It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top 10 scariest or creepiest things people have seen and heard according to Reddit users

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   
My story pales in comparison to many of the posts here, but on the other hand I'm thankful I haven't had too many scary or creepy things happen to me.

Near my old house is the abandoned parking lot of a golf course that was closed in the early 90s. It's a secluded parking lot and of course that is a magnet for teenagers getting into all sorts of mischief.

One night in my early 20s, some friends and I were reminiscing about the place and decided to hop in my car and go for a late night visit, maybe scare some kids who were making out in their parents car or something like that. We got there and aside from the lot being in even worse shape than it had been in my own teens, it wasn't much different. There was also trash laying everywhere, so perhaps people were now using it as a dumping ground.

After a few minutes of more laughs about the good old days, we decided to leave. Among all the trash there was a larger than usual pile of it located near the center of the lot, and being young and stupid I thought it would be funny to get a bit of speed and drive my car through the trash pile before we left. I rolled the car into position and just before I moved my foot to the accelerator I was overcome with a really weird feeling and switched on my fog lights instead.

At that moment, a very disheveled looking man raised his head out of the trash pile and looked at us. From the look of him he was probably sleeping off a large quantity of booze, but aside from looking like a hobo there wasn't anything out of the ordinary about him. Still, his appearance was so abrupt and unexpected that we all started screaming and I turned around and drove out of there as fast as I could.

It wasn't until about a mile down the road that I realized how close I had come to running over and likely killing someone. Still haunts me to this day how I got that weird feeling and what would have happened if I hadn't heeded it.

tl;dr: Almost ran over a bum who was sleeping, concealed in a pile of trash.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Here's one that isn't mine ,but I heard at a party .

The year my mom died ,I was invited out to thanksgiving dinner with a friend who was in nyc to finish her masters degree . It was my first thanksgiving without my mom,and I was especially despondent . I only knew her at this gathering.They were all displaced Californians and their significant others ,which was good for me at the time. I couldn't handle a warm family gathering . I needed detachment .

In any case,one of these guys was an Iraqi vet ,who was now a parks dept worker. He moved trees ,and tore down greenery for construction etc. He had this one story from I think Staten island ..maybe Brooklyn ,that he wouldnt tell at first ,but we finally coaxed it out of him .

There was this one apartment complex in his area that had constant complaints of a crying baby,and a dog barking . Like endless incessant cries,with a dog barking in off key harmony . The cops had been called out numerous times by neighbors . At least two dozen . This went on for the better part of 15 years the cops had said .

It always sounded like the cries came from the car park ,but the cops told said,if you were in the car park ,it sounded like it was coming from the apartments courtyard .

Now this car park had a huge hedge along one side. It was very high .Like at least 7 feet,if not more. And it had grown in width .About six feet deep too . It bordered the car park at the back .

This guy said ,he was in there one time doing tree planting,and he and the two guys working with him,heard it. The baby crying,and the dog.

They searched . Looked in the bushes. Moved from the car park to the apt area. Where ever you moved to,the crying and barking,sounded like it came from the opposite direction . He said it was freaky .

So the year of the huge snow storm ,after everything had started to melt ,one tree fell,and a huge part of the hedge in the car park collapsed .

Contractors had to be called in to remove debris and build a fence.

The hedge ,as they cut it down ,had something suspended in the branches about four feet up,towards the middle of its density . As if it had originally been on the ground ,but the growing hedge moved it all up as it grew higher.

Upon inspection ,it turns out the something,was remains of a baby ,and a little dog . Tattered baby clothes ,and leashes were also found in the branches . Both had on dog collars ,and the attached leashes were tied to a bigger tree branch . The baby was estimated at about 8 months old .

The babies lower limbs were missing below the knees. When the autopsies were done ,it was found the babies legs had been ingested and were in the dogs stomach,at the time of its death .

The dog collar had tags,and it was traced . A woman who had been dead now for some time .Her family said she had four children ,but had no idea the first one had gone missing. Neighbors at the apartment complex remembered her and the dog. She would tie it to the hedge,and go to the bar up the street .

