It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top 10 scariest or creepiest things people have seen and heard according to Reddit users

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I'v always been sorta a skeptic with ghosts.. Not really sure, I mean maybe.. but I'v never really believed in an afterlife where your spirite lingers around the area after death... But I do believe in other energies or crossovers from different realms or something into our world...

This is my creepy story

It was the summer of 2010. Really bad year for my crew of friends.
Series of unfortunate and crappy things happened, including the suicide of one of our closest friends.
A lot of dark energy going around.

I was sleeping, and I know it was a dream because the lights were on, but when I woke they were off.
My boyfriend was next to me, and we're talking *in the dream* and he tells me "something is in the room" and I look at him "what? what are you talking about?" and he says "something just came into the room."
Taken back, getting chills, I reply with confidence "whatever, I don't believe in ghosts" and right as I finished those words I felt this heavy pressure force me down, weighing on my throat and chest. I try to scream, but I can't, I can hardly breath. I try to wiggle and thrash, to break free of this invisible force pinning me down.
It wasn't until I felt it move down towards my feet that total panic overwhelmed me, that I broke free and it stopped.
I woke up, to the lights off and my boyfriend sleeping, screaming bloody murder. He flew outta bed, and my roommate came running in freaking out.
I told them it was a bad dream and I'm fine... and I was fine.. I still can't deiced though what exactly happened...
Thinking about it now stills sends chills down my spine.
edit on 31-5-2013 by SalientSkivvy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   
When my father was in his early twenties, he lived on the upper floor of a rather large aparment complex. One day, he was outside doing something and all of a sudden, he hears his neighbor screaming bloody murder. She comes racing out of her apartment like the devil himself was on her heels. She's clutching a cordless phone in her shaking hands, and when my father asks what the problem was, she tells him that a black thing wearing a dark suit and wielding a butcher's knife came charging at her from inside her closet and chased her through her apartment.

My father went in to investigate (while the woman stayed outside to call the cops). He checked the entire place, and found nothing. The cops did the same when they arrived. The lady moved out of that apartment complex that very same day, and my father never saw her again. There was genuine fear in her eyes that day. Whatever she saw, she truly believed that it was intent on killing her. And from the way she hightailed it out of that complex, my father believed her.
edit on 31-5-2013 by Lunarian because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   
THese stories are creepy

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by sayiamu

WOW thats creepy!! Did you know him?

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by LiberalSceptic
reply to post by boncho

Could you please explain what you mean?

reply to post by AthlonSavage

Yes I think it most likely is. I did try to find info on Google about the possibility of the story being true, but it seems most signs points to no.

It's not real, it's "creepypasta" that was created on 4chan to scare new___'s.

Maybe I just didn't realize this is just a collection of creepy campfire stories...

nvm...

edit on 31-5-2013 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Still reading through all the stories, but I have to post mine.

When I was the 7th grade, I used to have a neighbor that had a daughter that was my age. When we first started hanging out, she told me that her house was haunted by the ghost of a little girl. I called BS of course, she swore that it was true. There were several things that happened while hanging out/staying the night at her house. The kitchen cabinets would open and close by themselves. These cabinets were well made, with catches that you would lock into when you pushed them closed. Our house had them too, so I'm guess that was something that was standard in CA due to seismic activity? (I hope that made sense, I'm obviously not mechanical lol) You would be standing there and watch the doors randomly open and close. You could HEAR the latch being pulled open and latched all the way shut. It was like someone was looking for something. She also, had this beautiful Persian cat, that liked to walk across the piano. The little girl also liked the piano and would BANG on it. Just like a little kid would do, honestly at first I thought it was the cat, until I saw the cat standing in the kitchen while it was happening. The cat LOVED the little ghost girl. She would start purring and acting like she was rubbing up against nothing. I know no one's going to believe me on this, but you could see a damn hand petting the cat! My friend would just laugh and say I told you lol.

