thinking I must have gotten the wrong floor, I checked the light (that indicates which floor you’re on). Strangely, there was nothing, none of the indicators were on, but the floor button to the netcafe was still lit so I know I haven’t gotten there yet. All this happened within a couple of seconds.
That’s when I noticed a figure moving in the distance of the floor– it was not very visible but I could make out what looks like a person dressed in some kind of gown, moving slowly towards the elevator, where I was. I was thoroughly creeped out, so I started pressing the close door button. As soon as I pressed it, the elevator light flickered off, and I am in pitch dark. I am this close to pissing my pants, and it’s actually kind of freaking me out thinking back to it. The lights flickered back on under a second and the door closed, the elevator jolted back to life. A few moments later it opened again to the netcafe.
I am beyond relieved at this point. I walked out immediately and sat down at a computer. After gathering my wits a bit, I walked over to the cashier’s desk and told them what I saw. The girl working there listened and her face turned a bit ashen, so I asked her if she heard of similar.
She told me that she’s never experienced it, but some coworkers and occasional customers have brought it up– basically, the building has 6 floors, and the fourth floor had a history. Apparently the floor used to be a hair salon of sorts, until one of the employees killed herself there for some reason. She slit her wrists over the hair wash station and died. The store continued operations despite stories of weird appearances– when customers got their hair rinsed the water would look a little red, like the customer was bleeding, little things like that, and a couple people reported seeing someone’s figure walking away in the mirror, but wouldn't see anyone when they turned to check. Naturally, the business closed down a few months later.
The building owner tried to re-rent the place out, but never had any luck. Most businesses are quite superstitious, and no one wanted to rent the fourth floor after someone had died in it, even at a very cheap price. Finally, after dropping the price to nearly nothing, a stationary supplies store wanted to rent. During the renovations of the floor, however, several accidents would happen. Tools would end up in strange places, a mirror from the previous business shattered when no one was near it, and finally a worker had his hand jammed between the elevator doors when it closed on him unexpectedly. The workers refused to continue working and finally, the business left and the building owner finally gave up and shut down the floor. He then had the elevator company come in to replace the panel so that the elevator could not go to the fourth floor.
Let me repeat that– the elevator was programmed to never go to the fourth floor. It doesn’t even have a button. But for some reason, sometimes when people take the elevator, it would go to the fourth floor and the doors would open, and some, like myself, would see a figure walking around in the dark.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

That story along with the car accident story and the little door story are definitely the scariest.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 12:33 AM
link   
I want to know more about that little room, like who went in it that first time? Did they go all the way in the room? What happened when you showed your friends? More info about the room and tunnel? Loved the story just want more info!! Lol

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Best thread i seen in a while. I think my story is one of those that you "had to be there." After reading every story in this thread, I get that "OMFMFGMF WTF feeling" and felt inclined to add my story. (from my first thread, and edited with a bit more detail)

So midnight, we're just now lying down for sleep, at a lakehouse, in Texas if that matters? My buddy and I see random flashes coming from across the lake, we figure its someone taking pictures. (they look like camera flashes)

Minutes go by and the flashes get closer and closer and we cannot tell who, what, where, how. A few of the flashes begin to come from the actual water area... about 10- 20 feet high off the water.

5 minutes pass and a flash comes from the top of a tree. (tree is approx. 40 feet high. We are on the second floor. Wide open windows. (no blinds -- wall-to-wall windows) We hide behind the furniture. We peek out, and FLASH! from the same spot. This happens a few more times over 10 minutes or so.

We are freaked out. We decide to start walking downstairs where the one elder was (mom). The stairs bottom out into a room with a sliding glass door. As soon as we both stepped down from the stairs, FLASH! from something on the ground outside the sliding glass door. We run into a room with blinds on all the windows.

We contemplate what in the hell could this be? (SWAT? Ghosts? Aliens?) We wait 10 minutes before we do anything because at this time, we are more scared than we've ever been. I pull down a blade on the blinds and peek out, and FLASH! came from something behind the car.

We did not look again. We were paranoid. After about 10 minutes, we didn't see any flashes. Because we never showed ourselves again (we didn't peek through any blinds or windows) We looked in the morning for any evidence of Anything, but nothing............

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by LiberalSceptic

....Now that IS frightening...!

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Here's one that happened to one of my best friends...I trust him and know that he'd never come up with anything like this...

Anyway...

He was in his room (probably would've been early teens at the time) and was playing a game on his atari. He managed to just clock his score and was really impressed with himself. He saw a figure out of the corner of his eyes and thought it was his mum. He said "hey mum...look...I clocked the game" and then he turned around to find that it wasn't his mum but it was some skeletal looking ghost coming towards him. It scared the complete crap out of him and he ran off. I don't blame him!

It turns out that his house was built on what used to be a pig farm and that supposedly some people were murdered and put through some industrial type shredding machine there. Nice.

Further to this, he told me that he also used to hear voices in his room and that one night he had enough of it and told these voices that he was sick of it and that he wasn't leaving this house so they had to deal with it. He then told them that they could have the spare room and leave him alone. It supposedly worked!

Remembering back now, I was at his house one night and remembered hearing footsteps in the hall and it was only me in that area....my friend was in a completely different area.

Aiiyeeeeeeee...

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Mugen

Creepy

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join