After her death ,the family knew only three children remained,but just never mentioned to anyone ,they had no idea where the fourth child was.
Sort of slipped their minds ??

Well,it seems one night,she tied up the dog and her baby ,and just left them there .No one reported it,or cared .

The guy told us almost all the people who worked on this call. Cops,emergency medical personnel ,the coroner ,the parks dept guys and contractors ,all had massive issues with PTSD after this call. Cops were seen sobbing at the scene .

About 90% of the people on this call, quit their jobs within a year.

The crying baby and barking dog ,were never heard again .

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by subarujump

Wow,close call.
But then,who frigging sleeps in piles of trash ,except Adena and Pasty

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   
This is one of my experiences...

During my teen years, a group of us would often go exploring and on 'crazy' adventures...
Where I lived, there was a great deal of paddock area/land as the houses and what not had not yet been built...

One of my mates got wind, that there was an abandoned army base hidden somewhere withing the paddock/fields..
So one day we went off venturing... After about 2hours of walking (through high grass and prickly stuff, not sure how we didn't get bit by a snake or spider) we came across a clearing with what could only best be described as an abandoned shack...

The shack was in beat up condition, broken windows and torn out planks of wood and what not...
My mate and I decide to be brave in front of the others and go into the shack...
So we climbed through one of the broken windows and began to look around it...

The first thing I noticed, was that everything was eerily quiet... We could not hear a thing...
(mates later would tell us that they were yelling out our names and were wondering why we were not responding)
After a bit of a look around, my mate noticed a flight of stairs that were going downward to what I thought would have been the cellar or something...
I can still picture those stairs as the flight going down, looked like it never ended as it just descended into pitch black darkness...

My mate was adamant that the army base was down the flight of stairs so we began to descend downward...
After a few steps going downward, a massive orb of light started floating up the stairs from the bottom...
As you could imagine, we didn't stick around and high tailed it out of there...
The orb of light, chased us all the way to the window until we leaped out of it...
The orb stopped at the window though and the others who were outside were also able to see the orb...

Now my mate and I were screaming when the orb was chasing us, but our mates outside said that they couldn't hear us at all, just like we couldn't hear them calling out to us...

The other freaky part is, we tried to go back and find the shack on numerous occasions, but only came to the clearing...
It was like the shack had vanished =\

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Lady_Tuatha

I'm viewing this on my iPad but I'm trying to figure out how I see the entire topic. I cannot see the entire story. What am I doing wrong

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Here's a story I heard from my neighbor. My neighbor's home is directly across the street from a wooded area (not quite a forest). For years, we have heard and seen strange things in that area.

Other people in the neighborhood have reported sightings of large balls of light floating across the air, apparitions in the park that the wooded area extends into, strange growling and howling noises, and a general oppressive feeling coming from the woods period. There have been some unsavory events that have happend in that area, including at least one murder. So strange activity is not entirely unexpected.

One night, my neighbor came back from her mother's house at a very late (or rather early) hour. She said it was around 2 A.M. and that all the lights in the house were off (meaning her husband and daughter were asleep). As she gathered her belongings and locked her car, she heard a growling noise that caused her to freeze. All of a sudden, something huge started charging through the tree's and brush in her direction, howling, snarling, and growling all the while.

She ran as fast as she could into the house, locked the doors, and screamed for her husband to get up. I'm not sure if he ever went in the woods to check (he probably did in the morning, but I've never spoken to him about it). I do know that he began leaving the porch light on every night and brought home a gun.

I myself have heard the howling and growling noises before when I sit out on my back deck at night. And honestly, they don't sound like any dog I've ever heard before. And the way she described the sheer racket whatever chased her caused in the woods, made her believe that whatever it was, couldn't have been a dog.

Because it sounded larger than a grown man.

edit on 2-6-2013 by Lunarian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Just plain creepy story.....

Police had to break into a house once to find out why owner ( very elderly lady ) would not answer the door or phone.