The weirdest thing I ever saw there though, was my friend and I were watching a movie in their den. The den opened into the kitchen, and from there you could see most of the kitchen. My friend had just gotten a new backpack, along with new packages of pens and pencils. She was very proud of these, (lol they were Debbie Gibson pens and pencils, showing my age there) and had shown them to me while she unwrapped them, and put them in her outside pocket of the backpack, which she zipped up, and hung it on the back of the chair. Anyway, we were sitting in the den watching a movie, we start hearing plink, plink, plink, on the floor of the kitchen. We look over, and her new pens and pencils are scattered all over the kitchen floor. We go in there and her backpack is still on the chair, still zipped up, with no holes anywhere on it. Scared us both BAD! But really that was the only incident that scared us. Most of it, was exactly like a precocious little kid and entertaining to us, granted we could just both be weird LOL

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lady_Tuatha
reply to post by LiberalSceptic

That is such a creepy story!
eeekkkk! Great story but im guessing its fabricated.

Kinda looks like Joan Rivers lol

Yeah it's a good story, but it's just that, a story. It's an old "creepypasta" that has been floating around 4chan for some time.

(A "creepypasta" is a scary/creepy story that is passed around on the internet and nobody really knows the original source. Like a modern urban legend.)

There are tons of originals on the internet though, like the Reddit one. When they are original stories posted by a user, they are referred to as "nopes" or "nope stories" because they are told from a first person perspective, and when people find themselves in a creepy situation the first thing that usually enters their mind is "nope" as in 'I'm out of here' lol.

Some more good ones on here, or just google "nope stories".
edit on 31-5-2013 by Xaphan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   
i enjoyed reading 10 AND 9. where on earth are the other 8 stories???

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   
An experience I had last night although maybe not the same but here it goes.

It was time for bed but the past couple of days have been in the high 80's. I only have an AC downstairs but went up to bed anyway. It was hot so a few minutes later I decide to go back downstairs. I live alone except the days I have my daughter.

When I got up I felt a presence (not unusual unfortuneately) and although it doesn't feel evil it never feels good. As I was walking through the dark hall with my Ipad (for light) I thought to myself I need to keep the area illuminated because I can "feel" something.

As soon as I thought that my foot steps on something pretty sharp but the timing man the timing with my thought. Almost like "it" was validating my thoughts. As I walk downstairs I am thinking of the "validation" and asking to it mentally "That was you wasn't it?" At that moment the Ipad goes out as I hit the bottom of the steps. Although I know my way around my house, i felt the need to stop and turn the Ipad light on. As soon as I do, I see the antanea from the TV's bunny ears is about 1 inch from my eye. I think to myself "come on, really?" "Now your just #ing with me". As I continue to the couch just before I'm ready to sit down I trip over my X-box controller and crash into the arm of the couch.

Perhaps I was just working myself up but I gotta tell ya, they way it all happened in rapid succession was like someone was sabotaging me. It was just weird.

I sat up on the couch for about 20min and stared into the darkness encouraging whatever is there to show itself as I am not intimidated. Needless to say nothing happened and I fell asleep.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Well heres my creepy experience, im 18 and me and myn parents moved into a house about 5 years ago now and the people who we bought it from were selling it for there mother who was in her 90's but anyways a few weeks after they bought the house we get told by the previous owners that thier mother had died and thanks for buying the house cause the money will pay for her funeral and whatever, so everything fine but than about two years ago s*** has started to get wierd i was alone about 16 at the time i woke up and was getting ready for school by brother and sister had already left and my step-dad was at work. i hear coughing coming from my parents room and since my mom smokes i think she is still home i call out for her but get no reply so i went and opened the door to her room and there was no one there, heres where it gets creepy we knew that the old lady was a heavy smoker so theres that but when i went in the room the air was felt very heavy and cold it was early june so im like 'okay im gonna get going" and as im about to grab my lunch the door slams shut harder than ive heard note there were no open windows i got the hell out of my house damn quick that day. Ever since that things have happened that ive only noticed in the downstairs living room i will be playing games or watching a movie and the door will open, i know its not drafts because i pull the door until i hear the doorknob thing click so it cant be opened with out turning the knob, but everytime i hear the doorknob turn and the door swing open, and i think yell at my brother or sister for bothering me, i dont do this anymore but i would get up and look for them and there is no one downstairs this combined with F-ed up dreams i have convince me that there is something here, this thing downstarirs has happened easily hundreds of times over the last two years so ive just come to accept it.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Rosinitiate

if this is a ghost its whats called a poltergiehst not a harmful one but it takes joy in messing with the living just to make itself happy there are these in a resteraunt called Dean House in my city they mess around with the cutlery and knock drinks on the floor ive always found this funny, so have fun

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiberalSceptic
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Haha ok so no more woods for me...
Unless I meet a Slenderman like this

edit on 30-5-2013 by LiberalSceptic because: (no reason given)

I think you might want to rethink that statement:

RUN!

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   

The freakiest thing that ever happened to me, I can never repeat. But lets say it made two other morticians quit that day.
reply to post by thedeadtruth

You CAN NOT post a teaser like this and not share the story!!!!!

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Lady_Tuatha

I am an actual survivor of a suicide attempt. I am not proud of this, yet, I forgive myself, as the act was as spontaneous as breathing.

Taos, NM 1983.

A house can get pretty messy when a teenager and his 10 year old brother, live alone in it, for about 3 weeks.

Empty milk cartons, various paper/garbage, daily living items and toys were put in a blender and strewn about.
The dishes stopped piling up when the food ran out. We didn’t even have enough peanut butter to set the mouse traps; one of our favorite daily distractions and sources of fun.

Mom finally came home. The stench that followed her when she was drinking was enough to light. I imagine it was her guilt that triggered her intense reaction to the disarray the house was in. I put my hands up to defend the onslaught.

I was already bleeding while in the air. That was my “slow motion” thought as I sailed out of the bay window, (backside of a raised- ranch type second story). Before I hit the ground, I noticed what seemed like a hundred “nicks” on my arms.

The jolt didn’t surprise me as much as the fact that I was already on my feet and stumbling toward the back yard ravine, relatively unhurt for what I had just done. I had unconsciously tucked into a perfect somersault as I hit the ground. Presto!! I cried anyway. My suicide attempt was a total failure ..lol.

Just as that was happening, (my suddenly half-sober Mom dabbing, trying to put out the red flares up and down my arms), my good friend, Mike S., from Santa Fe, was arriving in the driveway. His mother let him out and drove away without knowing the mayhem that was taking place. Mike had planned to stay the weekend.

Mom could turn on a dime. I was shuffled in and Mike stared. Mom went into smiley/jokey mode. I said it’d be all right. I got some band-aids on; Mike and I jumped bikes and went to smoke some weed somewhere; I finally did not have to babysit my brother.

**DELAYED PREFACE: That morning, I had awoken to find .. a very unusual item lying next to my bed. (Kids don’t miss much, especially hyper-aware children of alcoholics.) So I knew when I saw the hoop earring of concentric circles, so very old that it teetered on dust, that something was “up.”**

The August evening slowly fell dusk. Mom now wanted to be friends and I swallowed more than just the beer she bought us hoping this wasn’t another round of her flirting with my buddies. It could get pretty disgusting sometimes and Mom probably was more MILF than I realized then,(unfortunately for the whispers I’d hear in High School.)

The earring had been a topic for a while as Mom denied ever seeing it or owning it. Mike and I did a fake? ritual, (like a couple of stoned teens would) and placed it in the center of a round glass table in the sunken living room, down from where the fireplace was.

Time went and I was relieved that Mom wasn’t bending over for phantom dust specks or have a bruise way up on her thigh that my friend should look at, yet …

Mike and I went to look at the earring. The sunken room now only lit by the deflected kitchen light. We both immediately noticed that the room was as cold as ice. We could see out breath. I remember it was August because we had commented that it simply cannot be that cold! What’s the date again?