As often is the case, she had died in bed ( nothing suspicious as had a known heart condition ) .

But....... next to the bed was a large stainless steel bowl, with lots of medical instruments, all covered in blood. But none anywhere else in the house, and none on her.

The blood turned out to be from various animals. But she did not own a pet. She hardly ever left the house.

After all scenarios were investigated. Not a single one panned out.

The only clue was too hard and gruesome to comprehend........

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   
totally believe your story there 98yekiM as it reminded me a little of my experience. here's a comment I made on my 1st post about ufos,orbs, aliens, strange # in my local woods.

"I was with Ben again, yet another friend Jamie joined us to take a night walk across the fields up to the woods, i wanted to investigate further and managed to get some company. When we got near to the start of the woods a white ball of light floated up from a tree and sat still just above it, we all froze. With each step we took towards the ball/orb, it also moved closer. In the end it started to come towards us and it was stopping, Jamie was the 1st to freak out, Ben was up for it like me yet it got to the distance of say 30ft away that we all started to run like the wind. In fact i didn't stop running till i got home. When i got home I thought it was only approx 9pm as we didn't even make it inside the woods. Yet I remember my dad having a go at me for being home late, it was 11pm when I got home."

here's the post: www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 3-6-2013 by zidanelittle because: Add more text

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   

The only clue was too hard and gruesome to comprehend........
reply to post by thedeadtruth

You, sir, are a tease. Quit with the cliffhangers and just say it! I'm Dyingg over here!

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Joeterror619

I'm viewing this on my iPad but I'm trying to figure out how I see the entire topic. I cannot see the entire story. What am I doing wrong

When I'm on my iPad I use google chrome or safari to open the web links. I'm assuming you are also using one of these apps?

The link to the reddit page is at the bottom of the second post. Warning: I've spent the last two nights reading that thread and there are some scary stories on it.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadyGreenEyes

Gads.....why did I read these this close to bedtime????? S&F for a chilling read!

Several that seriously creep me out:

1. The kid that saw the figure in the house, with the distorted face.
2. The Australian prison, with something unseen stomping on the roof.
3. The spooky house, where the three figures appear the night of an eclipse.
4. The phone app recording the bedroom door opening - EEK! Worse, they got rid of the APP!!!
5. The camping story, with someone/thing outside the tent.
6. The unspeaking girl in the hospital.
7. The crazy neighbor lady. What was she holding, I wonder?!?
8. The kinect game detecting someone not there - IF that's a real story, not borrowed from a movie, too creepy!
9. The killer boat. Wow....
10. The man calling from the basement, that wasn't found.
11. Worst one - the dancing, stalking freak. That is seriously CREEPY!!!

Can you post these stories

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 09:32 PM
link   
According to a younger sibling ...

Her family had owned a farm, but had sold / abandoned it due to livestock being slaughtered and dumped on a series of small rock islands in a river that ran through the farm. Everything from chickens to cows. No meat taken, just dismembered. So rustlers where ruled out.

It was a deep river with dangerous currents. So it was a real mystery as to how it was being done without a team of men.

This happened every few nights, even a few times while they were camped out in the bush trying to catch the culprits. No noises ever heard even on still nights.

It was put down to some local feud about boundaries.

They swore they would not let it drive them off the farm which seemed to be somebody's intention. But one night they just packed everything they could carry and left.

The girl was only 9 when this happened. And even though nothing was ever directly insinuated or discussed , it was a family rule she was never allowed to have pets or be allowed out of the house without supervision.

Never married, never had children, She died aged 93 with those rules still in place. .
edit on 11/19/09 by thedeadtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 06:41 AM
link   
OK, I got one that's always kind of stuck with me.

I was probably about 7 or 8 when this happened, not really sure though.

I slept in a room with my 2 brothers. Older brother had his own bed several feet way from a bunk bed that me and my younger brother slept in, with him at the bottom.