Back up to the living room and it was much warmer, August again. Wow. We were feeling pretty creepy as if that earring wasn’t right. That room is like a freezer.

POP… swwooooooooosh of a bottle rocket!! POP POP POP .. the unmistakeable timing and sound and smell of firecrackers going off … WTF ..seriously caught us off guard and it seemed timed like as we paused to consider the earring and the cold .. the DUDS that I had put in the fireplace from 4th of July ……all went off at once.

A thick sulfer cloud mixed with the reefer smoke. We didn’t know what to do .. we started laughing. We laughed and laughed .. really hard .. as if the steam was being let off a kettle. A stray POP and we’d laugh some more.

It looked as if the 4th was over, Mom was slumped and out.

Mike and I went back down into the cold, almost ICY now room again and looked at the earring. I couldn’t focus on it. It almost seemed as if the damn thing was a cartoon. I was at 17, already a professional pot smoker , but hey … maybe I am that high.

Then we heard it. BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM … an incessant pounding… pounding.. I thought it was coming from the roof! Mike thought the basement … we were kind of split as to what to do.. where to look… We stumbled around and suddenly NOTHING was funny anymore.. we were terrified as this .. not knocking..but ..as if a dufflebag of adobe bricks was being slammed rapid fire against ..something …. You couldn’t pinpoint it …

The beer seemed to take over both of us. My feet became wooden, no agility; my brain wanted to shut down. The pounding wouldn’t stop.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   
. Mike seemed to be in the same shape as he dove for the couch. I laid down in front of the dormant fireplace with the afghan. We were out.

Morning.

(Young hangovers aren’t as bad as old guy hangovers I don’t think. I don’t drink much anymore.)

Before cereal, before bong hits, before pissin…. We both had to look …

It was gone.

That earring was gone.

edit on 31-5-2013 by sayiamu because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   

reply to post by Boderm Youre awfully rude, how do you know that shes not telling the truth? There are ALOT of old houses like that here in NC Til you can prove it, or Smylee admits its a lie, stop accusing people of lying You deny ignorance that way
reply to post by HomerinNC

Not sure what was said, since the comment's been removed, but my story was the truth.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Ah ok. Daaa#n them and their tricky miiiinds!!

Well I guess it is nice to know that the story is most definitely not real.

reply to post by Clairaudience

Suddenly not so nice!
edit on 31-5-2013 by LiberalSceptic because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Okay, brilliant thread! Whether true or not, these stories and urban legends are nonetheless very chilling and entertaining! I made the mistake to read this thread in the dark—so much for sleeping!

Most of you know my spookiest stories, but I’d like to take this opportunity to present a few unsolved mysteries of my own that I haven’t posted about yet. All three of these stories take place in my grandmother’s house. I admit, they’re not exactly as creepy as the other stories that have been posted, but rest assured, as they happened to me, I was terrified.

I used to stay up very late in the summers, most nights not going to bed until well after 3AM. It’s hot here so that means the windows were always open. I stayed up watching TV with the volume low and began to hear this growl.

At first I thought maybe it was the neighborhood dogs, but then I heard them all barking. No, this growl was much louder and sounded nothing like a dog. From my 2nd story bedroom window, it sounded like it was out on the front lawn. It was an otherworldly growl that almost sounded a little like intelligent speech, but it was very loud. After a few instances of it making its weird noise, all the dogs on the block were going wild! They were all barking mad.

I was so scared, absolutely frozen because I could hear this thing moving around out front. I turned off the TV with the remote and just lie in the darkness terrified, listening to this thing, trying to figure out what it was. I wanted to look out the window to see what it was, but I was too much of a chicken.

There is a motion-sensor light out front and whatever made this sound did set off the sensor, so the light was on out front as it was growling. We’ve never had wild cats or coyotes or anything of the sort around here (aside from the fact that it didn’t even sound like an animal of any kind!)

After a few minutes, all the dogs just stopped and the weird growling noise stopped as well. The front porch light went off and I lied there for a long time before falling asleep. It was such a loud noise I figured that it must have woken someone up in the neighborhood, or at least the barking of all the dogs would have.

No dice! No one I asked heard a thing and my grandmother said I was crazy. But I knew I heard something out there that didn’t belong.

A few summers later I had moved down into the garage after converting it into a den. I fell asleep one night watching TV in the early AM hours as usual. I woke up suddenly to the sound of loud television static. Nothing unusual so far.

But as I slowly fumbled around for the remote to turn off the TV, my eyes still filled with grogginess—I began to hear this sound. I listened closely because it was rather unusual on top of the static hiss. After a few moments I realized what I was hearing. For some reason I could hear the bleating of sheep—dozens of them!

Needless to say, this flipped me the heck out! I couldn’t figure out why I was hearing this or where it was coming from. I tried turning the channel on the TV to another station. Nothing but static; the cable must have been out.

The bleating sheep didn’t stop! After a few more moments the cable kicked back in and I could no longer hear the sheep.

It was really strange, and to this day I am at a complete loss to explain this mysterious sound. It seemed to be coming through with the static hiss of the TV, but I’m not sure how or why.

But apparently, hearing strange, unexplained sounds in this house is a recurring motif for me.

A night home alone as the adults were out gambling and such, I was using the downstairs restroom which is in a hallway adjacent to the central living room. I heard the front door open and close as I was finishing up my bathroom business. I thought the adults were home and just finished up and washed my hands etc.

I heard someone sit down at my grandfather’s desk (which was technically in the same overall room as the entrance living room.) His office chair had a distinct squeaking sound. But I heard talking—and these weren’t my grandparents, parents, aunts, uncles etc.

I heard someone swiveling around in the chair squeak, and talking. The voice reminded me of some—1930’s mobster voice, like something out of a noir film. I couldn’t make out all of what they were saying, but it went something like, “Ok, you check down this way,” and “You check upstairs.”

I thought for a moment that maybe I was hearing a TV or something, but soon rejected that because it was not possible—no TVs on, no one else in the house at all. I could hear footsteps moving through the house, and I turned off the bathroom light so no one in the hall would see it as they passed by.

I listened, listened, listened, but heard only the squeak of the chair. Then it sounded like some shouting happening upstairs. What the H is going on?!, I thought. I couldn’t figure out if the house was being robbed or what. It just seemed so surreal. I couldn’t figure it out at all. I heard shouting upstairs and movements as if there were a scuffle between two people. Then I heard what sounded like someone’s head being dunked in water—splashing water, gurgling, and someone else shouting.

After hearing that, I couldn’t figure out why there would be a fight during a house robbery, or why I was hearing water etc. I was so puzzled and crippled with fear—thinking that at any moment someone would check the room where I was hiding. I was sweating, shaking, and worried that someone would hear my breathing and force open the door.

After waiting for what was probably about 30-60 minutes. All the noises, all the voices, all the squeaking stopped. I didn’t want to take any chances and just bolted out the bathroom door, through the front door, and ran down to the corner of the street.

So there I was waiting outside for about another hour barefoot waiting for the adults to come home. I wasn’t sure whether to bug a neighbor—it was already kind of late—or just wait until someone came home. I was just too terrified of being in that house that night.

After the adults came home, they inspected all the rooms and found no signs of disturbance. Naturally, they just dismissed my whole account.

No, I don’t “hear things,” but good guess. These were just some scary-at-the-moment stories I experienced in that house, but could never quite explain. Yep, I’m a big ‘fraidy-cat
I promise these stories are true (at least from my perspective,) and are not likely the result of some audio hallucinations. If I were going to make up some stories, I’m sure I could have made up something scarier than sheep bleating at me through the TV!—you just can’t make this stuff up!

(By the way, my grandmother has admitted to seeing, hearing, and feeling presences in that house as well. Not only her, but my friend at the other end of the block has experienced similar phenomena. As far as I know, my grandparents were the first inhabitants of the house. I'm not sure what was going on with the land before it was developed, but a lot of people around these parts are convinced that we live in a haunted area.)