We were tryin to go to sleep one night when my younger brother kept complaining that my older brother was pulling his covers. Evidently he was facing the wall and didn't bother to turn to see if it was our older brother, who from his response sounded like he was still in his bed. He'd have to have gotten out But he was agitated enough to call my dad into the room, who scanned the room checked under the bed, and gave an all clear for any signs of the boogeyman....

Crazy thing is, some time later, after I'm sure my brothers were both asleep....I definitely felt something pulling on my covers!! I was trying to sleep(ever the insomniac) facing the wall, and someone was slowly pulling my covers. It was terrifying. I could barely breath, but I tried to pull my covers back without it seeming like I was awake. I just wanted it to go away. Now that I type this, I am just realizing that I don't know how this ended. I don't remember if it just stopped or I fell asleep. Never figured it out. Still hate sleeping. It was probably my brother doing it, right?

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by ApexP

I would've died in shock when I saw him pressed on the glass!

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by 98yekiM

Dude, that's a badass tale, if true. Any idea what it could've possibly been?

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by PtolemyII

Yeti's, ( a cousin to bigfoot or sasquatch) are also known for having red eyes.
Granted, Yeti's are most frequently known to reside in Asia & cold climates, but since we're talking about a creature that officially doesn't exist...

I do believe it was a physical life form, as opposed to ethereal though.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by thedeadtruth
Just plain creepy story..... Police had to break into a house once to find out why owner ( very elderly lady ) would not answer the door or phone. As often is the case, she had died in bed ( nothing suspicious as had a known heart condition ) . But....... next to the bed was a large stainless steel bowl, with lots of medical instruments, all covered in blood. But none anywhere else in the house, and none on her. The blood turned out to be from various animals. But she did not own a pet. She hardly ever left the house. After all scenarios were investigated. Not a single one panned out. The only clue was too hard and gruesome to comprehend........ .

Originally posted by thedeadtruth
According to a younger sibling ...

Her family had owned a farm, but had sold / abandoned it due to livestock being slaughtered and dumped on a series of small rock islands in a river that ran through the farm. Everything from chickens to cows. No meat taken, just dismembered. So rustlers where ruled out.

It was a deep river with dangerous currents. So it was a real mystery as to how it was being done without a team of men.

This happened every few nights, even a few times while they were camped out in the bush trying to catch the culprits. No noises ever heard even on still nights.

It was put down to some local feud about boundaries.

They swore they would not let it drive them off the farm which seemed to be somebody's intention. But one night they just packed everything they could carry and left.

The girl was only 9 when this happened. And even though nothing was ever directly insinuated or discussed , it was a family rule she was never allowed to have pets or be allowed out of the house without supervision.

Never married, never had children, She died aged 93 with those rules still in place. .
edit on 11/19/09 by thedeadtruth because: (no reason given)

So wait, what? The implication is that the former girl/now old dead woman had slaughtered all the family farm animals when she was 9, and at 94 the slaughter instruments were still covered with blood, in a bowl by her death bed? You would think any blood would have flaked off the instruments long ago. How did the 9 year old transport the dismembered animals across the deep and treacherous river to the small rocky islands? Is there something I am missing?
edit on 5-0620136-1313 by gwynnhwyfar because: Adding the first part of the story so my comments make sense.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 10:28 PM
link   
No the blood on the instruments was fresh-ish.

The only logical explanation was the family was involved in some sort of cult. But for some reason only the girl was singled out and kept isolated.

Home schooled, no friends , only seen occasionally in public always with a family member present.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by schadenfreude

Ahh .I'm not an officianado of Bigfoot/yeti ,so I've never heard that before . Interesting

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Sorry for late answer.

reply to post by Raxoxane

Yes you are most likely correct, it would make it to the news.
As posted a couple of pages before by Boncho, it seems like that story was a hoax made up on 4chan.

Btw, The Grudge is one of the few horror movies that makes me shiver a bit.

reply to post by SheopleNation

Disturbing yes, But in a way I think the creator of Shaye Saint John is somewhat of a genius.

reply to post by TheToastmanCometh

It is pretty good. I have been trying to find something as good, but no luck so far.

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16 >>

join