Thanks again, OP, for the fun thread.

edit on 31-5-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

i was riding home from work with friends and saw a guy sitting in road they wanted to stop i said keep driving and we circled back around the the block with lights out and watched the guy had 3 others waiting to car jack anybody who stopped we called cops from cell phones and got them arrested .

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   
This might end up a 2 part story because there is a lot to it and I ran out of room. Here goes:

When I was 13 years old, my parents basically told us that they had bought a new house and were all excited about it. The house was in an upper middle class neighborhood, right off a golf course, and they wanted to show us our new home. They warned us before we arrived though that the house was a little strange but they said that they had gotten a great deal on it and were going to be totally renovating it so don't get thrown off by it. Understatement of the century there. The first thing that I saw as we entered it was the "Blue Room", which was the living room. Everything in it had been painted with the same baby blue paint and when I say everything, I do mean everything including the cherry mantle and the rough white marble fireplace. Even the carpet was the same sky blue. It was pretty overwhelming and this kind of weird redundancy was in every room of the house. In the two family rooms, there was a really bizarre and immense floral patterned wallpaper on the walls and massive curtains in that same exact pattern. It gave the house a kind of crazy fun house effect.

But that wasn't even the worst part of the house because when you entered the long hallway that lead to all of the bedrooms, the first thing I saw was that each door to the bedrooms had a two sided key deadbolt--one of those deadbolts that takes a key on either side to get in or out of. All four bedrooms had these deadbolts on their doors...deadbolts like these: homeguides.sfgate.com... No kidding...

My parents showed me what was going to be my room, which they called the "mushroom room" as the super redundant large scale pattern in there was a 70's mushroom wallpaper and fabric on the walls and windows. Even the light switch in the room had mushrooms on it. I walked into the center of the room and just started bawling my eyes out, begging my parents to change their minds about the house because it was so bad. My parents took it that I was referring to how it was decorated and the deadbolts and assured me that they were going to rip it all out but I was just talking about the house, itself, being bad. I got called a spoiled brat and my parents spent over $60,000 renovating the house.

I always had trouble sleeping and so staring up at the ceiling, unable to go to sleep, was kind of my routine. In that house, it was a major routine as I would hear footsteps moving across the ceiling, going up and down the hall and through my room, always stopping at the same point where there was a tiny dark spot in the ceiling. Upon investigation, I discovered that that tiny dark spot was actually a circular hole that had been drilled straight through to the attic space. I was thoroughly creeped out by that in conjunction with the footsteps. When my sister and mother (parents split soon after we moved in) were gone, I checked their rooms and sure enough, each room had a tiny circular hole in it in where the only logical place for a bed could be (other walls had the closet, doorway or window preventing bed placement). It made me super nervous at that point and I always felt like I was being watched at night.

To add to it, sometimes we would smell this horrible smell like something had died in the kitchen. My mother had already explained to us why the house had gone into foreclosure because we kept getting mail for the same woman. Apparently, a family had lived there and then the parents split and the wife got the house. She ended up disappearing and the mortgage on the house went into default and foreclosure. That's how they got the great deal on it so we started half joking that the smell in the kitchen was probably the missing ex-wife buried under the house. It was a half joke though that made us uneasy. We ended up living there for three years total and then, moved out. I never discussed the footsteps I heard with either my sister or my mother. We all fought pretty intensely because our belongings had a nasty habit of disappearing from our rooms and appearing in one of the others so we all suspected each other of petty thefts.

A few years later, the three of us were out for dinner and my sister and I had brought dates. I had told mine about this house and how disturbing it was and I was absolutely mollified when my date brought up the subject of the house. I was shocked though to see both my mom and sister turn white as sheets and my sister started rapidly talking to me about the things that she had experienced in it, including the footsteps and the holes in the ceilings. She and I talked about the missing stuff and for the first time, we realized that the other really hadn't been stealing from us. My mom just sat there, looking horrified at what we were saying. On to part 2....

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join